We clearly are not signing anyone in January

201 posts
NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

We clearly are not signing anyone in January

by NR_Royal » 17 Dec 2010 14:56

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 10,00.html

"At the same time, prices in January, especially if looking for a forward, are very often over-inflated and the market is never simple with every single club hoping to improve their squad, and goalscorers always rated at a premium."

"The manager does have some funds available, but at the same time he has described prices as 'phenomenal' and that may well prove prohibitive in a search for an attack-minded player."

"The club sold Gylfi Sigurdsson last summer, with the vast majority of that money covering the shortfall after our £12million Premier League parachute payments came to an end. The shortfall would have been larger save for a successful FA Cup run, and that run helps enable the manager to have some funds available."

"We're so, so close [with our performances], and I know people will be fed up of listening to me saying that, but that's how I feel and I won't change that view."

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: We clearly are not signing anyone in January

by loyalroyal4life » 17 Dec 2010 15:06

NR_Royal http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2246410,00.html

"At the same time, prices in January, especially if looking for a forward, are very often over-inflated and the market is never simple with every single club hoping to improve their squad, and goalscorers always rated at a premium."

"The manager does have some funds available, but at the same time he has described prices as 'phenomenal' and that may well prove prohibitive in a search for an attack-minded player."

"The club sold Gylfi Sigurdsson last summer, with the vast majority of that money covering the shortfall after our £12million Premier League parachute payments came to an end. The shortfall would have been larger save for a successful FA Cup run, and that run helps enable the manager to have some funds available."

"We're so, so close [with our performances], and I know people will be fed up of listening to me saying that, but that's how I feel and I won't change that view."

Would say it is moreso a statement to help soften the blow should no one come in or to aid fans in realising not to expect more than 1 player

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 17 Dec 2010 15:53

Sack the board etc.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 17 Dec 2010 16:03

Marketwise, I'm not quite sure why prices should be "phenomenal". With so many clubs in financial difficulty or tightening their belt and with the economic crisis, you'd think there'd be a lot of players floating about cheaply in the system. Last year there were a whole lot of good forwards available for loan in the Jan window, such as Luke Varney.

pace=forster

by pace=forster » 17 Dec 2010 16:06

STEVEY COPPELL'S BARMY oxf*rd!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Dec 2010 16:20

Top of the list of signings should be a new chairman and manager.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 17 Dec 2010 16:35

Just how surprised will anyone be when we dont bring new blood in to the club in January, we have to ensure that we keep the status qou, being in the championship....................but desperate to get back to the Premiership !!

johnny5

by johnny5 » 17 Dec 2010 16:47

The only signing we'll make is Leigertwood on a permanent deal!....

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 17 Dec 2010 17:06

Can someone please explain why we have a £12m shortfall? I know in literal terms, we've had £12m less due to the parachute payments ending this year, but this only becomes a shortfall if we've increased our spending whilst we were receiving the extra cash, which we haven't.

To really simplify what i'm saying, it's like getting a much higher salary for 2-3 years and buying a couple of nice cars and maybe a new yard. Then you get demoted and have to sell your prized possessions, for even more then you ever paid for them. Yet despite having sold them and having still received an over-inflated salary for two extra years, you still claim you're suffering from a shortfall.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 17 Dec 2010 17:10

I thought it was quite common knowledge that the Club had their overdraft facilities drastically reduced and therefore major funds were needed sharpish.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 17 Dec 2010 17:12

Hugo - it was reported in the summer of 2009 that the Bank wanted the overdraft repaid and media reports rightly or wrongly suggested that was done by selling Doyle, Bikey and Hunt and releasing the likes of Hahnemann and Lita. Although I appreciate there are always major expenses to be paid in the running of a Football Club it is the fact that each year the information coming out of the Club indicates a debt or other major expense appears to have been dealt with only to find it quoted again the following year which frustrates many fans.

As for not making a significant signing in January this can not be a great surprise to anyone really. We need a goalscorer and they are the most expensive type of player. if any proven ones are available there will be a number of Clubs in for the player, most of which will be prepared to bid more than the sort of money SJM will make available so we are a non runner.

What worries me even more is that I cannot see why the situation would change in the summer. In fact presumably the Club will be looking to raise money from sales once again making it a very worrying time for Reading fans except those that judge the Club on its balance sheet rather than it's league position.

windjammer
Location: Now living down in Cornwall, but missing the Royals

by windjammer » 17 Dec 2010 18:09

Plymouth will probably be having a fire sale to pay off their debts to HMRC. Bradley Wright-Phillips anyone? Being reralistic he wouldn't be a major signing but capable at Championship level and more goals in him that Long or Church I suggest. I still think Noel Hunt will come good again when fully matchfit. Also recall David Mooney when his loan is up and at least give him a run on the bench as an impact sub. I still don't beleve he has been given his fair share of chances in the team. His record on loan at Norwich, Charlton and Colchester is not that bad. The likes of Long and Church on loan at that level would not have done any better, probably worse.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 17 Dec 2010 19:41

Elmer Park
As for not making a significant signing in January this can not be a great surprise to anyone really. We need a goalscorer and they are the most expensive type of player. if any proven ones are available there will be a number of Clubs in for the player, most of which will be prepared to bid more than the sort of money SJM will make available so we are a non runner.

What worries me even more is that I cannot see why the situation would change in the summer. In fact presumably the Club will be looking to raise money from sales once again making it a very worrying time for Reading fans except those that judge the Club on its balance sheet rather than it's league position.

Absolutley, and this is why I have that horrible sinking feeling that if we avoid relegation this season, we wont next season. Next summer will come and go and Kebe is bound to be the next asset to leave to balance the books.. McAnuff as well, maybe, as he's a high wage earner and there will always be interest in him from better Championship clubs.

We've had a few seasons now of going backwards and sadly it looks likely to continue for a few more years, or at least until a new buyer, if he's out there, comes in.

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 17 Dec 2010 19:47

Apart from idiot chairmen, Football is skint. Get over it.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 17 Dec 2010 20:42

Massive WTF on this one, the club stated we had a £4m short fall at the start of the season now they're saying £12m needed to be recovered? the fact is when you consider sale of players plus high earners being released we probably have about £2m to spend. that's enough to buy a decent championship striker.

sack the board

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Dec 2010 21:34

johnny5 The only signing we'll make is Leigertwood on a permanent deal!....

I hope we send him back to QPR permanently, he's utter shit.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Dec 2010 21:37

Royalee

your opinion, and you are welcome to it...but (not for the first time) you are wrong

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Dec 2010 21:42

AthleticoSpizz
Royalee

your opinion, and you are welcome to it...but (not for the first time) you are wrong

In your (wrong) opinion...

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Dec 2010 21:43

ner nah ner ner nah

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Dec 2010 21:54

blueroyals Massive WTF on this one, the club stated we had a £4m short fall at the start of the season now they're saying £12m needed to be recovered? the fact is when you consider sale of players plus high earners being released we probably have about £2m to spend. that's enough to buy a decent championship striker.

sack the board

Good point - where are the new numbers coming from?

The cup run wouldn't have been budgeted for this time last year - particularly after we drew Liverpool out of the hat.

201 posts