Mooney set for exit

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Mooney set for exit

by LoyalRoyalFan » 04 Jan 2011 14:57

According to fellow Reading fans, Dave Mooney has stated on his twitter that he will not be returning to Reading after his loan spell finishes.

It finished yesterday and could be on his way to Colchester on a permanent basis. Colchester fans seem to rate him, as have other loan clubs, which makes you wonder whether he should have had a real try here.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Mooney set for exit

by super darren caskey » 04 Jan 2011 15:03

That depends on if we bring in a striker in this window.If we do then no he can go! If we dont then yes we should give him a go.He would be worth a punt

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jan 2011 15:08

dont get the "should have had a go here" stuff for mooney- never looked anyway near good enough to me.

imo its much the same with those calling for antonio to be draughted straight into 1st team football here

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 04 Jan 2011 15:09

i suspect his stats on loan are not great,and mainly in a lower division. good luck to him.

It Is What It Is

by It Is What It Is » 04 Jan 2011 15:10

brendywendy dont get the "should have had a go here" stuff for mooney- never looked anyway near good enough to me.

imo its much the same with those calling for antonio to be draughted straight into 1st team football here

Antonio > Seol > Mooney

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Jan 2011 15:11

I liked the look of him v Burton
but the fact is he's not prolific, even at a lower level

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jan 2011 15:23

brendywendy dont get the "should have had a go here" stuff for mooney- never looked anyway near good enough to me.

Totally agree Brendy!

I've seen him play a few times and I've not seen anything to make me think he deserved a chance above any of our other forwards.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 04 Jan 2011 15:44

LoyalRoyalFan According to fellow Reading fans, Dave Mooney has stated on his twitter that he will not be returning to Reading after his loan spell finishes.

It finished yesterday and could be on his way to Colchester on a permanent basis. Colchester fans seem to rate him, as have other loan clubs, which makes you wonder whether he should have had a real try here.

He was here for several seasons and in all that time, no manager saw fit to really give him a chance.

or

he wasn't quite good enough

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jan 2011 16:08

It Is What It Is

Antonio > Seol > Mooney

seol (for 6 months in 2006/07) >>>>>>>>Antonio>>>>>mooney imo

but ill let you orf

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 04 Jan 2011 16:36

LoyalRoyalFan According to fellow Reading fans, Dave Mooney has stated on his twitter that he will not be returning to Reading after his loan spell finishes.

What give him a real try just because he is rated by League 1 fans?

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 04 Jan 2011 17:15

Sensible thing to do would be to use him as leverage to get someone else.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Jan 2011 17:40

Our only hope of getting Austin might be a player swap using Mooney as bait. He is proven at League 1 level and would be a replacement for Austin.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Jan 2011 17:52

andrew1957 Our only hope of getting Austin might be a player swap using Mooney as bait. He is proven at League 1 level and would be a replacement for Austin.

So they give us Austin plus how much for Mooney?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Jan 2011 17:53

Snowball
andrew1957 Our only hope of getting Austin might be a player swap using Mooney as bait. He is proven at League 1 level and would be a replacement for Austin.

About 500K would seem fair :lol:

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 04 Jan 2011 18:17

Bit of a shame imo, thought he could have provided us with the 4th striker we need, at least until the season. This season it seems as though he's continued on from last season's playoffs when i thought he was excellent and could become a decent Championship player. I'm guessing either the club or the player (or both) don't think its beneficial though to keep him on if he's going to struggle to be a starter for us.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Jan 2011 19:16

andrew1957
Snowball

About 500K would seem fair :lol:

To be honest, I would accept Austin and 400,000

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 04 Jan 2011 20:10

KC Royal Bit of a shame imo, thought he could have provided us with the 4th striker we need, at least until the season. This season it seems as though he's continued on from last season's playoffs when i thought he was excellent and could become a decent Championship player. I'm guessing either the club or the player (or both) don't think its beneficial though to keep him on if he's going to struggle to be a starter for us.

Coppell brought him to Reading maybe he'll take him to Palace?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Jan 2011 11:12

The Vital Football site says he's gone, no confirmation on the OS though:

Mooney signs for Col U

Royals striker David Mooney has left the Royals after 2 and a half years at the club and signed for Colchester United. The Irish striker was signed from Cork in the summer of 2008 by Steve Coppell but never made a league appearance for the club. He featured regularly in the Carling Cup though and scored twice in last season's fixture against Burton.

He has spent a lot of time out on loan at the likes of Norwich and Charlton. He spent the first half of this season at Colchester and his form there has convinced the U's to sign him on a permanent deal.

It's a shame to see a player leave who has never really been given a chance to prove himself at the club, especially considering the lack of strikers at the club in recent season's. Im not saying he would have scored the goals to get us promotion but he can consider himself very unlucky never to have got a chance.

Read more: http://www.reading.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... z1AFdgw9k8

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 Jan 2011 11:57

Barry the bird boggler The Vital Football site says he's gone, no confirmation on the OS though:

Mooney signs for Col U

Royals striker David Mooney has left the Royals after 2 and a half years at the club and signed for Colchester United. The Irish striker was signed from Cork in the summer of 2008 by Steve Coppell but never made a league appearance for the club. He featured regularly in the Carling Cup though and scored twice in last season's fixture against Burton.

He has spent a lot of time out on loan at the likes of Norwich and Charlton. He spent the first half of this season at Colchester and his form there has convinced the U's to sign him on a permanent deal.

It's a shame to see a player leave who has never really been given a chance to prove himself at the club, especially considering the lack of strikers at the club in recent season's. Im not saying he would have scored the goals to get us promotion but he can consider himself very unlucky never to have got a chance.

Read more: http://www.reading.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... z1AFdgw9k8

http://www.cu-fc.com/page/News/0,,10424~2259538,00.html

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 12:11

I really find this odd, unless he's expensive or we really ARE buying a striker.

David Mooney 22 (2) appearances 4+5 = 9 Goals

Surely that's good enough for our 3rd/4th striker and he's DIFFERENT