GONE - Michail Antonio to Sheffield Wednesday

342 posts
Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

GONE - Michail Antonio to Sheffield Wednesday

by Wizard » 06 May 2012 15:09

According to reports in twitter, they've bid £750k for him.

RockheadRumple

Re: RUMOUR - Michail Antonio to Sheffield Wednesday

by RockheadRumple » 06 May 2012 16:23

:evil:

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 06 May 2012 16:26

For that price and a decent sell on fee I think it would be in everyone's best interest from him to move.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 06 May 2012 16:44

Ask for £1.5m and put it towards the Gylfi fund.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 06 May 2012 17:10

urz13 Ask for £1.5m and put it towards the Gylfi fund.

F/ck the 'Gylfi fund', it'll never happen! Now that we're in the prem the fans think we can buy players instead of building them up (a la Shane Long and Jimmy Kebe). We shouldn't just let go of Antonio, he's still young (23 years old) and the man will be great for us one day I tells ya!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 06 May 2012 18:06

I think we should loan him to Sheff Weds up to January and see how he gets on in the championship. If he sets the division alight and we're struggling a bit in the Prem, we have him back. Quite simple really.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 06 May 2012 18:08

RockheadRumple
urz13 Ask for £1.5m and put it towards the Gylfi fund.

F/ck the 'Gylfi fund', it'll never happen! Now that we're in the prem the fans think we can buy players instead of building them up (a la Shane Long and Jimmy Kebe). We shouldn't just let go of Antonio, he's still young (23 years old) and the man will be great for us one day I tells ya!

Agree..we don't need the money..so put him out on loan to Sheff Wed for another season if need be...we need to remember the lad is still relatively young and also he stepped up from Tooting, so he's had a lot of learning and development to go through....he obviously has the potential ...so not let's not lose that, he could be worth a whole load more in the future, than the figure being quote in this thread

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 May 2012 18:47

Norfolk Royal I think we should loan him to Sheff Weds up to January and see how he gets on in the championship. If he sets the division alight and we're struggling a bit in the Prem, we have him back. Quite simple really.

Why would they agree to a six month loan? They're building a team for the Championship and he's one of the players that got them there. They aren't going to want to have to replace him in 6 or even 12 months.

As good a job as he's done for them, he still showed very little at our level and he's frighteningly raw for the PL. The best move for him, them and us, is to sell him to them for decent money and bring in someone like Jarvis to really challenge Kebe and McAnuff. HRK for emergencies. If we hadn't gone up and TSI weren't in, then he's looking like he'd be a decent bet to replace Kebe for the Championship now. But we've moved on.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 06 May 2012 19:14

Ian Royal
Norfolk Royal I think we should loan him to Sheff Weds up to January and see how he gets on in the championship. If he sets the division alight and we're struggling a bit in the Prem, we have him back. Quite simple really.

Why would they agree to a six month loan? They're building a team for the Championship and he's one of the players that got them there. They aren't going to want to have to replace him in 6 or even 12 months.

As good a job as he's done for them, he still showed very little at our level and he's frighteningly raw for the PL. The best move for him, them and us, is to sell him to them for decent money and bring in someone like Jarvis to really challenge Kebe and McAnuff. HRK for emergencies. If we hadn't gone up and TSI weren't in, then he's looking like he'd be a decent bet to replace Kebe for the Championship now. But we've moved on.

IR...to be fair he hardly got the opportunity to have a consistent run in our team...for the clubs, albeit at a division below, where he did just a decent run in team (Soton and Sheffield Wed) he impressed management and fans enough for us to receive bids from both clubs (Sheffield Weds subject to confirmation)....I wouldn't right him off just yet ....he's hardly going to cause a blackhole in the clubs finances to keep on our books ....and Jarvis won't come to Reading, he'd expect to be a starter each time ahead of JMc and JK

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 06 May 2012 19:22

Ian Royal

We wont get Jarvis. Heard today we are very close to signing Garath McCleary from Forest. That's one winger in for free, and one winger out for £750k. I would have to check but I'm sure McCleary is Forest's POTS, so he arguably improves the squad, and it's a few quid in the coffers towards other signings.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 May 2012 19:26

Next season we need to pick a 25 man squad and if Antonio wants to be in it he needs to be good enough to play in the PL. It's alright saying he's not going to cost much to keep but if he isn't good enough for the PL he is taking up a place in the 25 that we could give to someone more capable. Be that in the current squad or someone coming in through a transfer.

We have to be tough with these guys now, there are no more passengers, we fell short last time we were there partly because of being too patient and loyal with players.
Last edited by sandman on 06 May 2012 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 May 2012 19:29

talking with a Sheff Wed fan last night and he was absolutely raving about Antonio. They clearly really want to keep him up there.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 06 May 2012 19:41

Friday's Legacy
Ian Royal

We wont get Jarvis. Heard today we are very close to signing Garath McCleary from Forest. That's one winger in for free, and one winger out for £750k. I would have to check but I'm sure McCleary is Forest's POTS, so he arguably improves the squad, and it's a few quid in the coffers towards other signings.

Why would they agree to a six month loan? Because they get a player they want for six months.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 06 May 2012 19:52

hold out for close to 900k

urz13
Hob Nob Regular

by urz13 » 06 May 2012 20:19

Ian Royal

So what you're saying is, if Hoffenhiem offered us Gylfi on a 6 month loan, or Barcelona offered us Messi on a 6 month loan, you'd turn it down :?:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 May 2012 21:09

In mentioning Jarvis, I only meant someone with a bit more proven quality at a higher level.

TBH I'm not surprised Antonio did well in a lower league, he's quick, strong and his finishing and crossing isn't awful. But he's been pretty clumsy and a bit clueless from what I've seen of him for Reading.

Antonio obviously fits well with Wednesday's team and is established there. It's much easier, IMO, to step up a division in a team you are already playing in. I don't think he's really skillfull or tricksy enough for our wing slot and asking him to step up two divisions for the odd game doesn't seem particularly sensible to me.

I have no problem with keeping Antonio, I just think it's better for all concerned for him to go to Weds for £500k+

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 May 2012 21:10

urz13
Ian Royal

So what you're saying is, if Hoffenhiem offered us Gylfi on a 6 month loan, or Barcelona offered us Messi on a 6 month loan, you'd turn it down :?:

If you're asking me would I build an entire team at a new level around a single player who'll only be there six months, the answer is no, I wouldn't.

It's just not very clever to build a team that will be guaranteed to need signings just to replace someone, let alone improve it further, in six months time.

comeonyouroyals

by comeonyouroyals » 06 May 2012 21:33

Ian Royal If you're asking me would I build an entire team at a new level around a single player who'll only be there six months, the answer is no, I wouldn't.

It's just not very clever to build a team that will be guaranteed to need signings just to replace someone, let alone improve it further, in six months time.

Where does it say anywhere that they are building the team around Antonio? I don't see why they wouldn't want to loan him as it frees up some of their funds and they can test the player at that level and if his he isn't up to it then they haven't lost anything on him.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 06 May 2012 21:37

sandman Next season we need to pick a 25 man squad and if Antonio wants to be in it he needs to be good enough to play in the PL. It's alright saying he's not going to cost much to keep but if he isn't good enough for the PL he is taking up a place in the 25 that we could give to someone more capable. Be that in the current squad or someone coming in through a transfer.

We have to be tough with these guys now, there are no more passengers, we fell short last time we were there partly because of being too patient and loyal with players.

Sandman ...fair point...but there's other too that I'd question being good enough for PL ...., Church, Mills, possibly Tabb and even HRK...

urz13
Hob Nob Regular

by urz13 » 06 May 2012 21:42

comeonyouroyals
Ian Royal If you're asking me would I build an entire team at a new level around a single player who'll only be there six months, the answer is no, I wouldn't.

Where does it say anywhere that they are building the team around Antonio? I don't see why they wouldn't want to loan him as it frees up some of their funds and they can test the player at that level and if his he isn't up to it then they haven't lost anything on him.

I think it would be a difficult task to build a team around a winger. A midfielder or centre forward yes, a winger no. So what you are saying, IR, is that you wouldn't have Messi for 6 months, but would rather completely ignore him, because you would have to spen money to replace him? Surely by having him there you would gain more points than you otherwise would, and you can worry about replacing him once the time comes... I think Wednesday would jump at the chance of a 6 month loan for Antonio just as any club would with Messi.

342 posts