The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

1445 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

by Hoop Blah » 31 Mar 2014 17:17

sandman
Extended-Phenotype Think we have bigger problems to solve than which very decent keeper to play.

Agree with that btw. It's just the double standards that are applied to them by the likes of Hoop Blah and Ian Royal that I have a problem with.

No double standards, I just think the weaknesses that McCarthy displays (and if you read what I've posted I do agree that Federici's kicking is better than McCarthy's) have less of an impact on his position as our first choice goalkeeper than the areas where Federici is the lesser keeper.

sandman Once again Hoop Blah despite your attempts at appearing to be reasonable you are replying to a pre conceived idea of the poster rather than the point they are making.

Hardly, I'm just pointing out that you being a dick about Federici all the time (amongst other things) diminishes the credibility of your other post and certainly reduces the chances of me bothering to reply to one of them (not that you'll be crying over that of course)

sandman Obviously McCarthy is not going to distribute it badly all the time and when he doesn't have to think about where he has to place it and to find a player he can get it quite far. Being able to get it over the halfway line doesn't necessarily mean he has improved his kicking even you could probably kick it over the halfway when you're not busy being a tosser. I'd rather look at who he is finding with his kicks and it is more often than not an opposition player.

I think you're the one using preconceived opinion to compare their kicking. So much of the effectiveness of a keepers long kicking depends on the quality of the opposition defenders and the ability of his own team to win the ball that your judging of it is almost impossible to be otherwise.

Unless you know what McCarthy (or Federici) is aiming at or been told to do with his kicking how can you judge his ability. If you watch him warm up you can see his ability to put the ball where he's aiming isn't too bad (I'd say Federici and Bibbo's is better though).

sandman If I was playing a game as you put it I would have denied that McCarthy played well at all on Saturday as you and others so regularly do when Federici plays and has a good game. Then again, this is a trend when it comes to home grown players on here. Case in point Hector was pretty poor on Saturday, including a mistake that put Huddersfield through, fair play he was out of position but he has played there before in the SPL against the newly crowned Scottish Champions so it's not entirely new to him. If Akpan had played like that then you and others would have got the pitch forks out. Hector gets the "he's young and inexperienced" excuses whereas Akpan who is just a year older and is playing his first season at this level doesn't.

Obviously Hector gets a bit of break because it's one of his very few appearances in a Reading shirt and he was playing out of position. We haven't spunked money on bringing him in as a Premier League player and then seen him turn out quite a few sub-par performances.

As it happens Akpan got lots of praise and consideration when he first came into the side. Possibly more than Hector got because we knew he was thrown into the deep end. His credit and the patience shown to him has dwindled with the passing (the irony) of every poor performance, bottled tackle and basic error.

sandman I don't see why that even when McCarthy's manager has said this season that he needs to work on his kicking that I get abuse for saying the same thing. You might want to dismiss kicking ability but if he wants to be the player that so many insist he's going to be then he needs to improve on it because the likes of Valdes and Neuer prove that the top keepers have to have ability with the ball at their feet.

I've already agreed with you that McCarthy's kicking needs work on. The difference between Adkins and you is that Adkins has rightly stoof by the keeper he's made his first choice, for valid reasons, instead of dropping him for a weakness of relatively low importance.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Mar 2014 17:32

sandman Once again Hoop Blah despite your attempts at appearing to be reasonable you are replying to a pre conceived idea of the poster rather than the point they are making.

Maybe if you didn't turn yourself into such a caricature, you'd be happier with the responses you get.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 03 Apr 2014 21:49

McCarthy is statistically the best keeper in the division so far this season; makes for impressive reading.

(According to whoscored.com)

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: The Great Keeper Deb8

by Platypuss » 27 Sep 2015 10:36

blueroyals Why am I not surprised? Snowball jumping to the defence of players hoping for a repeat of the Shane Long saga.

Here's some facts for you.

Federici has been shit the last 4 games
Church was shit last season
Shane Long was shit all the time save for his last season with us

I don't give a shit about how Federici played last season. He is playing shit now and should be dropped.

We don't give a shit about your statistics showing us that because Church managed to score some tap ins he is actually the best striker in our team either.

oxf*rd off.

3 years later, nothing changes.....

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 03 Dec 2015 22:05

I posted much earlier, keepers make teams.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Dec 2015 22:06

All summer he had and was al-dropsi really the best he could get?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Dec 2015 22:09

I'd prefer to play Bond. At least when (and it is when, not if) he fcuks up there is the chance he will learn and improve. Al-Habsi is just an utter joke.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 03 Dec 2015 22:12

CountryRoyal I'd prefer to play Bond. At least when (and it is when, not if) he fcuks up there is the chance he will learn and improve. Al-Habsi is just an utter joke.

Just about on the button.....but still doesn't fill you with confidence.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Dec 2015 22:18

Dick Habbin's hairdo
CountryRoyal I'd prefer to play Bond. At least when (and it is when, not if) he fcuks up there is the chance he will learn and improve. Al-Habsi is just an utter joke.

Just about on the button.....but still doesn't fill you with confidence.

Of course not, but even when we were playing well it was the keepers inadequacies that were the talking point. Just because as a team we've become shit doesn't mean that goes away. It purely confounds the issue. Definitely new keeper needed in January. If not then stick with Bond, good form or bad.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Dec 2015 23:15

So... I was slated by some for suggesting that we may lose points for having mistake prone keepers. More points lost due to this problem. Lost count how many points we've lost. How many do we think it'll be come the end of the season. The difference between playoffs and not perhaps?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Dec 2015 23:22

Al-Habsi: capable of having great games, instills more confidence in his defence, drops endless clangers.

Bond: all round mediocre, inspires no confidence.

Talk about no good options.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Dec 2015 23:26

Ian Royal Al-Habsi: capable of having great games, instills more confidence in his defence, drops endless clangers. Only going to get worse.

Bond: all round mediocre, inspires no confidence. Potential to improve.

Talk about no good options.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Dec 2015 23:26

Tbh I don't think Bond is the answer, but Al-Habsi certainly isn't.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Dec 2015 23:31

CountryRoyal Tbh I don't think Bond is the answer, but Al-Habsi certainly isn't.

Al-Habsi has at least had some good games though. PotM for November if i heard correctly.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Dec 2015 23:36

Ian Royal
CountryRoyal Tbh I don't think Bond is the answer, but Al-Habsi certainly isn't.

Al-Habsi has at least had some good games though. PotM for November if i heard correctly.

Only good by his standard, and the bar is pretty low.

If that last bit is true it's honorary as no one deserves that award.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Dec 2015 23:51

CountryRoyal
Ian Royal

Only good by his standard, and the bar is pretty low.

If that last bit is true it's honorary as no one deserves that award.

Not having that. He's played well by anyone's standards during his league run, bar the last couple.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 04 Dec 2015 14:19

Al Habsi had a great game against Bolton.

I haven't seen the goal from last night on TV yet. Was it as bad as they say? It was difficult to see from Y23

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 04 Dec 2015 14:27

You heard it here first - Rafael from Brazil was due to join us in January as our new goalkeeper, but this might not happen now that SC has been sacked. But who knows - he's clearly quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6h0ncaPLlI

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Dec 2015 14:30

SLAMMED Al Habsi had a great game against Bolton.

I haven't seen the goal from last night on TV yet. Was it as bad as they say? It was difficult to see from Y23

weak far post header straight at him that he contrived to spill into the inside side netting. I make no exaggeration when I say that I would save that 99 times out of 100. And I'm oxf*rd awful in goal.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 04 Dec 2015 14:34

SLAMMED Al Habsi had a great game against Bolton.

Ade was slatting him last night after seeing several replays, I have only seen one but it seems he may have been partial unsighted by the playesr around him?

1445 posts