Proud to be a Reading fan tonight

138 posts
Very near...far away

Re: Proud to be a Reading fan tonight

by Very near...far away » 31 Oct 2012 11:58

Always proud to be a fan. Even if occasionally disappointed by results.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Oct 2012 12:02

yeah^^this i guess
also proud of attacking attitude and play throughout the match, and for nearly beating arsenal for the first time

if im reallly scratching around for reasons to be proud that is

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 31 Oct 2012 12:15

Sometimes it is worth listening to the words of a child.

My lad's (7) asssessment of the game last night, that it was a good result. In his eyes/words we scored 5 goals against Arsenal, who are better than us. He has gone away in awe of a game where he had no time to wonder where Kingsley was, no time to decide he needs to visit the gents 5 mins in to the second half and no time to question why Daddy is using bad language. The smile on his face was immense.

OK so we can't pass for toffee. The first half showed what we can do, the second half showed what we can do also.

Yes, I'm worried, but for the last three years we have started badly, and look what happened then. If we go down so be it. There is so much more than the Premier league. Interestingly, I've actually managed to have a conversation this morning with my Football hating Partner about the game, in which she managed to feign interest for longer than a minute. A straight forward game would not have brought that to me. So today I am thankful.

I'll always be proud to be a Reading fan, whatever the result, whatever the situation.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 31 Oct 2012 12:19

PistolPete Yes we lost. Yes we lost after being 4-0 up. But we had the character to come back from 4-5 (and got beaten by a team with £40m worth of striking talent on the pitch.)

We showed that we can put on one of the greatest games of football this country has ever seen.

Why blame Anton for not spending? We're not down yet and there's no certainty that any big money signings would have paid off. Why blame the manager for trying a 'togetherness' theory? Maybe it's not too late to change his mind. Why blame Roberts for talking on the radio as if he should be playing football better? He seemed alright to me tonight. Why blame McDermott for making a sub in injury time? The net gain in time for Arsenal was zero.

You lot are a moaning and fickle lot - Shorey was not wanted and not good enough but McDermott proved us wrong. He proved us wrong on Shane Long, he proved us wrong on Leigerwood, he proves us wrong time after time so let's just accept he'll make the odd mistake and is as good a man as any to move us forward...

We were 5 seconds from a fantastic win, let's not forget that...

I agree with the general sentiment of your post. It is pointless to moan and whine about what we should have done, when we may well turn a corner if we keep going. There were positives to take from last night, though they are hard to think of right now. We scored five goals! We showed charactor to keep fighting to the end. Some of our B-team players had decent games, for example, Morrison and Robson-Kanu.

I don't however share your sense of being proud tonight. Throwing away a 4-0 lead is not on. But maybe this is the kick up the arse we need. If we didn't know before, we certainly know now that we need to do something differently in how we defend! Put Pearce in for Gorkks? A new defensive coach?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Oct 2012 12:24

I didn't go last night and watched it on TV instead. However, my son and Schards went and my son was incredulous that a lot of RFC fans were clapping enthusiastically at the end of the game. He was just numb - couldn't believe what he'd seen. What were people clapping exactly? Our ineptitude? :|

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 31 Oct 2012 12:26

PistolPete Yes we lost. Yes we lost after being 4-0 up. But we had the character to come back from 4-5 (and got beaten by a team with £40m worth of striking talent on the pitch.)

We showed that we can put on one of the greatest games of football this country has ever seen.

Why blame Anton for not spending? We're not down yet and there's no certainty that any big money signings would have paid off. Why blame the manager for trying a 'togetherness' theory? Maybe it's not too late to change his mind. Why blame Roberts for talking on the radio as if he should be playing football better? He seemed alright to me tonight. Why blame McDermott for making a sub in injury time? The net gain in time for Arsenal was zero.

You lot are a moaning and fickle lot - Shorey was not wanted and not good enough but McDermott proved us wrong. He proved us wrong on Shane Long, he proved us wrong on Leigerwood, he proves us wrong time after time so let's just accept he'll make the odd mistake and is as good a man as any to move us forward...

We were 5 seconds from a fantastic win, let's not forget that...

I'm with you mate. At least we're interesting, even if we lose! I'm 100% behind McD (oo err!). I'd be devestated if he lost his job. The half wits who are calling for his head and moaning aren't real RFC fans. None of them have been to elm park and watched bottom tier football. With Roberts back (another great McD/ Anton signing) we've got a chance, and our defensive record should improve with him holding it up better. I'll always support reading. PS, i'd rather lose 7-5 than 2-0.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 31 Oct 2012 12:27

Spirit of Elm Park Sometimes it is worth listening to the words of a child.

My lad's (7) asssessment of the game last night, that it was a good result. In his eyes/words we scored 5 goals against Arsenal, who are better than us. He has gone away in awe of a game where he had no time to wonder where Kingsley was, no time to decide he needs to visit the gents 5 mins in to the second half and no time to question why Daddy is using bad language. The smile on his face was immense.

OK so we can't pass for toffee. The first half showed what we can do, the second half showed what we can do also.

Yes, I'm worried, but for the last three years we have started badly, and look what happened then. If we go down so be it. There is so much more than the Premier league. Interestingly, I've actually managed to have a conversation this morning with my Football hating Partner about the game, in which she managed to feign interest for longer than a minute. A straight forward game would not have brought that to me. So today I am thankful.

I'll always be proud to be a Reading fan, whatever the result, whatever the situation.

Slounds like your 7 year old son is infinitely more sensible than the "we must win every game Chelsea brigade" that post on here.

I agree that it was a fantastic game and a great advert for football.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Oct 2012 12:27

always clap the players off no matter what happened. they go out there and try their all
i applaud their effort, the goals they scored, their comeback to 5-5, the way they never stopped or gave up, the sheer entertainment, and emotional rollercoaster of the game
and the shirts they wear on their on their back, and badge on their chest.

its also about showing solidarity, and support, and trying to lift clearlly devastated and deflated players
Last edited by melonhead on 31 Oct 2012 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Oct 2012 12:28

Had we been 4-0 down and came back to lose 7-5 I might agree with some of you on here. But quite what was so great about losing in the manner we did, I really can't fathom :|

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Oct 2012 12:29

melonhead always clap the players off no matter what happened. they go out there and try their all
i applaud their effort, the goals they scored, their comeback to 5-5, the way they never stopped or gave up, the sheer entertainment, and emotional rollercoaster of the game

its also about showing solidarity, and support, and trying to lift clearlly devastated and deflated players

They didn't ALL give their all though did they? Did you clap Gorkss and Gunter? I thought they were pretty appalling for the most part. :|

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Oct 2012 12:30

Spirit of Elm Park Sometimes it is worth listening to the words of a child.

Well said.

What matters is do we fight, do we try. Embarrassment is for when we don't try.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Oct 2012 12:31

nothing was gr8 about losing.
there were plus points though. and the players ran themselves into the ground for our entertainment
better than turning your back on them, or booing,

anyway you sour faced old haggis, you didnt even bother going!
not sure your in any position to tell anyone hwo they should or shouldnt behave at the final whistle

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 31 Oct 2012 12:31

Royal Lady
melonhead always clap the players off no matter what happened. they go out there and try their all

They didn't ALL give their all though did they? Did you clap Gorkss and Gunter? I thought they were pretty appalling for the most part. :|

I would agree that those two players had a mare and Fed was not great but everyone else gave 100% and most had a good game. Is it then right to boo off all those who did well?

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Oct 2012 12:32

Im Proud to be a Reading Fan and have and always will be but that last night that second half performance was just embarrassing

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 31 Oct 2012 12:33

Royal Lady

I don't think it was through lack of effort.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 31 Oct 2012 12:34

Embarrassed.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Oct 2012 12:34

Royal Lady

of course they gave their all. they ran until fit to drop, they gave every ounce of themselves to stay in the game
it just wasnt enough.
nothing to do with their effort

guntyer wasnt appalling, had a half decent game, overshadowed by a mental ducked header for their 7th
gorkss had a bit of a mare on occasion, but also put in some great tackles and headers.

and even if you accept they were awful for the ewhole game and dont deserve any applause, what about hunt and roberts, what about ledge, mcleary, HRK etc

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Oct 2012 12:36

andrew1957
Royal Lady

I would agree that those two players had a mare and Fed was not great but everyone else gave 100% and most had a good game. Is it then right to boo off all those who did well?

No where have I said that people should boo. I merely asked why you'd CLAP a performance that we'd just witnessed. Just a bit of indifference towards the team might make them realise that they'll be losing the fans' patience if we have any more of that display - so it might jolt them, and McD and Gibbs, into actually trying harder and for McD to play the best players he's got, not the ones he doesn't have a problem with.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 31 Oct 2012 12:37

Certainly not proud of the defensive display we put on last night. First 35mins we played very well though.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 31 Oct 2012 12:38

I have just realised that the difference of opinion here is our basic attitudes about the game.

I have and always will just love football. It has never been just about winning for me - so I can enjoy a great game even if we lose. I would much rather see my team show some fight and lose 7-5 than lose 3-0 and not putting a fight up at all.

It seems others are only interested in supporting a team that wins at all costs and seem embarrassed by the result. Frankly if you feel like that why on earth support a team like Reading FC. You really should be supporting Man U.

The only time I feel embarrassed is when the team don’t appear to be giving their all.

138 posts