Not down yet!

BenSmith91

Re: Not down yet!

by BenSmith91 » 24 Feb 2013 22:01

Royal Prince
BenSmith91 Far from doomed but can only see a maximum of 3 points from March. Anyone care to disagree?

I care to disagree.

Out of interest how many points did you forecast for January and February?

10. And you?

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 24 Feb 2013 22:09

BenSmith91
Royal Prince
BenSmith91 Far from doomed but can only see a maximum of 3 points from March. Anyone care to disagree?

I care to disagree.

Out of interest how many points did you forecast for January and February?

10. And you?

Seven on previous form so was pleasantly surprised, and thanks for asking.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Feb 2013 22:10

SPARTA Oh grow up. Watching games online is very different to watching the game live! You can count on one hand the good performances we have put in at home this season, and we haven't won away.

The wee run of form was great, but have some perspective yourself; we were chasing the games after giving away yet more goals, and we got lucky when we threw everything at it with the final minutes. That isn't form as such, it's good fortune. Yesterday may well be a one off, but nevertheless, we make very few chances at home and even less away, and March's fixtures are brutal. If we're less than 3 points behind 17th when we enter April then I'll be very surprised. And FWIW, it wasn't a dig. You see a lot more when you're at the game than you do watching on telly or a laptop! The players positioning, lack of movement off the ball, with the ball, their drive or lack of, etc.. I know you have a fair old way to travel, and I applaud you for getting to the games you get to; but you cannot rely solely on an opinion based largely on games watched online.

hmmm

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Feb 2013 04:47

BenSmith91 Not gonna slam the team or Brian. I'm just left with a nagging feeling of frustration. Both McDermott and Coppell have/had the same mantra that the players earned the right to play in the top division and therefore will not invest a large amount of money on players as other teams do. While others may look on and applaud this for lil 'ole Reading for giving it a go - it is just so inherently wrong that it is now beyond laughable that we are repeating the same mistakes and look odds-on to go down.

'Cardiff boss Malky Mackay will be handed a £50m war chest if he takes them into the Premier League...'

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 25 Feb 2013 05:19

BenSmith91 Not gonna slam the team or Brian. I'm just left with a nagging feeling of frustration. Both McDermott and Coppell have/had the same mantra that the players earned the right to play in the top division and therefore will not invest a large amount of money on players as other teams do. While others may look on and applaud this for lil 'ole Reading for giving it a go - it is just so inherently wrong that it is now beyond laughable that we are repeating the same mistakes and look odds-on to go down.

well said. could not agree more, alot of fans will walk away if/when we go down, so fecking frustrating to say the least, we didn`t learn a single lesson from the last time did we?..all that celebrating at the end of last season counts for absolutely nothing now, i stood in the rain in Friar street thinking its got to be different this time..how wrong I was.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 25 Feb 2013 06:55

We can't assume that the other 3 relegation sides won't also fcuk up, however the chance of all three of them fcuking up with us not doing it again are very slim.
It's one thing losing 3-0 at home to a top side, but not someone below us in the league.
I imagine the Pog will leave for one, and we might go back to 4-4-2, but if we don't come straight back up next year we'll lose the entire squad, apart from simon church!

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 25 Feb 2013 07:07

April is the month that will decide Reading fate.

6th April - Southampton Home
13th April - Liverpool Home
20th April - Norwich City Away
28th April - QPR Home

We will need at least 8 or 9 points from these games.

BenSmith91

by BenSmith91 » 25 Feb 2013 13:36

Denver Royal

'Cardiff boss Malky Mackay will be handed a £50m war chest if he takes them into the Premier League...'

They might spend a bit more than £5m...

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Feb 2013 13:41

Denver Royal 'Cardiff boss Malky Mackay will be handed a £50m war chest if he takes them into the Premier League...'

I love the phrase, 'war chest' which only ever seems to be used in connection with football. You never hear that the MOD have promised troops in Afghanistan a 'war chest' or even a 'football chest'.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 25 Feb 2013 13:45

Royal Prince Oxf*rd me you guys are a negative shower of shite!

What a massive over reaction to one performance. Yes it was a piss poor display, and yes it was against a relegation rival, but it was one bloody game. To anyone saying that we're definitely down, and that you can't see where the wins will come from, may I steer your attention to the form table in which we currently reside in 6th, with So'ton 14th, Wigan 15th, Villa 17th & QPR 20th.

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, and right now I wouldn't put any money on who will stay up given how tight things are, but we're far from bloody doomed :evil:

Best post of the thread. Wish others would stop overreacting to one bad performance out of not many recently.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Feb 2013 13:46

windermere_royal

well said. could not agree more, alot of fans will walk away if/when we go down, so fecking frustrating to say the least, we didn`t learn a single lesson from the last time did we?..all that celebrating at the end of last season counts for absolutely nothing now, i stood in the rain in Friar street thinking its got to be different this time..how wrong I was.

Good we don't need them and if they walked away just because of a relegation they wouldn't be fans in the truest sense of the word anyway.
Last edited by sandman on 25 Feb 2013 14:08, edited 2 times in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Feb 2013 13:52

sandman Good we don't need them and if they walked away just because we got relegated they wouldn't be fans anyway.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I think the fact that there would be 8000 empty seats at most home games suggests that 'not needing them' isn't really the case, sadly :cry:

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 25 Feb 2013 14:11

It's all a bit ironic really.

If we do stay up, the players that keep us up, apart from one or two, will all be moved on as they are simply not able to keep us up for 2 years running playing like they have done this season

And if we go down most will move on as we will not be able to afford their jumped up Prem salaries or they will invoke escape clauses....

So either way, it is not hard to work out why they are playing with what looks like minimal commitment is it?