Dariusz Wdowczyk

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Dariusz Wdowczyk

by Archie's penalty » 20 Mar 2013 18:34

Our ex-defender Dariusz Wdowczyk has returned to management after three years of being banned due to a match-fixing scandal.

What are your memories of Dariusz? I just remember him being a superbly cultured defender who was great in that wonderful 1994-5 season.

Also does anyone have any footage of him playing for Reading/doing interviews etc?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Dariusz Wdowczyk

by Ian Royal » 20 Mar 2013 18:47

One of my favourite ever players. Very few of our CBs have come even close to matching his quality since. He was just so calm and he could play the ball out of our defence better than anyone else I've seen.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Mar 2013 18:48

One of the best ball playing cb's I've seen at reading had an awesome freekick on him how he never scored for us is one of lifes great mysterys.... next reading manager odds?

Divvy

by Divvy » 20 Mar 2013 18:51

Archie's penalty

Our ex-defender Dariusz Wdowczyk has returned to management after three years of being banned due to a match-fixing scandal.

What are your memories of Dariusz? I just remember him being a superbly cultured defender who was great in that wonderful 1994-5 season.

Also does anyone have any footage of him playing for Reading/doing interviews etc?

@rightbankwarsaw
Does anyone have any footage of Wdowczyk playing for #readingfc? What a great defender he was. Wonderfully cultured.

:?:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 20 Mar 2013 18:56

Divvy
Archie's penalty

@rightbankwarsaw
Does anyone have any footage of Wdowczyk playing for #readingfc? What a great defender he was. Wonderfully cultured.

:?:

Yep, that be me, Well found :D

Divvy

by Divvy » 20 Mar 2013 19:01

I used to deliver the Reading Evening Post to him when he lived down Westwood Glen in Tilehurst. Almost 20 years ago. Wow.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Mar 2013 19:03

Divvy I used to deliver the Reading Evening Post to him when he lived down Westwood Glen in Tilehurst. Almost 20 years ago. Wow.

Csb you going to offer anything to the thread? He is a legend after all

Divvy

by Divvy » 20 Mar 2013 19:15

WoodleyRoyal
Divvy I used to deliver the Reading Evening Post to him when he lived down Westwood Glen in Tilehurst. Almost 20 years ago. Wow.

Csb you going to offer anything to the thread? He is a legend after all

Yeah, he still owes me a weeks papers :wink:

Best centre-back I've seen at the club. Always calm and looked to pass the ball out from defence. No long aimless balls. He and Ady Williams were superb together.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Mar 2013 19:21

33/1 with Sky Bet

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 20 Mar 2013 19:25

Pepe the Horseman 33/1 with Sky Bet

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 20 Mar 2013 19:27

For anyone who never saw Dariusz play, you really did miss a total gem of a player. The veritable 'could open a can with his left foot'. He was the kind of player we would just love to have now, let alone when we were at little ol' Elm Park. Elegant, skilful, found time when there was none to be had. One of our best players, ever...without question.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Mar 2013 19:42

Agree absolute class for one season - 1994/95 but very injury prone after that and cannot remember him being a regular much after that season. Had a massive bust up with Quinn after a defeat at West Brom (I think) and fell right out of favour, initially refusing to play for Quinn again.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Mar 2013 19:44

Archie's penalty

There's lots of footage of him out there - he played Vs Bolton in the playoff final as a sweeper in a 5 man defence

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Mar 2013 19:44

Archie's penalty

There's lots of footage of him out there - he played Vs Bolton in the playoff final as a sweeper in a 5 man defense

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 20 Mar 2013 20:00

Where can that match be found?

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 20 Mar 2013 20:04

Unquestionably one of the best centre backs , if not the best to ever play for RFC , IMHO

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Mar 2013 20:05

Absolute legend...probably the best centre back I've ever seen play for the club except maybe Upson when he was on loan here.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 20 Mar 2013 20:05

Not just a great defender, but without doubt one of the classiest players ever to wear the hoops. Just a dream of a left foot and never appeared hurried. Standing on the Tilehurst End with friends and family watching him play for the first time in a pre-season friendly before the start of the 94/95 season, he pinged a 50-yard cross-field pass to Gilkesy that was just sublime. We all looked at each other and just thought 'How the fu ck did we get this guy?'. One of McGhee's best-ever signings.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Mar 2013 20:26

Ark Royal Not just a great defender, but without doubt one of the classiest players ever to wear the hoops. Just a dream of a left foot and never appeared hurried. Standing on the Tilehurst End with friends and family watching him play for the first time in a pre-season friendly before the start of the 94/95 season, he pinged a 50-yard cross-field pass to Gilkesy that was just sublime. We all looked at each other and just thought 'How the fu ck did we get this guy?'. One of McGhee's best-ever signings.

Would love to have seen that side in the prem - and at elm park

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 20 Mar 2013 20:27

Ark Royal Not just a great defender, but without doubt one of the classiest players ever to wear the hoops. Just a dream of a left foot and never appeared hurried. Standing on the Tilehurst End with friends and family watching him play for the first time in a pre-season friendly before the start of the 94/95 season, he pinged a 50-yard cross-field pass to Gilkesy that was just sublime. We all looked at each other and just thought 'How the fu ck did we get this guy?'. One of McGhee's best-ever signings.

^ This. He could pass the ball onto a fifty-pence piece...to feet with barely a glance. Magic.