11k is a ridiculous capacity to try to entertain those wages

Were they going to expand?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Zip » 31 Jan 2021 15:36

South Coast Royal
Mr Optimist
From Despair To Where? Someone did reply to that asking if they were watching the same game.

I do get the impression that some are trying to rekindle a rivalry, that from our standpoint, never existed in the first place

It’s quite sweet really. Some on there really seem to hate us from old Division 3 days of the 70s and 80s, and really bizarrely seem to consider calling us “the biscuits” is massively insulting to us. I much prefer that to being called The Royals, would be happy if we went back to being the Biscuitmen personally.

Same here-have never liked being a Royal.

Me neither.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Jan 2021 15:42

+1
I entered this crazy ride as a ‘Biscuitman’

Would prefer to exit it as one.

Apart from that, a great club nickname....even if the biscuits are United nowadays (UB)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Jan 2021 15:46

South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where? Whilst this whole "bigger" club arguement doesn't usually bother me, as the clubs who usually play that card at least have something to back it up like bigger crowds or a history of winning trophies, to hear it from Bournemouth is laughable when they would struggle to win that arguement with half of League 1.

In the past 12 years, we've spent more time in the top 2 divisions than they have in their history.

Most of the fans down here have lived the dream of the past 5 years and know that it could only ever be temporary, so just enjoyed it.
As with all clubs some fans have this hang up about size of club but I have never heard any Bournemouth supporter suggest they they are bigger than Reading.
It's probably some little kids talking to our little kids.

The irony though is that they used to enviously refer to us as big spenders (from the Burns, Pardew times when we were the biggest spenders in Div 1) and yet they ended up spending small fortunes when they got to the Premier League and were heavily fined under FFP for overspending in getting there.

As with some of the other posters I don't get this stuff about any club being bigger than another however I do have a bit of sympathy for fans of clubs like Forest , twice European Cup winners having to watch the football in The Championship which let's face it generally is crap (e.g. yesterday Forest 0 Barnsley )when they for years watched top grade football.

I use Forest as an example because a good mate is a Forest fan who travels up to every home game from Bournemouth but on days like yesterday was probably glad about lockdown.

Are you sure they get fined for overspending to get promotion (I assume you are as you tend to be well informed)
FFP for EFL clubs is governed by EFL rules and once a club is not an EFL. Member they aren’t subject to those rules. Hence QPR driving a coach and horses through the rules but getting promoted and not being held to account until they got relegated again.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Jan 2021 15:48

AthleticoSpizz +1

Apart from that, a great club nickname....even if the biscuits are United nowadays (UB)

Would be a nice nod to the past to bring back the Biscuitmen name as part of the 150 year celebrations. Wecankeep theRoyals as well but why not have a link to the history of the club and the town ?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 31 Jan 2021 16:55

Nameless
AthleticoSpizz +1

Would be a nice nod to the past to bring back the Biscuitmen name as part of the 150 year celebrations. Wecankeep theRoyals as well but why not have a link to the history of the club and the town ?

As I was reading the above posts, I thought I am going to suggest we reinstate "The Bisciutmen" for next season. I won't bother now that I have been beaten to it.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 31 Jan 2021 16:56

Nameless
AthleticoSpizz +1

The Biscuitmen is a better nickname than The Royals. Why did they change it?

Lol @ Bournemouth. Is The Cherries any better than The Biscuitmen?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Jan 2021 17:00

We don’t make biscuits anymore...maybe?

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 31 Jan 2021 17:08

AthleticoSpizz We don’t make biscuits anymore...maybe?

When the Queen dies we won't have a royal family, so we might as well change back now.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Jan 2021 17:11

:lol: Yeah

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 31 Jan 2021 17:26

Jack Celliers

When the Queen dies we won't have a royal family, so we might as well change back now.

Is there a republican revolution I haven't been invited to ?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Jan 2021 17:40

The Gunners don’t make guns and I’m not sure there is much of a hat industry in Luton. NOTHIng wrong with referencing your history....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Jan 2021 17:49

You’ve won me over :)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Jan 2021 17:49

Just gotta make it happen 8)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Jan 2021 19:03

AthleticoSpizz +1

Agree, perhaps we should petition the club/STAR to find out if fans prefer biscuitmen or royals. Personally I prefer biscuitmen as it links specifically to the history of Reading.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jan 2021 19:05

Sutekh
AthleticoSpizz +1

Agree, perhaps we should petition the club/STAR to find out if fans prefer biscuitmen or royals. Personally I prefer biscuitmen as it links specifically to the history of Reading.

That's crackers!

And think of all of the media references to our defence crumbling (although less appropriate this season).
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 31 Jan 2021 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 31 Jan 2021 19:12

Nameless
South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where? Whilst this whole "bigger" club arguement doesn't usually bother me, as the clubs who usually play that card at least have something to back it up like bigger crowds or a history of winning trophies, to hear it from Bournemouth is laughable when they would struggle to win that arguement with half of League 1.

In the past 12 years, we've spent more time in the top 2 divisions than they have in their history.

Most of the fans down here have lived the dream of the past 5 years and know that it could only ever be temporary, so just enjoyed it.
As with all clubs some fans have this hang up about size of club but I have never heard any Bournemouth supporter suggest they they are bigger than Reading.

The irony though is that they used to enviously refer to us as big spenders (from the Burns, Pardew times when we were the biggest spenders in Div 1) and yet they ended up spending small fortunes when they got to the Premier League and were heavily fined under FFP for overspending in getting there.

As with some of the other posters I don't get this stuff about any club being bigger than another however I do have a bit of sympathy for fans of clubs like Forest , twice European Cup winners having to watch the football in The Championship which let's face it generally is crap (e.g. yesterday Forest 0 Barnsley )when they for years watched top grade football.

I use Forest as an example because a good mate is a Forest fan who travels up to every home game from Bournemouth but on days like yesterday was probably glad about lockdown.

Are you sure they get fined for overspending to get promotion (I assume you are as you tend to be well informed)
FFP for EFL clubs is governed by EFL rules and once a club is not an EFL. Member they aren’t subject to those rules. Hence QPR driving a coach and horses through the rules but getting promoted and not being held to account until they got relegated again.

They were fined around £12 million IIRC.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jan 2021 19:12

Nameless

The Gunners don’t make guns and I’m not sure there is much of a hat industry in Luton. NOTHIng wrong with referencing your history....

Luton has still got two hat manufacturers in the town. I thing the Woolwich Arsenal area still has some old guns in the area. Less likely to find any old biscuits lying around the Huntley & Palmer Building!

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 31 Jan 2021 19:14

Sutekh
AthleticoSpizz +1

You can count me in. So long as next time we play Brighton we can still force them to wear their pink away kit for our game at their place.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jan 2021 19:15

South Coast Royal
Nameless
South Coast Royal

They were fined around £12 million IIRC.

If they were, it wasn't until they got relegated back to the EFL. Also, I think at least part of their 'punishment' was that a loan had to be written off, which would seem to have helped them out rather than punished them.

4486 posts