Pre-season friendlies 2014

250 posts
ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Pre-season friendlies 2014

by ZacNaloen » 26 Jul 2014 19:37

He was in Australia last year tbf

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Jul 2014 19:38

tidus_mi2 I'm definitely interested to see how Edwards does this season, he always seemed like one of those players who was never going to be good enough so it's definitely a surprise to hear such high praise for him, especially since when it came to the youth players last season, no one was talking about him, it was all about players like Kuhl, Cooper, Tanner, Cardwell and Kelly.

But he didn't play for the youth team last season, he was out on loan in Australia.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jul 2014 19:42

Wycombe Royal
tidus_mi2 I'm definitely interested to see how Edwards does this season, he always seemed like one of those players who was never going to be good enough so it's definitely a surprise to hear such high praise for him, especially since when it came to the youth players last season, no one was talking about him, it was all about players like Kuhl, Cooper, Tanner, Cardwell and Kelly.

But he didn't play for the youth team last season, he was out on loan in Australia.

Well I get that but he's still a youth player, we still talk about them even when they're out on loan.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 26 Jul 2014 19:44

Echo the above - Edwards looks a real prospect but whether he can unlock Championship defences is another matter. I thought Blackman looked very good when he came on for the anonymous HRK - great close control to make space for shots at goal and unlucky with his 30-yarder on to the bar. Hector was excellent in midfield, protecting the back four well and looking to drive forward when he could. In his short cameo Kuhl looked very comfortable on the ball and put in a good corner. Main concern is lack of strength up front though Pog was lively and looked sharp.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Jul 2014 19:51

tidus_mi2
Wycombe Royal

Well I get that but he's still a youth player, we still talk about them even when they're out on loan.

Half the talk about the youth players last season was thanks to the club opening up viewing them play to many more people by streaming games live on Youtube.

Edwards was half the world away, so it's no surprise no one was watching him play or really commenting on how he was doing.

Obvs I'd like to see us scoring more, but it's positive Pog seems to be striking reasonably regularly. Blackman threatening too, and Taylor chipping in. Goals still look a weakness and it'd be nice if HRK could kick on too. But it's not a dreadful pre-season.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Jul 2014 20:14

Very enjoyable listening to it on Wycombe Player. Balanced commentary, excellent analysis, and they got the sound levels/distance from the mic right too which was a nice change. One thing i noticed though was how quickly the commentators picked up on the trends (all corners going to Pearce on the back post, Pog's strengths and weaknesses etc.). We still seem to be telegraphing everything we're going to do with little/no surprises.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 26 Jul 2014 20:21

I echo my comments made in the 'buyout' post....how anyone thinks we will be relegation material is beyond me. the good thing about not having an influx of players like teams such as Fulham in our league will be that those teams will need time to gel, whereas our boys all know each other. The youth prospects we had last year were top draw and it wasn't so long ago that City were sniffing around Kuhl even before he had featured on our first team bench let alone play for the team.

we can surprise a few teams and no doubt pundits this year. I for one hope the investment, if at all comes after the end of the transfer window, however transparent it is for non top flight clubs as the loan window is still open. it will mean the youth players get chance to feature.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 26 Jul 2014 20:28

In fairness he was playing on the other side of the world (although not exactly lighting the league up).

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 26 Jul 2014 20:37

wasn't his dad the manager at the time???

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Jul 2014 21:04

Did someone say Rylfi Edwurdsson?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Jul 2014 21:05

mikey0406 wasn't his dad the manager at the time???

Yes. And shit went down because of Alastair seemingly favouring his sons. The manager after he left didn't play him. His brother Cam was at Perth too (we signed the brothers together and released Cam a year later).

Perth tried to send Ryan back, but we rejected it.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 26 Jul 2014 21:10

Also HRK was oxf*rd. When you're outshone by Blackman within 5 minutes of his substitution you know you've not had a good day.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 26 Jul 2014 21:12

mikey0406 I echo my comments made in the 'buyout' post....how anyone thinks we will be relegation material is beyond me. the good thing about not having an influx of players like teams such as Fulham in our league will be that those teams will need time to gel, whereas our boys all know each other. The youth prospects we had last year were top draw and it wasn't so long ago that City were sniffing around Kuhl even before he had featured on our first team bench let alone play for the team.

we can surprise a few teams and no doubt pundits this year. I for one hope the investment, if at all comes after the end of the transfer window, however transparent it is for non top flight clubs as the loan window is still open. it will mean the youth players get chance to feature.

kinnel Did you go today?

Play it out from the keeper to Gunter/Obita.. Then what???

It all slowed down giving the Wycombe players time to re position before we lumped it up field to no one.

Wigan must be shitting themselves. So poor today so poor!

Left when we made the mass substitution. Very pessimistic about the up coming season. Our clueless manager has not learnt a thing from last season.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Jul 2014 21:19

Royality creeps In
mikey0406 I echo my comments made in the 'buyout' post....how anyone thinks we will be relegation material is beyond me. the good thing about not having an influx of players like teams such as Fulham in our league will be that those teams will need time to gel, whereas our boys all know each other. The youth prospects we had last year were top draw and it wasn't so long ago that City were sniffing around Kuhl even before he had featured on our first team bench let alone play for the team.

kinnel Did you go today?

It all slowed down giving the Wycombe players time to re position before we lumped it up field to no one.

Left when we made the mass substitution. Very pessimistic about the up coming season. Our clueless manager has not learnt a thing from last season.

Based on that post I would suggest you were the one who wasn't there.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 26 Jul 2014 21:25

Edwards MoTM.
Didn't think Taylor was playing that well. Missed so many chances, created mainly by Edwards. But then he got the goal before coming off, good finish making up for his poor finishing earlier on.

Pog looked completely unfit and had a horrendous first touch today. Probably the 2 goalscorers and HRK were our weakest performers.

Blackman and Tanner looked good when coming on.

Nice little stadium Wycombe have, great scenic views of the valley.

Cannot see us getting a result at Wigan with that team. Once we get a few back from injury we should be comfortably mid-table.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 26 Jul 2014 21:39

a season playing the youth and finishing a comfortable mid table....would take that!

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 26 Jul 2014 21:45

:shock:
Wycombe Royal
Royality creeps In

kinnel Did you go today?

Based on that post I would suggest you were the one who wasn't there.

EarleyRoyal16

by EarleyRoyal16 » 27 Jul 2014 07:50

First time seeing Edwards play and what a player. Obviously it'll be interesting to see if he can open up a Championship defense the way he repeatedly cut through the Wycombe one, but his ball control, dribbling and vision is something else. Also Blackman probably played the best I've ever seen him play, and Taylor was decent, Gunter and Obita excellent as always. Liked the look of Tanner and Kuhl, but Stacey is nowhere near ready. Let's hope our problems on the wing never get so bad we have to play him.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 27 Jul 2014 08:49

MOM Edwards by a mile.POG had a good game and HRK was awful.Also thought Taylor
wasted some good chances when fed by Edwards .Blackman looked sharp and had some good
shots on goal.Nice day out.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 27 Jul 2014 09:45

Not sure Edwards was that good but he certainly played some good passes and through balls. We totally dominated possession but had very little end product.

HRK missed a one on one and tamely shot wide, he was pretty poor. Taylor took his goal well and is looking less lightweight than when I last saw him. Otherwise it was a pretty decent work out and we always looked comfortable, unlike other preseason games I've been to like Bournmouth where we've been complete shit.

Lol of the day was Floyd shouting at Blackman "Don't shoot", so he then does a cracking shot that hit the bar.

250 posts