Fran Kirby

322 posts
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Fran Kirby

by WoodleyRoyal » 25 Mar 2015 14:57

would you though :?:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Mar 2015 18:17

sandman SPARTA as ITK as ever.

Before you take the p, I think you will find that the twitter account the link refers to is an account that is run on behalf of the women's team and that SPARTA is still correct, the main club account also tweets about the women's teams and players.

Like it or not, the women's team(s) is an integral part of the club, supported (not just financially) by the club and something that Reading Football Club is rightly proud of. Also, nowhere on HNA does it say 'Reading Football Club, men's teams only'.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 25 Mar 2015 18:48

RoyalBlue

Before you take the p, I think you will find that the twitter account the link refers to is an account that is run on behalf of the women's team and that SPARTA is still correct, the main club account also tweets about the women's teams and players.

Like it or not, the women's team(s) is an integral part of the club, supported (not just financially) by the club and something that Reading Football Club is rightly proud of. Also, nowhere on HNA does it say 'Reading Football Club, men's teams only'.

Debatable

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 25 Mar 2015 19:24

Saw her play for England v US in Feb. Considering she was sharing the pitch with some of the best players in the world and was the outstanding player, I really hope we hang on to her.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Mar 2015 21:07

WAZZOCK
RoyalBlue

Debatable

Care to debate why?

Froomes

by Froomes » 26 Mar 2015 05:06

RoyalBlue
WAZZOCK
Debatable

Care to debate why?

Well for a start if the women's team folded the club would continue to operate still, meaning the women's team are not integral to the club at all.

They may well be an important part of the club these days in terms of generating a wider fan base and encouraging greater participation in the female game but that isn't the same as being integral to the club I'm afraid...

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 26 Mar 2015 07:29

^

What he said.

Plus, playing their home games in a different County 45 minutes away, in front of barely 100 supporters. I think we'd manage if they weren't around.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Mar 2015 08:35

The ladies team is certainly an integrated part of the club, not sure it's really integral yet. It's good to be developing a decent ladies team and there is no real negative to doing so.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Mar 2015 09:44

WAZZOCK ^

What he said.

Plus, playing their home games in a different County 45 minutes away, in front of barely 100 supporters. I think we'd manage if they weren't around.

Attendance of 347 against Yeovil ladies, a small amount yes, barely 100, no.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Mar 2015 10:23

tidus_mi2
WAZZOCK ^

What he said.

Attendance of 347 against Yeovil ladies, a small amount yes, barely 100, no.

First game of the season was it not? May be a couple of weeks before you can get a more accurate idea of the amount of people who attend their games.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 26 Mar 2015 10:29

First game of the season and it was away.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 27 Mar 2015 18:35

Froomes
RoyalBlue
WAZZOCK
Debatable

Care to debate why?

Well for a start if the women's team folded the club would continue to operate still, meaning the women's team are not integral to the club at all.

They may well be an important part of the club these days in terms of generating a wider fan base and encouraging greater participation in the female game but that isn't the same as being integral to the club I'm afraid...

Only it depends on which definition of integral you use doesn't it!
definition: of, relating to, or belonging as a part of the whole; constituent or component:

Nowhere did I say that the men's club wouid cease to exist if the women's team folded.

My arm is an integral part of my body. It doesn't mean that I will die if I lose my arm!

And actually, I suspect the men's side is the more likely to fold in terms of financial risk. If that happened, I suspect the women's team would continue as, although it uses some club facilities and has access to some club staff, I believe it's main funding is independent of the men's set up.

Your second point i.e. important part of the club for the reasons you say, is the point I was making anyway.

And Wazzock, I'm no great fan of the Farnborough 'home' ground either (particularly when the tossers at the Highways Agency have completed f*cked up the M3 for the next year or so), although I do understand why the team have opted to play there.

WAZZOCK First game of the season and it was away.

And they had a surprising number of Reading fans attend, I believe. I also suspect they will attract more fans at home than Yeovil.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Mar 2015 18:39

To be honest that definition is a bit of a nonsense.
It defines 'integral' as meaning a part of something. So the ladies aren't an integral part, they are a part.
Currently there are fairly minor part, maybe one day they will become bigger and actually be integral but currently using a very weak definition of integral is the only way to make it so....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 29 Mar 2015 15:39

Nameless To be honest that definition is a bit of a nonsense.
It defines 'integral' as meaning a part of something. So the ladies aren't an integral part, they are a part.
Currently there are fairly minor part, maybe one day they will become bigger and actually be integral but currently using a very weak definition of integral is the only way to make it so....

In what way is using a dictionary definition (to support the way that I intended the word to be used/interpreted) 'using a very weak definition of integral'? ! :?

Anyway to return to the original topic of the post: Just 30 minutes into the team's second game (away at Barnet/London Bees) Fran has already scored another 4 goals. That makes 8 goals for her in just two hours play at the start of the new season!!

Edit: Took her foot off the gas - now only 9 goals in 3 hours play! :( :wink:
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 29 Mar 2015 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Mar 2015 16:00

RoyalBlue

In what way is using a dictionary definition (to support the way that I intended the word to be used/interpreted) 'using a very weak definition of integral'? ! :?

Anyway to return to the original topic of the post: Just 30 minutes into the team's second game (away at Barnet/London Bees) Fran has already scored another 4 goals. That makes 8 goals for her in just two hours play at the start of the new season!!

Well done to her but come on RB that's not the way you originally meant it and now you're pretending it is because people have challenged you.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Mar 2015 16:40

RoyalBlue

Because if you used "an integral part" to mean "a part", then the word "integral" is redundant.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Mar 2015 16:56

Jeez, it's just a bloody word. Who cares what a dictionary definition tells us?

Integral part or part... Splitting hairs. RB has told us what he meant.

Accept it and move on.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Mar 2015 17:27

Barnet 0 Reading 7 earlier today

No details but, no doubt, Fran scored (despite some of your unkind comments)

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 29 Mar 2015 17:46

As indicated above, she scored 5.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Mar 2015 17:48

Yip, respect, thank you

Sorry I never trawled back that far

322 posts