COMING SOON : Walsall (h) - FA CUP 4th Round - 30 Jan 2016

171 posts
Ian Herring

Re: COMING SOON : Walsall (h) - FA CUP 4th Round - 30 Jan 20

by Ian Herring » 24 Jan 2016 14:41

Winchester Royal I remember going up to the Bescot, quite early in a Division 2 season, when they were top and we were second. We had a perfectly good goal ruled out, apparently because Martin Butler was climbing on somebody's back. They then scored two goals and Jimmy Mcintyre got a 90th minute consolation. We then lost to them in the playoff final. Somebody crocked Tony Rougier and Howard Webb did nothing about it. I recall him having only reffed a handful of league games at that pint.

A couple of years later, we'd lost three consecutive games 3-0, to Palace, Stoke and Wimbledon. The next game was away at Walsall and we had no confidence at all. Nicky Shorey got a late free kick to equalise for us.

I was at that game at the Bescot.

They ran out of Balti pies.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jan 2016 16:48

Standard belief of what Reading FC means on their message website...

http://www.upthesaddlers.com/viewtopic. ... 1&start=60

"The Waitrose of football clubs...." :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jan 2016 18:07

Sutekh Standard belief of what Reading FC means on their message website...

Expensive, good class of clientel, quality producr and reasonably ethically sound?

Not sure how much of that I'd agree with.

biff

by biff » 25 Jan 2016 14:33

Ian Herring
Winchester Royal I remember going up to the Bescot, quite early in a Division 2 season, when they were top and we were second. We had a perfectly good goal ruled out, apparently because Martin Butler was climbing on somebody's back. They then scored two goals and Jimmy Mcintyre got a 90th minute consolation. We then lost to them in the playoff final. Somebody crocked Tony Rougier and Howard Webb did nothing about it. I recall him having only reffed a handful of league games at that pint.

A couple of years later, we'd lost three consecutive games 3-0, to Palace, Stoke and Wimbledon. The next game was away at Walsall and we had no confidence at all. Nicky Shorey got a late free kick to equalise for us.

I was at that game at the Bescot.

They ran out of Balti pies.

Seem to remember a last kick RFC winner ruled out for a dodgy offside? Still makes me angry...

Delboy

by Delboy » 25 Jan 2016 14:57

Their away record is very impressive, 8 wins 4 draws only 1 defeat! and they beat Brentford away last round. It will be tough.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Jan 2016 15:48

Ian Royal

Expensive, good class of clientel, quality producr and reasonably ethically sound?

They come across as a right bunch of twats.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Jan 2016 16:43

leon They come across as a right bunch of twats.

You have to question anyone, who lives in the Midlands with the selection of teams in the area to support, to pick Walsall.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 25 Jan 2016 17:39

Couple of quotes from the Warsaw forum:-

Reading are a contender for the most boring, nondescript football club in the top 4 divisions. No characteristics, no rivalries, no personality, and only notable from our perspective for being on the receiving end of a whooping in Cardiff. A complete omniyawn of an outfit.

Only one good thing ever happens in Reading, and thats on August Bank Holiday. And even then, its better in Leeds.

Can't wait for these jokers to roll up in town :roll:

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 25 Jan 2016 17:58

Delboy Their away record is very impressive, 8 wins 4 draws only 1 defeat! and they beat Brentford away last round. It will be tough.

Indeed, underestimate these at your peril, because they won't be parking the bus ..

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Jan 2016 18:21

leon
Ian Royal

They come across as a right bunch of twats.

They've got quite a lot in common with nobbers. They don't seem to like me very much.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 25 Jan 2016 18:25

Remember a few lively trips to the Bescot, was an absolute shithole, but what do you expect with all the workhouses round there.

:lol: @ them giving it the big'un, though. Especially when we outnumbered them 3 to 1 in Cardiff.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Jan 2016 18:42

We should definitely buy Bradshaw before Saturday and then it should make beating then much easier.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Jan 2016 18:44

Longhorn1970
Delboy Their away record is very impressive, 8 wins 4 draws only 1 defeat! and they beat Brentford away last round. It will be tough.

Indeed, underestimate these at your peril, because they won't be parking the bus ..

Good, it will work in our favour. We are notoriously bad (Huddersfield aside) at breaking down teams and the pace and our team's counter attacking abilities have always benefited from teams going at us.

If we're on our game there is no reason we couldn't comfortably beat these pretenders.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Jan 2016 18:54

The Cap Couple of quotes from the Warsaw forum:-

Reading are a contender for the most boring, nondescript football club in the top 4 divisions. No characteristics, no rivalries, no personality, and only notable from our perspective for being on the receiving end of a whooping in Cardiff. A complete omniyawn of an outfit.

One of the biggest cases of pot and kettle ever seen.

We don't have any rivals because we've surpassed all of them.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Jan 2016 20:39

Just to help you out, back at Elm Park our hard core stood on the South Bank, which ran along one side of the ground. So when we moved people tended to stick to the same relative positions and the singers chose the East Stand which also runs don one side of the pitch.
So it's like a 'tradition', high apparantly we don't have.
Love the lack of knowledge of our club on here by the way. No more than I'd expect as despite having been to both your grounds I know next to nothing about you beyond your horrible fluking of that win at Cardiff !
Enjoy your trip on Saturday. It's the first home FA cup draw we've had in the modern era so you'll appreciate how gutted we were not to get a big club.
Still, maybe in the 5th round

Who did this? :lol:

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 25 Jan 2016 22:50

andrew1957 We should definitely buy Bradshaw before Saturday and then it should make beating then much easier.

There are worse signings ? Yan ..

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2016 02:38

It's not just the thread about us which they demonstrate the highest degree of helmetry. I know an Internet forum isn't necessarily and shouldn't be an accurate representation of the club and its supporters as a whole, but they come across as such unjustifiably arrogant, ignorant toss pots. Some of their comments about us are so hypocritical as surely Walsall has to be the very definition of non-entity? A pussy zit in the arsehole the West Midlands. Perhaps it's a classic case of small man syndrome? Ways of compensating for their mediocrity and insignificance growing up surrounded by football teams which people actually know exist.

I love the irony in everything they say, but particularly the "lack of original songs" - whilst there is a certain amount of truth in that we're no different to most clubs, and certainly WaLOLsaLOLLOL aren't in any place to comment on such things, as demonstrated by this wonderfully tragic video linked bellow.

http://youtu.be/7MRpXPcfNP8

2 minutes of, and I quote "the full repertoire of songs". Even ignoring the bellend brigade and the stupid fukking accent that is a laughably embarrassing effort, especially on your big day out.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 26 Jan 2016 03:56

Don't usually bother reading other fan forums but glad I did as it will make beating them all the more :lol:
But seriously what a bunch of arrogant keyboard warriors giving it large, Walsall of all clubs hardly the most relevant club and think you will find more people who actually know where Reading is then fecking Walsall :D

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 26 Jan 2016 09:37

Walsall. Not a scenic place. I'm sure their club means a lot to them. It's likely that few people outside of Walsall know much nor care much about the town, the club or its fans. Bit like us, really.

But it does make things more interesting when supporters of other clubs make ill-informed statements about other clubs. So, good people of Walsall; let's have more of your unjustified prejudice and lazy stereotypes. Come 15:00 on Saturday it may help to liven up what is possibly the least enticing football fixture of recent years.

And I do quite like a pint of Banks's Mild. Nice and bland.

saddla

by saddla » 26 Jan 2016 10:25

greetings!
It's been a while since we last met. I've got my tickets for Saturday and thanks to the generous 10 quid admission there should be a few of us coming along.
We're not overjoyed at the prospect of this 4th round tie as I expect both of us were hoping for a more glamorous opponent, but such is the luck of the draw and it does give both of us a chance of being in the hat for the 5th round. As some of the earlier posters have noted we are doing rather well away from home at the moment. The reason we don't do so well at home is because those who do well against us tend to park the bus. There's not many teams who will do that on their own patch.
I trust you are enjoying George Evans. I would rate him about 5th or 6th best player in our side. We were a bit miffed Man City ended his loan 2 hours before the kick of our game against Bury. George came and sat in the away end with our fans for that game! Top man!
Better players that you will see on Saturday:
Rico Henry (left back or left midfield). The jewel in our crown. Has recently played his first 2 games for England at under 19 level. Arsenal, Spurs, Man City all rumoured to be preparing to bid for him. Very skilful on the ball with pace to burn.
Romaine Sawyers (no 10 in the hole behind the striker) the playmaker - with a sublime first touch and vision. Can read the game better than any Walsall player I've ever seen and I've been going for over 50 years. Has a shot on him too but doesn't use it enough as he's always looking to play someone else in with a better scoring chance.
Tom Bradshaw - striker. He's never going to pick the ball up in his own half and dribble past 6 of your players before planting the ball in the top corner, but he's the fox in the box, scores from impossible angles and when he's got 3 or 4 defenders around him just when you think he's been totally blocked in. incredible work rate, never stops running.
Neil Etheridge (goalkeeper) Top shot stopper, brave, dominates his box, flattened more than a few big and ugly league 1 strikers (fairly of course :lol: )
Jason Demitriou right back. fast, overlaps well excellent crosser of the ball. got a good shot too.

Have no fear you will have a game on Saturday and it won't be boring. Good luck for the rest of the season - concentrate on that league position :D

171 posts