Worried Supporters.

141 posts
quickwingerswife

Worried Supporters.

by quickwingerswife » 01 May 2016 18:24

We watched Reading at Elm Park since the late 50s,then joined the nouveau riches at Madjeski and it has been fantastic. Presently the bubble has burst and we look like a relegation candidate for next season. Please someone put our minds at rest. Where's that ray of sunshine? Please keep Championship status,

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Worried Supporters.

by Lower West » 01 May 2016 18:28

Why do we look like relegation candidates?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 May 2016 18:32

If you want to understand the gap between the Championship and League One, remember when we dicked promotion hopefuls Walsall 4-0 this season?

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 01 May 2016 19:09

tidus_mi2 If you want to understand the gap between the Championship and League One, remember when we dicked promotion hopefuls Walsall 4-0 this season?

Good point this, it has been a poor couple of seasons but the championship is hard to get out of at either end. You have to be really poor and deserve to get relegated if you are in the bottom three, a bad season for us but we are miles better then previous relegation contenders.

RoyalCrisp

by RoyalCrisp » 01 May 2016 19:38

Rea Ding
tidus_mi2 If you want to understand the gap between the Championship and League One, remember when we dicked promotion hopefuls Walsall 4-0 this season?

Good point this, it has been a poor couple of seasons but the championship is hard to get out of at either end. You have to be really poor and deserve to get relegated if you are in the bottom three, a bad season for us but we are miles better then previous relegation contenders.

... but we have been really poor for the last 2 years bar the first 3 months of this season. I wouldn't say we're miles better than the relegated sides, couldn't score in 180 against MK. There's only so many years you can be this poor and rely on an even worse bottom three, would look at Villa and Charlton this season. It gets you eventually.

We have another squad exodus to deal with this summer, and a manager who I don't think anyone is convinced will last long next season. For that reason I don't expect the Thais to back him the way they did Clarke, given how that worked out. They seem to have huge control over transfer policy, which seems to be the reason Hammond has upped sticks. Feel like we'll end up with a raft of European second division signings like Charlton, like a cheaper version of last summer (we were really balled over by the like of Sa, Fernandez, John, and Hurtado weren't we?).

If their expensive signings were flops, I worry what we're in for when the window opens this time around. Coupled with a disallusioned fanbase, a dire matchday atmosphere and a squad devoid of confidence, you'll forgive me if I don't accept your statement that we're 'miles better off' than the rest.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 May 2016 19:41

The morons are worried.

Sorry, supporters, meant to say supporters.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 May 2016 19:57

Lower West Why do we look like relegation candidates?

Losing comfortably at home to average championship sides like Birmingham and Preston for a start.

Who have we beaten this year?

Oh yes - relegated Bolton in injury time when reduced to 10 men, relegated Charlton with another injury time goal and a Forest side in freefall at the time.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 May 2016 19:58

quickwingerswife We watched Reading at Elm Park since the late 50s,then joined the nouveau riches at Madjeski and it has been fantastic. Presently the bubble has burst and we look like a relegation candidate for next season. Please someone put our minds at rest. Where's that ray of sunshine? Please keep Championship status,

Hi Dvae

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 May 2016 20:12

We don't.

McDermott's done at least as good as Clarke in terms of start here in this stint. So I don't see any reason why with good additions in the summer we can'trealistically be knocking about 10th - 14th next year. I certainly don't see McDermott overseeing a side he's had some time to build going from 2.4 ppg over 8 matches, to 0.8 ppg over the next 8 matches.

He may not give us quite such a purple patch, but I'd expect him to keep a much steadier ship.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 May 2016 20:46

We have no idea where we will be next season. Neither do most of the teams in the division. Just look at how wildly inaccurate most preseason forecasts are !
Don't spoil your summer worrying though. It's out of our hands.
But a positive note is that we could have a very young, very exciting forward line next season. Whether they will gel I don't know but Fosu, Barratt, Stacey, Samuels and Rakells could be worth watching. Having Tishbola back will help a lot too....

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 May 2016 21:25

Mid Sussex Royal

Losing comfortably at home to average championship sides like Birmingham and Preston for a start.

Oh yes - relegated Bolton in injury time when reduced to 10 men, relegated Charlton with another injury time goal and a Forest side in freefall at the time.

Having seen all four games against Birmingham and Preston this season, i.e. both home and away. They are both ok sides. With ok managers. I'd happily have either Garner or Donaldson in the Reading side. have to rebuilt every so often.

Bolton away we dominated. They offered no threat at all.

Charlton had the firepower of an Arsenal loanee on the day, Sanogo got a hat trick. Something even Blackman never came close to achieving.

Reading are an average Championship side currently. Teams rise and wane. Rebuild is the name of the game.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 May 2016 21:26

Lower West
Mid Sussex Royal

Having seen all four games against Birmingham and Preston this season, i.e. both home and away. They are both ok sides. With ok managers. I'd happily have either Garner or Donaldson in the Reading side.

Bolton away we dominated. They offered no threat at all. Was the day I realised John sulked too much.

Charlton had the firepower of an Arsenal loanee on the day, Sanogo got a hat trick. Something even Blackman never came close to achieving.

Reading are an average Championship side currently. Teams rise and wane. Rebuild is the name of the game

I've got my ticket for Blackburn. Expect to see another formative team on the day.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 May 2016 22:41

RoyalCrisp
Rea Ding

... but we have been really poor for the last 2 years bar the first 3 months of this season. I wouldn't say we're miles better than the relegated sides, couldn't score in 180 against MK. There's only so many years you can be this poor and rely on an even worse bottom three, would look at Villa and Charlton this season. It gets you eventually.

We have another squad exodus to deal with this summer, and a manager who I don't think anyone is convinced will last long next season. For that reason I don't expect the Thais to back him the way they did Clarke, given how that worked out. They seem to have huge control over transfer policy, which seems to be the reason Hammond has upped sticks. Feel like we'll end up with a raft of European second division signings like Charlton, like a cheaper version of last summer (we were really balled over by the like of Sa, Fernandez, John, and Hurtado weren't we?).

Speak for yourself mate. i and many others are totally convinced that Brian is the right man for the job. He enjoys huge support from the majority of Reading supporters.

If we want to get our identity back then we need to support Brian. Appointing people like Adkins and Clarke takes us further and further away from the 'Reading Way'.

Brian will sort us out. We should be optimistic for next season. We had far too many players this season with far too many of them temps and players nearing the end of their contracts. Mismanagement from Clarke, Hammond, Howe and the Thais put us in that miserable situation. We had too many players that simply didn't care and didn't have the right character for RFC.

We need a huge clearout and a much smaller, leaner, tight knit group who will all be involved and bought into the vision. A small group of players on longer deals who will fight for each other.

just look at our Centre Midfield department. We had/have: Williams, Norwood, Fernandez, Quinn, Tish, Evans, Kuhl.... Isn't that far too many. Isn't Clarke an idiot for bringing in Fernandez? We clearly didn't need him.

We need to sell a few of those, get a smaller squad, just like we had in our 106 season and then fight....

I don't thinK brian necessarily needs a huge amount of backing from the Thais. the reason we got Brian in was because he can build a good side without spending huge money. Brian has an amazing ability to find those Kevin Doyles and Shane Longs.

Just have some faith. This is not the end of the world. The club and Brian just need our support at the moment. moaning is futile.

If their expensive signings were flops, I worry what we're in for when the window opens this time around. Coupled with a disallusioned fanbase, a dire matchday atmosphere and a squad devoid of confidence, you'll forgive me if I don't accept your statement that we're 'miles better off' than the rest.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 May 2016 23:06

Top Flight
RoyalCrisp
Rea Ding Good point this, it has been a poor couple of seasons but the championship is hard to get out of at either end. You have to be really poor and deserve to get relegated if you are in the bottom three, a bad season for us but we are miles better then previous relegation contenders.

We have another squad exodus to deal with this summer, and a manager who I don't think anyone is convinced will last long next season. For that reason I don't expect the Thais to back him the way they did Clarke, given how that worked out. They seem to have huge control over transfer policy, which seems to be the reason Hammond has upped sticks. Feel like we'll end up with a raft of European second division signings like Charlton, like a cheaper version of last summer (we were really balled over by the like of Sa, Fernandez, John, and Hurtado weren't we?). If their expensive signings were flops, I worry what we're in for when the window opens this time around. Coupled with a disallusioned fanbase, a dire matchday atmosphere and a squad devoid of confidence, you'll forgive me if I don't accept your statement that we're 'miles better off' than the rest.

Speak for yourself mate. i and many others are totally convinced that Brian is the right man for the job. He enjoys huge support from the majority of Reading supporters.

If we want to get our identity back then we need to support Brian. Appointing people like Adkins and Clarke takes us further and further away from the 'Reading Way'.

Brian will sort us out. We should be optimistic for next season. We had far too many players this season with far too many of them temps and players nearing the end of their contracts. Mismanagement from Clarke, Hammond, Howe and the Thais put us in that miserable situation. We had too many players that simply didn't care and didn't have the right character for RFC.

We need a huge clearout and a much smaller, leaner, tight knit group who will all be involved and bought into the vision. A small group of players on longer deals who will fight for each other.

just look at our Centre Midfield department. We had/have: Williams, Norwood, Fernandez, Quinn, Tish, Evans, Kuhl.... Isn't that far too many. Isn't Clarke an idiot for bringing in Fernandez? We clearly didn't need him.

We need to sell a few of those, get a smaller squad, just like we had in our 106 season and then fight....

I don't thinK brian necessarily needs a huge amount of backing from the Thais. the reason we got Brian in was because he can build a good side without spending huge money. Brian has an amazing ability to find those Kevin Doyles and Shane Longs.

Just have some faith. This is not the end of the world. The club and Brian just need our support at the moment. moaning is futile.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 May 2016 23:09

quickwingerswife We watched Reading at Elm Park since the late 50s,then joined the nouveau riches at Madjeski and it has been fantastic. Presently the bubble has burst and we look like a relegation candidate for next season. Please someone put our minds at rest. Where's that ray of sunshine? Please keep Championship status,

Why don't you just fcuk off you ghastly human!?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 May 2016 23:11

Agree (TF) the last thing that we need to do is sack another manager. The previous three sackings have done us no-good whatsoever.

Even Steve Coppell took three seasons to get it right.......then when he did.....just how many of that 106 team were the players that he inherited from his predecessors?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 02 May 2016 00:33

31 points from the last 34 games is relegation form, and we'll be without our loan players next year, and may be missing one or two others too.

In other words, we could well be going into pre-season with a squad even worse than this one.

Of course, we have to wait and see who comes in, but it's hard to make a case for any quality coming in. Nobody in charge of the football club seems to be that interested any more.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2016 08:33

tmesis

31 points from the last 34 games is relegation form, and we'll be without our loan players next year, and may be missing one or two others too.

In other words, we could well be going into pre-season with a squad even worse than this one.

Of course, we have to wait and see who comes in, but it's hard to make a case for any quality coming in. Nobody in charge of the football club seems to be that interested any more.

Or equally we could end up with a strong squad with a manager who understands the club and what is needed to be a success here.

No guarantee next year will be a huge success but based on this season but a 4 game swing either way next year could see us either comfortably top 10 or comfortably relegated.

This league is scarily tight - 10 points separate 12th from 21st, so it is almost impossible to predict where any team will end up next year.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 May 2016 09:05

We have a decent back 4 and keeper. Happy to lose Cooper.

Tshibola coming back in will add that extra bite been missing.

McDermott to refer back to 4-4-2 and fast wing play....

Oh and for years fans on here been calling out for youth to have a go...

Well with Barrett, Samuel, Tshibola, Fosu all back in the mix for next season you will have your wish.

Exciting times ahead.

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 02 May 2016 09:44

Decent Back four?? You clearly have a short memory. That defending against Preston was horrendous. Cooper, Gunter and Obita not good enough. Midfield is average, happy when we have the ball but goes missing when we need to do the ugly stuff. No firepower whatsoever up front.

The mentality of the team is all wrong. There's no togetherness just a bit of individuals.

Watch the replay, mcshane even laughed when prestons second went in. He's clearly given up.

141 posts