EFL Trophy - Bristol Rovers (A) Match Thread sponsored by nobody really cares.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: EFL Trophy - Bristol Rovers (A) Match Thread sponsored by nobody really cares.

by tmesis » 30 Aug 2016 22:17

Sutekh How many travelled?

As for the game, getting a win with a squad of 15 academy players from the 17 isn't bad.

The football league really will have to look at what an utter embarrassment the whole thing is though.

Brizzle Kicks

Re: EFL Trophy - Bristol Rovers (A) Match Thread sponsored by nobody really cares.

by Brizzle Kicks » 30 Aug 2016 22:30

Just got back from the game - live down the road so a nice easy journey to make.

We took 69 away - 1419 overall - the steward told me on the way out its the lowest ever attendance for their ground.
As for the game, great second half as Rovers tried to ramp up the pressure. We have a very good future ahead of us. Some of our play was on par with the first team. While the kids struggled a lot with the physicality in the second half, it was very clear that technically we were way ahead of them. Very pleasing to see that we can easily match a 3rd tier side, that wasn't a weak Rovers team either - Matty Taylor (who I wouldn't mind at Reading) caused chaos in our box when he came on. Didn't really see the 1st goal as players were in the way. Not sure the 2nd goal crossed the line tbh! 3rd was a clear pen and Mendes overcame Fosu's tantrums to send the keeper the wrong way.

Rimonhota in particular was fantastic in the middle, really controlled the match in the 1st half. Watson, McIntyre (at CB) very good on the ball and passing it out from the back. Very similar style to the 1st team. Fosu caused chaos but his decision making needs to improve so perhaps that's why he's not exactly knocking on the door. He got 2 assists though so had a great game. Frost was superb when he came on and changed the game when Rovers were all over us.

On the flip side - Samuel did nothing of note, Mendes threw his weight around and held the ball up fairly well but then just fell over and gave it away a lot of the time. If these two are our back up striking options then we ain't gonna score a lot this season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Aug 2016 22:48

tidus_mi2 Whoever David is, he is a hero for winding up Tim and Ady that much over a simple comment

I liked the way they refuted it, then demonstrated they barely knew a oxf*rd thing about Cardwell.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 30 Aug 2016 22:50

premiership_bound
Ark Royal Att: 1419. Bet there are a lot lower crowds than that this evening.

69 away

Kinky

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Aug 2016 23:45

Ian Royal
tidus_mi2 Whoever David is, he is a hero for winding up Tim and Ady that much over a simple comment

I liked the way they refuted it, then demonstrated they barely knew a oxf*rd thing about Cardwell.

"I've got some facts about Cardwell"
"Go on then"
"He's a striker"

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Aug 2016 01:02

Great win for the lads, honestly thought they were in for a bit of a hammering but they held their own and then some.

We were the only team in it for the first half passed it about for fun. The yoof played a better possession game than the first team do - players showing for the ball, much more movement, quick one touch passes..etc. At times they got outstrengthed but that's to be expected. Rovers made a couple of changes and came out for the second half much more determined, really had us under the cosh for a bit but the lads prevailed.

Points of note; Rinomhota is the bollocks, Watson impressive again, the worst performers were the first teamers, Jaakola proved why Stam won't pick him (awful distribution, cant kick for shit), Samuel did nothing, Mendes is gash and officiating was unfathomably bad.

The competition is a pistake and an insult to lower league clubs but fantastic experience for our youngsters and they put on a really encouraging display. Spoke to a couple of Rovers fans after the game who were very complimentary and praised our "very talented kids".

£5 admission was worth it just to see how upset Rovers' keeper got at the "bantz" :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Aug 2016 07:18

Ian Royal

Their almost total ignorance about Reading's young players is actually quite shocking.

It pisses me off tbh.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Aug 2016 07:54

CountryRoyal Samuel did nothing, Mendes is gash and officiating was unfathomably bad.

Worrying when Stam suggests these two can be an effective part of our first team strike force!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Aug 2016 08:32

Don't judge on one game though. Samuel looked good on Friday. Until we see him in a run of first team games it's hard to judge how effective he'll be. He has the ability but can he translate that into performing at Championship level ?

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 31 Aug 2016 09:29

CountryRoyal £5 admission was worth it just to see how upset Rovers' keeper got at the "bantz" :lol:

Explain?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Aug 2016 09:43

Fair play to the kids, it sounds like they played well against a side that only made a 4 or 5 changes to their first choice League side, and those changes were for squad players who are involved. It wasn't just a reserve team.

You never really know how much the League team are coasting in games like this as the competition is a bit of a joke, but it is good experience for our lot to play in a proper competitive fixture against senior pro's.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 Aug 2016 09:48

IN for taking 30,000 to wembley for the final.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 31 Aug 2016 09:51

Hoop Blah Fair play to the kids, it sounds like they played well against a side that only made a 4 or 5 changes to their first choice League side, and those changes were for squad players who are involved. It wasn't just a reserve team.

You never really know how much the League team are coasting in games like this as the competition is a bit of a joke, but it is good experience for our lot to play in a proper competitive fixture against senior pro's.

And for them a big (relatively) crowd.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 31 Aug 2016 09:53

notloyalenuffroyal Are we top of the league?????? Got to be close, but can't care who else we are in a league with.

Could be exciting though.....

Second from 4. Yeovil beat Portsmouth 4-3.

Yeovil top
us
Gas
Pompeh

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 31 Aug 2016 09:55

I was one of the 69 - I work down the road so it wasn't much effort.

Bit disappointed to be sat behind the goal - would've preferred to be in the small corner terrace but didn't have the choice - as the view was a bit shit. Surprisingly entertaining game played at a reasonable pace.

Youngsters not outclassed or outmuscled at all. Rovers got much tighter in the second half after allowing us way too much space in the first half. Both sides initially playing it short and on the ground but second half saw both sides more willing to play longer balls, particularly from the keepers. Quite nice to see us play with some width.

Not particularly impressed with Mendes but no one else stood out as particularly good or bad.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 31 Aug 2016 13:18

Nameless Don't judge on one game though. Samuel looked good on Friday. Until we see him in a run of first team games it's hard to judge how effective he'll be. He has the ability but can he translate that into performing at Championship level ?

Just saw the highlights on RFC website. Not convinced the so called Fans actually were there at the game judging what they say
and what I see about Samuel.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 31 Aug 2016 14:20

mambo3
Nameless Don't judge on one game though. Samuel looked good on Friday. Until we see him in a run of first team games it's hard to judge how effective he'll be. He has the ability but can he translate that into performing at Championship level ?

Just saw the highlights on RFC website. Not convinced the so called Fans actually were there at the game judging what they say

How long were the highlights, 3 minutes?

mambo3

by mambo3 » 31 Aug 2016 14:31

LWJ
mambo3

2 Chances - unlucky with both. How many Reading Strikers have you seen have more than 2 chances in a game.?

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 31 Aug 2016 14:52

From what I saw in the highlights, Samuel was unlucky when he hit the post as he anticipated the mistake well and tried to put the ball into the corner with his weaker foot (I think). His chance off the line was unlucky too as he won the ball well and worked the space well to get the shot away. As for the rest of the 90 minutes, I don't know. If people that were there say he wasn't that impressive, I'm happy to go along with that. It doesn't always go that well for strikers, and at least he got a couple of chances to miss instead of being totally anonymous.

It sounds like we were comfortable on the ball and got the result even when the game tightened up. That's encouraging.

I think it's a good idea to get youth teams into this tournament. They will be playing against older, more senior pros who will be more than happy to hand out a kicking or two and will really put some physicality into the game. You don't get that in the u-23 league and I think it's a vital learning tool for young players.

I couldn't care about the boycott from some other fans and I think it could spark some real desire into the youth players to get playing again. It's obviously a completely different standard but I played a couple of games in men's football when I was 14 and from that point I wasn't particularly interested in playing youth football anymore. Hopefully this makes the youngsters really try to kick on and get into the first team, which is what our academy should be about.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 31 Aug 2016 14:53

mambo3
LWJ
mambo3

2 Chances - unlucky with both. How many Reading Strikers have you seen have more than 2 chances in a game.?

Quite a few. Kermogant against Brighton is the immediate one that springs to mind, Mendes against MK Dons as well.

The fans who went to the game would have seen his decision making, his off the ball movement, his teamwork, everything basically, but you are saying they are wrong because he was 'unlucky' with both his chances, that you saw on youtube in a 3 minute clip.

Okay.