Anyone For Chinese?

948 posts
Crusader Royal

Re: Anyone For Chinese?

by Crusader Royal » 27 Mar 2024 05:14

Jagermesiter1871
Hendo
Jagermesiter1871
It's not an itk source. It's every website on the internet.

Brentford is a suburban town in West London, England and part of the London Borough of Hounslow. It lies at the confluence of the River Brent and the Thames, 8 miles (13 km) west of Charing Cross.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brentford?wprov=sfti1#

That would be like Reading building their new stadium in Sulhampstead and claiming it was in the town centre.

I thought we were debating the price. I already addressed it wasn't central London, but the point still stood that London (west London no less) would be dearer than Reading.

Brentford had to massively reduce the scope of their development from the initial plans though. I can’t remember details but I recall it basically has next to no non match day facilities and all catering etc has to be prepared elsewhere and brought in which must be a hassle. They have no onsite parking. I don’t think they have scope to expand as they are on a tight footprint but could be wrong there
Whether building where they did is cheaper is hard to know. Reading is not far off being a London suburb and in many ways is a more attractive location than Brentford. I suspect costs would probably not be much different but would a pared down stadium be the right way to go ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Mar 2024 08:26

No. A significantly smaller town centre stadium with minimal faciltities and dreadful access absolutely would not be the way to go.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Mar 2024 08:58

Jagermesiter1871
Hendo
Jagermesiter1871
It's not an itk source. It's every website on the internet.

Brentford is a suburban town in West London, England and part of the London Borough of Hounslow. It lies at the confluence of the River Brent and the Thames, 8 miles (13 km) west of Charing Cross.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brentford?wprov=sfti1#

That would be like Reading building their new stadium in Sulhampstead and claiming it was in the town centre.

I thought we were debating the price. I already addressed it wasn't central London, but the point still stood that London (west London no less) would be dearer than Reading.

:mrgreen:

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 27 Mar 2024 10:55

Snowflake Royal No. A significantly smaller town centre stadium with minimal faciltities and dreadful access absolutely would not be the way to go.

I think you would have to think outside the box - i.e. knock down Broad street mall and surrounding buildings (including Hexagon, council offices and police station) and build a new shopping centre including car parks, restaurants, gyms etc and put the stadium on top of it and maximise the facilities (including bus station).

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Mar 2024 11:00

What is the point of this discussion? The SCL is obviously our home for the foresee future. The development to push is REP that allows the area to become more of a match hub.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 27 Mar 2024 11:09

That may well be the case now, but it was by no means clear when the point was raised.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 27 Mar 2024 17:11

WestYorksRoyal What is the point of this discussion? The SCL is obviously our home for the foresee future. The development to push is REP that allows the area to become more of a match hub.

What’s the ‘point’ of most of the discussion on here ? It’s just chatter, like you had down the pub in the old days. No doubt come July there will be plenty of pointless discussion about players we could sign (but won’t)

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 27 Mar 2024 17:27

Crusader Royal
WestYorksRoyal What is the point of this discussion? The SCL is obviously our home for the foresee future. The development to push is REP that allows the area to become more of a match hub.

What’s the ‘point’ of most of the discussion on here ? It’s just chatter, like you had down the pub in the old days. No doubt come July there will be plenty of pointless discussion about players we could sign (but won’t)

Power post ^ and +1 agreed.

948 posts