BFTG - Cardiff

Huckleberry Hound

Re: BFTG - Cardiff

by Huckleberry Hound » 29 Jan 2017 13:58

bcubed We look like we will concede every time we take a short goal kick.

Corrected for you

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 Jan 2017 17:01

tmesis
paultheroyal
Top Flight It's been a very strange season. We don't look a team that should be 3rd in the league.

We always look vulnerable at the back like we could concede goals. And we don't create lots of chances up front to put games out of sight and guarantee the points. We just get the odd chance here and there and score. We don't look like we totally overpower teams like Coppell's side always did.

But the stats don't lie. We are a top 3 side.

I guess it's a bit like when Pardew was in charge. We weren't overpowering teams. But we had a way of getting wins on the board. Somehow it just seems to work out for us.

This was another game that we edged, but in truth it could have gone either way, like many of our games this season.

Just imagine how could it will be when we do click and look good!!!!

...if we've managed to pick up ___ points from ___ games during a period when, by our own admission, we haven't been playing that well, just imagine what we can do when we do hit form!

(c) Ian Branfoot 1988.

We got relegated at the end of that season. Winning the Simod cup did soften the blow though.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 29 Jan 2017 17:32

Pepe the Horseman
marlowuk Beerens missed another golden opportunity, when he was (almost) completely free on goal, by stopping and claiming a handball which, as shown on play-back, never was..

Replay showed that it definitely was! Despite what the commentator said, the ball clearly hits Morrison's fist - you can see it change trajectory.

^^^ THAT

Was really confused by the commentator saying it Cleary wasn't a pen, when it clearly changed trajectory. If the camera angle had been side on it would have been obvious

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2017 17:43

John Madejski's Wallet
Pepe the Horseman
marlowuk Beerens missed another golden opportunity, when he was (almost) completely free on goal, by stopping and claiming a handball which, as shown on play-back, never was..

Replay showed that it definitely was! Despite what the commentator said, the ball clearly hits Morrison's fist - you can see it change trajectory.

^^^ THAT

Was really confused by the commentator saying it Cleary wasn't a pen, when it clearly changed trajectory. If the camera angle had been side on it would have been obvious

I was assuming they were saying it wasn't deliberate (which seemed a reasonable call to me) rather than that it didn't hit his arm, which it clearly did.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 29 Jan 2017 18:07

Ian Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
Pepe the Horseman Replay showed that it definitely was! Despite what the commentator said, the ball clearly hits Morrison's fist - you can see it change trajectory.

^^^ THAT

I was assuming they were saying it wasn't deliberate (which seemed a reasonable call to me) rather than that it didn't hit his arm, which it clearly did.

I went and rewatched this a few times. I'm of the opinion it did hit his hand - you can see his hand flinch. Was it deliberate? No. Did it satisfy the rules for a handball? Not sure. It wasn't the best of camera angles, if it was a bit more side on it would have been better. Big question is why did Beerens give up, why not still play on and have a go. Chances are he could have been clattered by their goalie as well.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Jan 2017 18:09

Ian Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
Pepe the Horseman Replay showed that it definitely was! Despite what the commentator said, the ball clearly hits Morrison's fist - you can see it change trajectory.

^^^ THAT

Pretty sure commentator said it didn't hit his hand.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2017 18:17

RG7Fan
Ian Royal
John Madejski's Wallet ^^^ THAT

I went and rewatched this a few times. I'm of the opinion it did hit his hand - you can see his hand flinch. Was it deliberate? No. Did it satisfy the rules for a handball? Not sure. It wasn't the best of camera angles, if it was a bit more side on it would have been better. Big question is why did Beerens give up, why not still play on and have a go. Chances are he could have been clattered by their goalie as well.

From memory, it looked to me like the ball's path was changed and Beerens might have struggled to control it. I'd certainly rather they play to the whistle, but hard to blame for someone appealing for a fk / penalty if they think it's justified and their control over the ball has been impacted.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 29 Jan 2017 18:43

Ian Royal
RG7Fan
Ian Royal

From memory, it looked to me like the ball's path was changed and Beerens might have struggled to control it. I'd certainly rather they play to the whistle, but hard to blame for someone appealing for a fk / penalty if they think it's justified and their control over the ball has been impacted.

Fair point - I cant check at the moment as Mrs RG7 is watching something else on the Sky Box :roll: :roll: ...

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 30 Jan 2017 07:23

Great well worked result this weekend. Especially when all the teams around us apart from Huddersfield dropped points. Newcastle, Brighton and Leeds all losing makes that win even better.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 30 Jan 2017 08:03

all about points on the board instead of having the game in hand. Two winnable away games coming up before we have Huddersfield, Newcastle and Brighton

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 30 Jan 2017 08:08

parky Great well worked result this weekend. Especially when all the teams around us apart from Huddersfield dropped points. Newcastle, Brighton and Leeds all losing makes that win even better.

Newcastle, Brighton and Leeds all got knocked out of the cup - it would have been preferable for them to get replays or proceed to the next round, so there's a potential distraction and also extra games to add to their schedule. I'm not sure how those three losing could be seen as a positive really.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2017 08:37

indeed. Realistically I don't see us catching the top 2 though. Was delighted that Derby got a draw, and Fulham going through probably helps us a little as well

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2017 08:40

parky Great well worked result this weekend. Especially when all the teams around us apart from Huddersfield dropped points. Newcastle, Brighton and Leeds all losing makes that win even better.

I'm going to just assume you got up way too early this morning, or have a major hangover.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jan 2017 09:38

Channel 5 highlights down to their usual standard with the first Morrison handball (which was a definite free kick just outside the box) waived away by a blind commentator and the second more blatant handball in the second half not even shown

Richards "lunge" on Kelly was an accident, he went to put his foot on the ball and it rolled off the top into Kelly's shin. Should have been a free kick

Was a definite penalty but the booking was ridiculous

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Jan 2017 10:53

Ian Royal
PieEater
Ian Royal BFTG

:|

:roll:

There's this thing called the internet where you can watch games sometimes.

I think you need your own thread- I have just listened/watched online and have opinions on it - or summat

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Jan 2017 10:59

Pepe the Horseman

yep- he clearly handled it before he airkicked, commentator and marlowuk are off their tits.

hes right that beerens should have gambled and continued running at that point cos he was in

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Jan 2017 11:00

Ian Royal
John Madejski's Wallet

^^^ THAT

doesn't have to be deliberate.

Pretty sure commentator said it didn't hit his hand.

he did

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Jan 2017 11:27

According to this it does have to be deliberate: http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... misconduct

Introduction

Direct and indirect free kicks and penalty kicks can only be awarded for offences and infringements committed when the ball is in play.

Direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

charges
jumps at
kicks or attempts to kick
pushes
strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
tackles or challenges
trips or attempts to trip

If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is
needed
Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:

handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
holds an opponent
impedes an opponent with contact
spits at an opponent

See also offences in Law 3

HANDLING THE BALL

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:

the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) is an infringement
hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) is an infringement

The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. Inside their penalty area, the goalkeeper cannot be guilty of a handling offence incurring a direct free kick or any related sanction but can be guilty of handling offences that incur an indirect free kick.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Jan 2017 12:40

but he moved his hand towards the ball AND it wasn't unexpected/blasted at him from a meter away

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Jan 2017 12:46

Sutekh Channel 5 highlights down to their usual standard with the first Morrison handball (which was a definite free kick just outside the box) waived away by a blind commentator and the second more blatant handball in the second half not even shown

Richards "lunge" on Kelly was an accident, he went to put his foot on the ball and it rolled off the top into Kelly's shin. Should have been a free kick

Was a definite penalty but the booking was ridiculous

crap aren't they?
didn't show Kelly's shot which he hit superbly and didn't show the attack that should have resulted in a goal from Williams when he decided to trap it with his shin instead of scoring
But then talked about it at the end of the game
Also didn't really show how much pressure we were under from Cardiff at the end - compare with Sky's highlights
Very poor