Rival Watch

17303 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2024 16:53

Hound Really not interested in us making any signings at all. If we lose someone impt then maybe but otherwise would be happy to see no movement at all

At a push an experienced back up for Smith and at a real push a left midfielder. Otherwise we’ve plenty of depth as it is

Carlisle rolling the dice a bit. Suppose they need to

RB is a bit vulnerable.

Lose Dean, Mola, Hutchinson and NGW for free and maybe Vickers plus maybe one of Holmes, McIntyre, Abbey, Bindon or Dorsett for good cash to bring in a decent RB, LB, DM & ST would probably be the perfect window for us.

Although the only even vaguely likely one is Vickers out.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 04 Jan 2024 17:17

Snowflake Royal
Hound Really not interested in us making any signings at all. If we lose someone impt then maybe but otherwise would be happy to see no movement at all

At a push an experienced back up for Smith and at a real push a left midfielder. Otherwise we’ve plenty of depth as it is

RB is a bit vulnerable.

Lose Dean, Mola, Hutchinson and NGW for free and maybe Vickers plus maybe one of Holmes, McIntyre, Abbey, Bindon or Dorsett for good cash to bring in a decent RB, LB, DM & ST would probably be the perfect window for us.

Hopefully.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 04 Jan 2024 17:52

Snowflake Royal

RB is a bit vulnerable.

I think Holmes will leave, assuming his "calf strain" isn't too severe

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Jan 2024 17:38

Exeter beat Carlisle and Cheltenham beat Pompey at home. :shock:

As many said at the time, that was a good point earned.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 06 Jan 2024 20:06

WestYorksRoyal Exeter beat Carlisle and Cheltenham beat Pompey at home. :shock:

Indeed, local press also overstating the importance of today's games...if these were catch up games in April I'd get it but other sides' results are irrelevant with 20 games to go.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jan 2024 20:18

Mid Sussex Royal

Indeed, local press also overstating the importance of today's games...if these were catch up games in April I'd get it but other sides' results are irrelevant with 20 games to go.

Well quite. It would hardly be a shock if next weekend:

Reading beat Vale
Blackpool beat Exeter
Bolton beat Cheltenham

Then we are as you were this morning but everyone has played the same number of games.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Jan 2024 22:45

Stranded
Mid Sussex Royal

Reading beat Vale
Blackpool beat Exeter
Bolton beat Cheltenham

Then we are as you were this morning but everyone has played the same number of games.

What I would say is that there's a lot of fight down there. Obviously ourselves and Cheltenham are in good form, but that's also 7 from 4 for Exeter now. We need to be targeting the teams 6 or 7 points ahead of us as I wouldn’t be surprised to see 3 of the current bottom 5 survive

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jan 2024 07:50

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded
Mid Sussex Royal

Reading beat Vale
Blackpool beat Exeter
Bolton beat Cheltenham

What I would say is that there's a lot of fight down there. Obviously ourselves and Cheltenham are in good form, but that's also 7 from 4 for Exeter now. We need to be targeting the teams 6 or 7 points ahead of us as I wouldn’t be surprised to see 3 of the current bottom 5 survive

Over last 8 games Burton, Charlton, Wycombe, Cambridge & Lincoln are all going at 1 PPG or less. Those are the sides we need to look at reeling in. Wigan are only a tad better, 9pts from last 8.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2024 13:15

Cambridge have a couple in hand, and hopefully wiil pick up the points to steer clear as a result.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Jan 2024 17:35

Oxford just had their #1 keeper recalled so they could sent him out on loan to Sheff Wed lulz, gutted lads.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Jan 2024 21:39

Watching Wigan play United, I think they’ll cause us real problems out wide when we play them on 20th. At least United look good at League One level.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2024 22:27

blythspartan Watching Wigan play United, I think they’ll cause us real problems out wide when we play them on 20th. At least United look good at League One level.

Almost everyone causes us problems out wide tbf.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2024 06:08

blythspartan Watching Wigan play United, I think they’ll cause us real problems out wide when we play them on 20th. At least United look good at League One level.

We only played them ourselves a couple of weeks ago

Don’t think they were much good

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jan 2024 06:50

Hound

They were pants, doesn't mean they will be next week of course but long since learnt never to judge a side on a cup performance especially if they are playing a team from a higher division, always up their game.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Jan 2024 08:54

Stranded
Hound

They were pants, doesn't mean they will be next week of course but long since learnt never to judge a side on a cup performance especially if they are playing a team from a higher division, always up their game.

+1 to both Hound and Stranded.

They managed to fire a blank against a team who can't keep clean sheets.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 Jan 2024 08:57

Wigan have a couple of nippy players out wide but they are up there with the poorer teams in League 1 for me. They certainly don't look great at the back, we have enough firepower to beat them imo.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 09 Jan 2024 09:35

Worth a note to state that had we won through against Eastleigh we would be facing yet another cup draw against Manchester United in the 3rd/4th round what must be about the 5th time in the last 20 years

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Jan 2024 09:54

On the topic of relegation rivals, anybody know why 4 get relegated in L1? With Carlisle and Fleetwood looking the worst, that extra spot makes a big difference.

Whereas L2 get a great deal. Only 2 down and 4 up. Arguably easier to get out of than the NL.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Jan 2024 10:11

WestYorksRoyal On the topic of relegation rivals, anybody know why 4 get relegated in L1? With Carlisle and Fleetwood looking the worst, that extra spot makes a big difference.

Whereas L2 get a great deal. Only 2 down and 4 up. Arguably easier to get out of than the NL.

I'm not sure; it's been four teams down from the third tier since a national division format was introduced in 1958-59.

There used to be two promotion and re-election spots in each of the regional third divisions - so perhaps it was some sort merger of that (there used to be four re-election spots in the fourth division after its creation as well). There's also a theory that there was a risk of the fourth division becoming too boring if it was the two up, two down which had been typical in the Football League up to that point - as most clubs would have nothing serious to play for from October onwards (play-offs and relegation to the Conference were introduced in the 80s, IIRC).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2024 10:56

For NL to FL I think it's because it's so hard historically for NL clubs to compete in the League, it would have just been the same clubs being relegated each season.

Something largely happening in the PL now.

17303 posts