Rival Watch

17306 posts
rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival Watch

by rabidbee » 11 Apr 2024 21:15

For the record, I’m no longer particularly concerned that we’ll go down (although….), I just enjoy a good countdown.

Five… four… three…

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Apr 2024 08:12

rabidbee For the record, I’m no longer particularly concerned that we’ll go down (although….), I just enjoy a good countdown.

Five… four… three…

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 12 Apr 2024 09:12

For the record, I am 100% certain that we are safe right now.

When the final games are played, I suspect that none of the bottom 4 will have 49 points or more.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Apr 2024 09:43

Mr Angry For the record, I am 100% certain that we are safe right now.

When the final games are played, I suspect that none of the bottom 4 will have 49 points or more.

Would agree but want something riding on the games so.... :?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Apr 2024 14:56

With rival watch this season pretty much over, I wonder who will be our main rivals next season.

I'm not expecting any teams to be as strong as this year's top 3, but I think there will be plenty in the mix. 2 of the 3 coming down will be teams who were competition in the Championship, while Rotherham know this level well. If P'Boro and Barnsley stay down, they will be towards the top, while Bolton will be favourites if they miss out this time. Wigan and Charlton will be higher, while Blackpool will get stronger. I don't expect Stevenage and Lincoln to repeat this season, but look out for Stockport as a surprise package; they're better prepared for this level than Hollywood FC. So there's 10 or so teams who will harbour ambitions of climbing out, of which we are one. But no obvious favourites unless Bolton stay down.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Apr 2024 16:05

WestYorksRoyal With rival watch this season pretty much over, I wonder who will be our main rivals next season.

I'm not expecting any teams to be as strong as this year's top 3, but I think there will be plenty in the mix. 2 of the 3 coming down will be teams who were competition in the Championship, while Rotherham know this level well. If P'Boro and Barnsley stay down, they will be towards the top, while Bolton will be favourites if they miss out this time. Wigan and Charlton will be higher, while Blackpool will get stronger. I don't expect Stevenage and Lincoln to repeat this season, but look out for Stockport as a surprise package; they're better prepared for this level than Hollywood FC. So there's 10 or so teams who will harbour ambitions of climbing out, of which we are one. But no obvious favourites unless Bolton stay down.

Oxford will be there or thereabouts, Peterborough and Wrexham will be contenders. If they come down Brum and Wednesday will be right up there. Rotherham are no mugs at this level and Barnsley will be top 6 again. Outside of those Charlton, Blackpool and Stockport will be difficult opposition, so next season will be a real challenge for Reading - but at least it would be a challenge for football reasons not because we have an idiot for an owner (we hope anyway).

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 15 Apr 2024 16:25

I think Oxford will go up this year. They've clicked. And I'm frankly very happy that we're not playing them now. Though we have got better too... even so, they seem significantly better than they were earlier in the season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Apr 2024 16:31

skipper I think Oxford will go up this year. They've clicked. And I'm frankly very happy that we're not playing them now. Though we have got better too... even so, they seem significantly better than they were earlier in the season.

I never want them in a higher division than us. This season is our low point in 25 years and their high point; we avoided defeat in both games, and now I want them to stay down so we can restore natural order next season.

However I will concede they're hitting form at the right time. If they beat Lincoln tomorrow that is 6th place basically sewn up, and then we're all supporting Bolton in the play-offs. Hopefully they lose Brannagan if they stay down - surely he can't belong in L1 much longer?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Apr 2024 16:42

WestYorksRoyal
skipper I think Oxford will go up this year. They've clicked. And I'm frankly very happy that we're not playing them now. Though we have got better too... even so, they seem significantly better than they were earlier in the season.

I never want them in a higher division than us. This season is our low point in 25 years and their high point; we avoided defeat in both games, and now I want them to stay down so we can restore natural order next season.

However I will concede they're hitting form at the right time. If they beat Lincoln tomorrow that is 6th place basically sewn up, and then we're all supporting Bolton in the play-offs. Hopefully they lose Brannagan if they stay down - surely he can't belong in L1 much longer?

Er, that’s not likely

Can we have both teams to lose, please ?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Apr 2024 16:49

Who would support Bolton? That's madness!!!

Anyway, I'm gleaning from the posts so far that all the other 23 teams in the division will be our rivals next year?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Apr 2024 17:35

Silver Fox Who would support Bolton? That's madness!!!

Anyway, I'm gleaning from the posts so far that all the other 23 teams in the division will be our rivals next year?

Born after 1995 is my guess

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Apr 2024 17:41

1995 was a long time ago. Their fans have been among the best for supporting our plight this season. Plus, I don't want them in L1 next season as they're a quality team at this level who would be favourites to win the league if they stay down.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 15 Apr 2024 18:40

You can support Bolton against Oxford and then switch in the final. I want Bolton to go up and Derby to stay down, just for the lols.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Apr 2024 19:07

Franchise FC
Silver Fox Who would support Bolton? That's madness!!!

Born after 1995 is my guess

Or just got over it a long time ago.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2024 19:19

rabidbee You can support Bolton against Oxford and then switch in the final. I want Bolton to go up and Derby to stay down, just for the lols.

I want Derby to go up just to see all their fans give it the full, we are back treatment then get relegated as per most Paul Warne seasons in the Championship.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 16 Apr 2024 08:00

The three best teams in this Division all season have been Pompey, Derby and Bolton, and as well as wishing them every success in the Championship next season, I think all 3 are teams that can sustain a Championship (and obviously potentially Premier League) team far more so than a Barnsley, Peterborough, Lincoln or Oxford.

Additionally, remove them and it will inevitably weaken League 1 which will in turn make it a bit easier for us next season.

That having been said, if we get new owners, if Selles and the bulk of the current squad remains at the club and if we can get an out and out left winger, I think Reading can definitely be in the Play Off mix - at least - next season.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 16 Apr 2024 11:38

It's just going to be nice to watch tonight's games unfold without having to worry about what the consequences for us are (for the first time in a good few months/years)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Apr 2024 20:33

Nice to see the Bolton manager has done his homework on the Shrewsbury corner kick routines.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Apr 2024 20:40

Burton beating Cheltenham, Port Vale losing and Shrewsbury with a surprise lead at Bolton. It's 99% confirmed that the current bottom 4 are gone if results stay the same.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Apr 2024 20:47

Feel a bit for vale, but god they`ve been awful since the abandoned game.

17306 posts