Rival Watch

17306 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 12 Dec 2022 10:10

We’d have to go on a fairly poor run for a while to be dragged in. With the CBs basically back fit (Dann and Azeez playing for u21 today apparently) we actually have a pretty decent squad. We have the ability to always nick a goal, especially from set pieces so think we’ll be comfortable

Spotted our home and away records are a mirror image at the moment not that interesting really but anyway

7-1-3 at home and 3-1-7 away

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Dec 2022 10:11

Losing Warne was a huge loss for Rotherham. Think they are doomed.
Look out for Luton. They have lost their hughly rated manager too and could easily slip into a relegation battle.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Dec 2022 10:14

Hound We’d have to go on a fairly poor run for a while to be dragged in. With the CBs basically back fit (Dann and Azeez playing for u21 today apparently) we actually have a pretty decent squad. We have the ability to always nick a goal, especially from set pieces so think we’ll be comfortable

Spotted our home and away records are a mirror image at the moment not that interesting really but anyway

There is definitely a lot more resolve about our aquad this season. It mirrors the manager's personality.
Think we will be ok. We can all agree the last two results have given us breathing space. We had been on a run of just 5 points from 9 games.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Dec 2022 10:15

Hound We’d have to go on a fairly poor run for a while to be dragged in. With the CBs basically back fit (Dann and Azeez playing for u21 today apparently) we actually have a pretty decent squad. We have the ability to always nick a goal, especially from set pieces so think we’ll be comfortable

Also interesting* is that we have to play 6 of the current top 12 and 6 of the bottom 12 at home and 5 of the top half away, with 7 away games against the bottom half.

So arguably, our away games are getting "easier" from here on in, whereas the home games get slightly tougher.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Dec 2022 10:16

What an amazing job the backroom staff have done at this club. What a turnaround. Who expected us to be sitting 8th at this stage of the season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Dec 2022 10:19

Zip

There is definitely a lot more resolve about our aquad this season. It mirrors the manager's personality.
Think we will be ok. We can all agree the last two results have given us breathing space. We had been on a run of just 5 points from 9 games.

Yeah not great but it form table terms we're 14th/15th for 6/8/12 game runs. 9th for 4 games - only the 10 game form sees us in trouble, down in 21st. Keep up the 8 game form of 1.2 PPG sees us get to 61pts.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Dec 2022 10:39

Stranded
Zip

Yeah not great but it form table terms we're 14th/15th for 6/8/12 game runs. 9th for 4 games - only the 10 game form sees us in trouble, down in 21st. Keep up the 8 game form of 1.2 PPG sees us get to 61pts.

I think we are in better nick now than we were 8, 9, 10 games ago though as well. Players back, fresh start, plenty of options and a lot of time on the training field to refine certain aspects of what we do. Get a bit of sharpness back in the legs and we could easily scrap for enough points over the festive period, even with two difficult away fixtures at Norwich and WBA wedged in there. Despite our poor away record, I wouldn't bet on us to lose both (even though we are likely to).

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Dec 2022 11:11

Just for the record last season Reading did not reach 32 points until winning at Preston in game 32 (although officially it wasn’t until game 38 against Blackburn at home). This season 32 points has been achieved in 22 games.

The next 8 games are as per below, they’re all difficult as there are no easy games in this division this season, as borne out thus far by the general tightness of the table, though there are signs that that the bottom 7 may be starting to drift away from the rest but it’ll probably be the end of January before things are really clear. Just hope Reading can at least keep the points coming in reasonably regularly over this period though it’s a very awkward run from which to predict a win - think I’d take 8 draws if it was offered now :lol:

Birmingham (a) with the added bonus of both the Friday night and tv curses

then a 10 day lay off before Swansea (h) and another run in with the tv curse :roll:

followed by the usual Xmas fixture with Norwich handily placed as yet another Friday nighter (but thankfully at least it’s not on the telly)

finally there’s the prospect of a Monday visit to play with a very good WBA squad, but at least it’s a 3pm kick off.

Then that lot is followed by what will be a reserve game with Watford in the cup and visits from QPR (not on the telly :shock: ) and Sheffield United (which may convert to a midweek game if the FA Cup is still a thing for both clubs at the end of January) sandwiching a trip to the Potteries.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Dec 2022 12:50

Zip

The last two have helped tremendously. We're equally as capable of going on a little unbeaten run with a good number of wins as a barren winless run of sub relegation form though.

I worry about goals. They look like they could dry up at any point. We aren't creating a lot and are relying on being clinical again.

We should be fine though.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Dec 2022 13:33

Snowflake Royal
Zip

The last two have helped tremendously. We're equally as capable of going on a little unbeaten run with a good number of wins as a barren winless run of sub relegation form though.

I worry about goals. They look like they could dry up at any point. We aren't creating a lot and are relying on being clinical again.

Yep. We are not creating much at all and another run of poor results can happen again. Usually by this stage of the season you want certain teams to win or lose. I have no idea whether I wants teams in the bottom six or top six to win.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Dec 2022 13:33

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Yep. We are not creating much at all and another run of poor results can happen again. Usually by this stage of the season you want certain teams to win or lose. I have no idea whether I wants teams in the bottom six or top six to win.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Dec 2022 14:06

Certainly don’t create a lot from open play. Any team will find it hard to defend decent set pieces against the likes of Holmes, Sarr, Carroll, Meite, Loum and McIntyre as has been shown in the last two games

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Dec 2022 16:17

Hound Certainly don’t create a lot from open play. Any team will find it hard to defend decent set pieces against the likes of Holmes, Sarr, Carroll, Meite, Loum and McIntyre as has been shown in the last two games

Agree, although I think that's where we are as a team really at the moment. A team (and style) more suited to the Championship. How many "technical" players do we really have? Ejaria, Joao and Fornah? Maybe include Rahman on that list as well?

Ejaria rightly comes in for criticism for his inconsistency, Joao likewise really and doesn't seem to suit our style a great deal but obviously always has a goal in him and is well-liked, Fornah for me has gone a bit stale and can be a bit slow with the ball but I actually do like him, think there is potential there to be a good player but doesn't do much in the final third and Rahman divides opinion, probably rightfully so. The point being, these players appear to be a bit inconsistent in our side, probably partly because the way we are right now probably doesn't suit their individual style/talent as much as it could.

Think we are built to be more physical these days. Even those who do not have that much strength in their physique, say Hendrick, are still more industrious-like rather than technical, although keeps the ball reasonably well.

A far cry from when we had Swift last season who was obviously a technical player and some others in the past like Illori at the back as well.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Dec 2022 16:44

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound Certainly don’t create a lot from open play. Any team will find it hard to defend decent set pieces against the likes of Holmes, Sarr, Carroll, Meite, Loum and McIntyre as has been shown in the last two games

Agree, although I think that's where we are as a team really at the moment. A team (and style) more suited to the Championship. How many "technical" players do we really have? Ejaria, Joao and Fornah? Maybe include Rahman on that list as well?

Ejaria rightly comes in for criticism for his inconsistency, Joao likewise really and doesn't seem to suit our style a great deal but obviously always has a goal in him and is well-liked, Fornah for me has gone a bit stale and can be a bit slow with the ball but I actually do like him, think there is potential there to be a good player but doesn't do much in the final third and Rahman divides opinion, probably rightfully so. The point being, these players appear to be a bit inconsistent in our side, probably partly because the way we are right now probably doesn't suit their individual style/talent as much as it could.

Think we are built to be more physical these days. Even those who do not have that much strength in their physique, say Hendrick, are still more industrious-like rather than technical, although keeps the ball reasonably well.

A far cry from when we had Swift last season who was obviously a technical player and some others in the past like Illori at the back as well.

Yep there was no doubt Bowen saw us as too soft and brought in more physical players who are suited to the Championship. We were soft last season with the likes of Swift and Halilovic very poor defensively.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Dec 2022 17:39

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99

Yep there was no doubt Bowen saw us as too soft and brought in more physical players who are suited to the Championship. We were soft last season with the likes of Swift and Halilovic very poor defensively.

A point also proven by the fact the club have had a player or two suspended this season for yellow card collections :shock:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Dec 2022 17:58

Exciting to see where we finish when we do start playing well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Dec 2022 18:16

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99

Bowen and ince have been very practical I think. The technically gifted players cost money and we’ve been able to pick up big physical guys like Loum and Sarr on the cheap

We must have one of the tallest sides in the champ and we’ve adapted our play for it. I’d like us to be a bit prettier at times but can’t argue with how effective it’s been - and it’s quite possible with the players back from injury we could push top 10 - a remarkable achievement considering

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Dec 2022 18:24

Hound
Zip
YorkshireRoyal99

Bowen and ince have been very practical I think. The technically gifted players cost money and we’ve been able to pick up big physical guys like Loum and Sarr on the cheap

We must have one of the tallest sides in the champ and we’ve adapted our play for it. I’d like us to be a bit prettier at times but can’t argue with how effective it’s been - and it’s quite possible with the players back from injury we could push top 10 - a remarkable achievement considering

Yep agree

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 12 Dec 2022 20:21

Won’t it be great if West Brom get relegated- 1-0 down at Sunderland

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Dec 2022 21:49

Royals and Racers Won’t it be great if West Brom get relegated- 1-0 down at Sunderland

2-1 up in injury time. 4th win in a row if it stays like this.

More chance of a play-off push than relegation.

17306 posts