Rival Watch

17376 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rival Watch

by Stranded » 27 Feb 2023 22:01

4 wins in 19 for Swansea and they stay below us in the table.

Interesting* stat but 3 of those 4 wins have come against teams who had a man sent off. In 2 games, it was 0-0 at time of card. Against Blackpool they were winning, Blackpool equalised and the winner was an OG.

They are pretty much in freefall.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 27 Feb 2023 22:18

Mr Angry A draw suits us; keeps Swansea below us.

We are destined to disagree on everyfuckingthing.

Assuming our goal is avoiding relegation, we definitely needed Rotherham to lose.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 27 Feb 2023 22:46

LUX

Assuming our goal is avoiding relegation, we definitely needed Rotherham to lose.

Rotherham are now 6 points outside the relegation zone and still 7 points behind us; they had won 11 points from their last 13 games (we have won 15 points in our last 12 games).

Therefore, the chances of Rotherham - let alone any of the bottom 3 - catching us, are remote.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Feb 2023 05:48

LUX

We have increased our gap over Rotherham by 2pts whilst leapfrogging Swansea over this round of games, and have a game in hand.

We want as man teams below as possible, esp those in shocking form like Swansea, Brum and QPR as if the bottom 3 are likely to catch us (they aren't) they will catch them first.

Draw was a perfect result last night.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Feb 2023 08:40

Hound Rotherham actually May finally have enough about them to stay up this year

Fair chance Martin will leave Swansea soon I reckon - maybe end of season. Doesn’t sound like it’s going too well down there

I think he got hacked off with no signings in January, even after he publicly said that he was planning on bringing some players in. So I can understand his frustrations if he was that confident of incoming signings for a play off push but they never arrived, especially with a couple of departures as well (Whittaker came back from Plymouth as an "incoming" I guess).

Ryan Manning also isn't signing a new deal (could be a good option for us is we persist with wing backs next season) either which I'm sure he won't be too pleased about as he has been one of their more influential players this season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Feb 2023 08:56

Here is the table (minus last nights result) for all games since the restart:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/co ... -and-away/

In short, we are 15th - only Hull of the sides currently below us have taken more points since the restart.

Brum and QPR look screwed unless something major happens i.e. Ainsworth has an immediate positive impact at QPR.

Brum have lost 9 of their last 11 - only the back to back wins over Swansea and WBA breaking up runs of 5 and 4 straight defeats.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Feb 2023 09:03

Stranded Here is the table (minus last nights result) for all games since the restart:

In short, we are 15th - only Hull of the sides currently below us have taken more points since the restart.

Brum and QPR look screwed unless something major happens i.e. Ainsworth has an immediate positive impact at QPR.

Brum have lost 9 of their last 11 - only the back to back wins over Swansea and WBA breaking up runs of 5 and 4 straight defeats.

Middlesbrough have a 100% record at home, I would say that's due to change but they are playing the (second) best side possible to make sure it doesn't.

QPR and Birmingham might just about have enough of a buffer over the bottom 3 currently to stay up and there are still a lot of games left for them to pick up possibly 2/3 wins that will probably see them safe. If they continue like they are though then they will go down and rightfully so as they will have been one of the worst sides in the league for over half of the season by that point.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Feb 2023 09:24

Birmingham will survive. They're always down there but they just never drop.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Feb 2023 09:26

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded Here is the table (minus last nights result) for all games since the restart:

Middlesbrough have a 100% record at home, I would say that's due to change but they are playing the (second) best side possible to make sure it doesn't.

QPR and Birmingham might just about have enough of a buffer over the bottom 3 currently to stay up and there are still a lot of games left for them to pick up possibly 2/3 wins that will probably see them safe. If they continue like they are though then they will go down and rightfully so as they will have been one of the worst sides in the league for over half of the season by that point.

QPR and Brum's next few games could go a long way in either pulling them in or closing out the relegation battle:

QPR

Rotherham (a)
Watford (H)
Blackpool (a)
Birmingham (H)
Wigan (a)

Birmingham

Wigan (a)
Rotherham (H)
Watford (a)
QPR (a)

Outside of that Rotherham can really get over the line and push others under it - as well as the games against QPR & Brum, they have Cardiff in their next 5 (plus PNE and Hull).

On the flip side - Swansea's next 3 is probably equally as hard as ours - Luton (a), Boro (H), Millwall (a) and their derby games against Bristol and Cardiff follow those.
Last edited by Stranded on 28 Feb 2023 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 28 Feb 2023 09:28

I think that the consistently dreadful form of the bottom 3 will condemn them; I had been expecting at least one of them to have a run that pulls them out (at which point Cardiff & Rotherham would have been sucked into the bottom 3) but it simply hasn't happened.

Normally by now, one team is already so far adrift you think - 15 games out - that they are down; that hasn't happened this season, so a late run of form by someone (most likely on paper to be Huddersfield) will save them. Regardless, with our home form I just don't see us as being under threat of relegation any more.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Feb 2023 09:31

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99

QPR and Brum's next few games could go a long way in either pulling them in or closing out the relegation battle:

QPR

Rotherham (a)
Watford (H)
Blackpool (a)
Birmingham (H)
Wigan (a)

Birmingham

Wigan (a)
Rotherham (H)
Watford (a)
QPR (a)

Outside of that Rotherham can really get over the line and push others under it - as well as the games against QPR & Brum, they have Cardiff in their next 5 (plus PNE and Hull).

On the flip side - Swansea's next 3 is probably equally as hard as ours - Luton (a), Boro (H), Millwall (a) and their derby games against Bristol and Cardiff follow those.

I know a Birmingham fan who believes if they don't win at least one of their next 2 games he thinks they will go down and obviously if QPR aren't to get much from their next 5 then they could easily be sucked in. I don't anticipate both teams will go down though, only one if either were to do.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Feb 2023 11:49

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound Rotherham actually May finally have enough about them to stay up this year

Fair chance Martin will leave Swansea soon I reckon - maybe end of season. Doesn’t sound like it’s going too well down there

I think he got hacked off with no signings in January, even after he publicly said that he was planning on bringing some players in. So I can understand his frustrations if he was that confident of incoming signings for a play off push but they never arrived, especially with a couple of departures as well (Whittaker came back from Plymouth as an "incoming" I guess).

Ryan Manning also isn't signing a new deal (could be a good option for us is we persist with wing backs next season) either which I'm sure he won't be too pleased about as he has been one of their more influential players this season.

Think they really felt they could make the POs this year and to an extent he hasn’t really been supported by the board. They’re not like the Potter/Cooper sides who had tons of experience and quality players so it was bit unrealistic tbh

Probably about where they should be. However think his football is boring the fans, probably rightfully so

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Feb 2023 12:26

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

Think they really felt they could make the POs this year and to an extent he hasn’t really been supported by the board. They’re not like the Potter/Cooper sides who had tons of experience and quality players so it was bit unrealistic tbh

Probably about where they should be. However think his football is boring the fans, probably rightfully so

He was probably right as well. Even after a poor run of form and a 2-1 home defeat to Burnley they were only 4 points outside the POs, so a couple of quality reinforcements and they might have felt they'd have had a good chance to get in them, particularly with the league being as close as it is/was.

But yeah, they are about where they should be, mid table.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Mar 2023 22:52

Luckily even if we get 6 points docked there's 5 teams below us and a couple only slightly ahead

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Mar 2023 08:59

Blackburn getting a winnable QF tie at Sheffield United may well be a small bonus for us as that game is on the weekend of the 18th - they might take their eye off the ball a little during our midweek game.

And as they are a team beginning with B, lump on an away win now.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Mar 2023 11:20

Stranded Blackburn getting a winnable QF tie at Sheffield United may well be a small bonus for us as that game is on the weekend of the 18th - they might take their eye off the ball a little during our midweek game.

I'll lump £100 on it. We have to do the double on someone this season

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Mar 2023 11:39

Royal_jimmy
Stranded Blackburn getting a winnable QF tie at Sheffield United may well be a small bonus for us as that game is on the weekend of the 18th - they might take their eye off the ball a little during our midweek game.

I'll lump £100 on it. We have to do the double on someone this season

Got Millwall, Wigan and Hull all to play at home still as well. Think we may do the double on 1 or 2 out of the 3.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Mar 2023 21:54

Wba running out of steam. Do hope they stay down

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Mar 2023 22:19

Hound Wba running out of steam. Do hope they stay down

Feels like they're the next team to be proper oxf*rd when their parachute payments run out, so yeah, stay down and burn.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 04 Mar 2023 10:03

17376 posts