Rival Watch

17306 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rival Watch

by Stranded » 02 Apr 2024 08:08

Silver Fox Burton, Port Vale and Cheltenham are 5, 6 & 7 points back with 5, 6 & 7 games to play respectively. It’s a tough shout to get 1 PPG more than the team you’re chasing so I’d fancy our chances that 2 of them won’t manage it

Agreed, I think next week will pretty much finish off the relegation conversation for a couple of clubs one way or the other - some interesting fixtures:

Burton's next two are Oxford and Stevenage - who will both need wins if they are to stand any chance of stopping the Lincoln surge - given Burton have only picked up 2pts from the last 27 available, it is hard to seeing them picking up much more than a point there. They then finish against Cheltenham, Us and Fleetwood - at worst you would hope that by the time we go there, it will be a case of a win sees us confirm finishing aboce them.

Cheltenham are on a run of 1 win in 8 and have to play 7 games in 21 days. That will be very tough when in poor form and after losing from a winning position yesterday.

Vale have a kind run in, outside of Peterborough and Bolton, mostly playing teams on the beach, so they may fancy their chances to pick up enough to get out of it but I don't think they will catch us. As a betting man, I think Vale will overtake Burton on the final day - with Burton joining Cheltenham through the trapdoor.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Apr 2024 09:25

Orion1871
windermereROYAL Just took a sneaky look at Bristol rovers and Burton`s recent home records who we have yet to visit, the last 16 combined they`ve won 3 between them.
Barnsley who we visit a week Saturday aren`t no great shakes at home either, 4 wins from 10.

They'll be ecstatic that Charity FC are turning up then.

4 defeats in 12 (3 against the current top 3 sides) really isn`t so bad.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Apr 2024 09:27

windermereROYAL
Orion1871
windermereROYAL Just took a sneaky look at Bristol rovers and Burton`s recent home records who we have yet to visit, the last 16 combined they`ve won 3 between them.
Barnsley who we visit a week Saturday aren`t no great shakes at home either, 4 wins from 10.

Yes it is.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Apr 2024 09:31

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL
Orion1871

Yes it is.

Especially as it's 5 defeats in the last 12 - have won 6 though - so it's not too shabby really.

In context, only 9 sides have lost less than 5 games in the last 12 and 3 of those picked up less points than us.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Apr 2024 09:36

Stranded
NathStPaul
windermereROYAL

Yes it is.

Especially as it's 5 defeats in the last 12 - have won 6 though - so it's not too shabby really.

In context, only 9 sides have lost less than 5 games in the last 12 and 3 of those picked up less points than us.

I meant away games which i didn`t mention, over to you Nath.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Apr 2024 09:40

windermereROYAL
Stranded
NathStPaul Yes it is.

I meant away games which i didn`t mention, over to you Nath.

I was agreeing with you thicko.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Apr 2024 09:53

windermereROYAL
Orion1871

Our away record after losing the first 8 away is W3, D5, L4 which is not shabby when 3 of those losses were the top 3. I think we'll win at either Bristol Rovers or Burton which will basically seal survival.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Apr 2024 10:05

WestYorksRoyal
windermereROYAL
Orion1871

Our away record after losing the first 8 away is W3, D5, L4 which is not shabby when 3 of those losses were the top 3. I think we'll win at either Bristol Rovers or Burton which will basically seal survival.

Rovers and Burton have lost a combined 11 of their last 16 home games, so one would hope we are capable of getting a win at one of the two or at least not lose both. Even Barnsley have failed to win in 5 of their last 8 home games (D2 L3).

At home, Lincoln, whilst or white hot form are W4 D2 L2 away, over last 8 so a result is achieveable - they of course destroyed Barnsley 5-1 but outside of that their away wins have been at Port Vale, Carlisle & Burton who are in the bottom 5 when it comes to home records this season.

Hopefully Blackpool will mean nothing but they have lost 5 of their last 8 away, winning the others.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Apr 2024 10:20

We are at a point where I think we'd basically have to lose every game to be relegated. In simple terms I think we'd have to have a complete collapse to go down with an effective 7pt gap with between 5-7 games remaining.

I'd happily take a point this weekend.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Apr 2024 18:42

Wycombe lose at Wembley :D

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 07 Apr 2024 18:48

We need Peterborough to beat Port Vale on Wednesday.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Apr 2024 07:34

LUX We need Peterborough to beat Port Vale on Wednesday.

I doubt Port Vale’s keeper will be quite so accommodating as to gift them two, sadly

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Apr 2024 10:57

After Saturday it`s now 3 wins from 18 combined.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Apr 2024 11:01

Reports suggesting Rovers played pretty well against Bolton on Saturday. Not sure how much to read into it. Teams in poor form often put in a valiant effort against the top teams and then don't turn up for the winnable fixtures.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Apr 2024 11:59

I'd find it very surprising if we get relegated at this point so I just hope Portsmouth, Derby and Bolton go up, get rid of 3 that will just most likely be up and around the top again next season.

Not saying that we should be challenging for the top but considering the recruitment we pulled off last Summer despite the restrictions, I think if we have a very productive Summer window again, a promotion season isn't impossible and the less competitive teams, the better.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Apr 2024 12:06

tidus_mi2 I'd find it very surprising if we get relegated at this point so I just hope Portsmouth, Derby and Bolton go up, get rid of 3 that will just most likely be up and around the top again next season.

Not saying that we should be challenging for the top but considering the recruitment we pulled off last Summer despite the restrictions, I think if we have a very productive Summer window again, a promotion season isn't impossible and the less competitive teams, the better.

Promotion next season would surpass my expectations significantly. And you don’t want to sneak promotion as a good L1 team; you want to do it convincingly as a Championship team in waiting ready to compete at a higher level. See the difference in our Premier League performance between 2006 and 2012. The top 3 are at that level so agree you want them all promoted and out of the equation for next year.

I'll happily take being a good top 10 team continuing our development. Play off loss would be a good season on paper and give the team appetite to go one better the next year. Part of me can't take another play-off heartbreak, but hopefully I'll be able to see the bigger picture especially after the past few years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2024 12:26

WestYorksRoyal
tidus_mi2 I'd find it very surprising if we get relegated at this point so I just hope Portsmouth, Derby and Bolton go up, get rid of 3 that will just most likely be up and around the top again next season.

Promotion next season would surpass my expectations significantly. And you don’t want to sneak promotion as a good L1 team; you want to do it convincingly as a Championship team in waiting ready to compete at a higher level. See the difference in our Premier League performance between 2006 and 2012. The top 3 are at that level so agree you want them all promoted and out of the equation for next year.

I'll happily take being a good top 10 team continuing our development. Play off loss would be a good season on paper and give the team appetite to go one better the next year. Part of me can't take another play-off heartbreak, but hopefully I'll be able to see the bigger picture especially after the past few years.

All down to the summer. Keep the majority of the squad and make a couple of quality signings with a full preseason and everyone fit, and with a decent start I see no reason we couldn’t get autos.

Lose players, struggle with recruitment and preseason and injury and we could easily be fighting relegation again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2024 12:50

Tomorrow really has to be Cheltenham's last chance. If they can't beat an already relegated bottom side at home, they can have no hope of survival.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Apr 2024 12:53

Snowflake Royal Tomorrow really has to be Cheltenham's last chance. If they can't beat an already relegated bottom side at home, they can have no hope of survival.

Their next 3 are Carlisle (H), Rovers (H) and Burton (A). You'd think they need 6 or 7 from them, as their last 3 are Lincoln (H), P'Boro (H) and Stevenage (A).

It would be remarkable if both us and Cheltenham survived given the state of the table in November.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 08 Apr 2024 14:22

Snowflake Royal Tomorrow really has to be Cheltenham's last chance. If they can't beat an already relegated bottom side at home, they can have no hope of survival.

But obviously there is no pressure on Carlisle any more so they may play in a much more relaxed way....

17306 posts