MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by new season optimism

157 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by new season optimism

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2019 08:13

Pepe the Horseman Managerless Wednesday. This could be double figures.

I doubt they'll get than many, we look pretty solid at the back.

Bah-dum-tish.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jul 2019 09:20

Snowflake Royal
morganb
NewCorkSeth I think Swift is better than Olise. Play our best players in their best positions.

I have a feeling that Jose will play Loader over Olise.

Olise has looked a cut above, but I do quite like the idea of easing him in carefully and not chucking too much responsibility at him too soon. At worst, he's going to get a lot of sub appearances in this side. That should do for now, and if he excels in them, then he earns his starting place.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with a 17 year old prospect starting on the bench. If Swift underperformed as we all know he has the propensity to do then Olise will have plenty of minutes this season.

What I find ridiculous is the amount of Twitter users claiming Barrow and Meite should be dropped for Barrett and Olise..

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2019 09:30

It’s twitter....

I don’t think José will throw many surprises next week

Strangely not too sure where a new signing will fit in, unless it is a DM to partner Swift and Rino with Barrett dropping to the bench

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jul 2019 09:34

Hound It’s twitter....

Strangely not too sure where a new signing will fit in, unless it is a DM to partner Swift and Rino with Barrett dropping to the bench

I'm not used to Twitter.. I thought the stories were largely exaggerated.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Jul 2019 09:45

Hound It’s twitter....

I was also wondering how the team would look if any other signings were brought in this week, as people are already worrying we have too many good centre backs.

I imagine we are still looking to strengthen in midfield and attack, so who will be most impacted if we bring in new players?

I also wonder how bad the Blackett injury is and who the most likely replacement would be (Richards?)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2019 12:49

A good, fit, striker or midfielder walks into this side.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jul 2019 12:56

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
morganb
I have a feeling that Jose will play Loader over Olise.

Olise has looked a cut above, but I do quite like the idea of easing him in carefully and not chucking too much responsibility at him too soon. At worst, he's going to get a lot of sub appearances in this side. That should do for now, and if he excels in them, then he earns his starting place.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with a 17 year old prospect starting on the bench. If Swift underperformed as we all know he has the propensity to do then Olise will have plenty of minutes this season.

What I find ridiculous is the amount of Twitter users claiming Barrow and Meite should be dropped for Barrett and Olise..

Tbf if you’re going purely off pre season games Barrett and Olise have shone out more than most of the others (well Barrett has in the last couple). If Barrett is dropped now, it begs the question what more could he do in the last couple of games? I think all four of them will start personally

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 29 Jul 2019 13:13

I remember that feeling of utter deflation after the Derby home game last season. Looking forward to experiencing more of the same come 4.45pm on Saturday.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jul 2019 14:00

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Tbf if you’re going purely off pre season games Barrett and Olise have shone out more than most of the others (well Barrett has in the last couple). If Barrett is dropped now, it begs the question what more could he do in the last couple of games? I think all four of them will start personally

That'd be great for morale.

"Sorry John, Yakou and Mo. The youngsters did better in the friendlies so forget about starting. It doesn't matter that none of them have experience in this league or that you played really well last season under me, they looked promising in some preseason friendlies"

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jul 2019 15:13

Zammo I remember that feeling of utter deflation after the Derby home game last season. Looking forward to experiencing more of the same come 4.45pm on Saturday.

Although, that was more due to the result, rather than how we played.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jul 2019 15:39

Hendo
Zammo I remember that feeling of utter deflation after the Derby home game last season. Looking forward to experiencing more of the same come 4.45pm on Saturday.

It was all going very well until the GK error. Sadly it's not hard to imagine the same this time.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2019 15:42

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo

It was all going very well until the GK error. Sadly it's not hard to imagine the same this time.

Still say that Mannone error was a sliding doors moment for the season - we win that game without it and could easily have finished mid table as confidence built.

Absolutely no reason why we shouldn't win this game by a couple of goals on Saturday if we play as we did in the last 2 friendlies - some of the passing and movement will cause Weds massive headaches.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jul 2019 15:51

I actually think this is an important game too. Our early fixtures are not kind; lose on the opening day and we could be in the bottom 3 going into September, with a young squad.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 29 Jul 2019 16:03

Hendo

Absolutely. Deflation rather than suicidal lol.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jul 2019 19:42

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Exactly. Nothing wrong with a 17 year old prospect starting on the bench. If Swift underperformed as we all know he has the propensity to do then Olise will have plenty of minutes this season.

"Sorry John, Yakou and Mo. The youngsters did better in the friendlies so forget about starting. It doesn't matter that none of them have experience in this league or that you played really well last season under me, they looked promising in some preseason friendlies"

Massive :| to that

Didn’t say in that post anywhere that they should be playing “over” them. Merely stating that in the last two pre season games (which is usually an indication of the opening XI) Barrett has got two in two and Olise shone out against one of the top teams in England. Hence they should probably play over Loader. If you can read, I did say all four will probably start too (which included Meite and Barrow)

You’re really quite precious over Swift as well aren’t you?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jul 2019 20:20

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Massive :| to that

Didn’t say in that post anywhere that they should be playing “over” them. Merely stating that in the last two pre season games (which is usually an indication of the opening XI) Barrett has got two in two and Olise shone out against one of the top teams in England. Hence they should probably play over Loader. If you can read, I did say all four will probably start too (which included Meite and Barrow)

You’re really quite precious over Swift as well aren’t you?

Quite right I misread! As you can see from the section where I said "what I expect to see" above I actually think both will start. I conflated what you were saying with other things I read today suggesting Olise starts AMR and Barrett AML with Meite and Barrow dropping out altogether. My apologies.

SwfcHamish

by SwfcHamish » 29 Jul 2019 21:15

Looking forward to playing you guys and starting the season.

I don't think we are in as much turmoil as other football clubs think. We have probably had the best pre season for years in terms of fitness and trimming the deadwood from the last few years. We have added much needed pace and the group seems to be closely bonded and working hard for Lee Bullen.

Of course we could be trounced by you guys because its the Championship and we know its possible for anything to happen.

Overall though, i think under Bruce we were hoping to push for the play offs. We are now out of our embargo and our dodgy stadium dealings might mean we can spend money again. Depends who we get in as to whether we can achieve that. Other than that I think we'll be between 8th and 12th.

What are your guys expectations for the game and the season?

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 29 Jul 2019 21:35

3-0

Olise
Barrow
Adam

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 29 Jul 2019 22:02

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Hendo

Still say that Mannone error was a sliding doors moment for the season - we win that game without it and could easily have finished mid table as confidence built.

Absolutely no reason why we shouldn't win this game by a couple of goals on Saturday if we play as we did in the last 2 friendlies - some of the passing and movement will cause Weds massive headaches.

Wouldn't have made a difference. We were shite either way.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2019 10:27

SwfcHamish Looking forward to playing you guys and starting the season.

I don't think we are in as much turmoil as other football clubs think. We have probably had the best pre season for years in terms of fitness and trimming the deadwood from the last few years. We have added much needed pace and the group seems to be closely bonded and working hard for Lee Bullen.

Of course we could be trounced by you guys because its the Championship and we know its possible for anything to happen.

Overall though, i think under Bruce we were hoping to push for the play offs. We are now out of our embargo and our dodgy stadium dealings might mean we can spend money again. Depends who we get in as to whether we can achieve that. Other than that I think we'll be between 8th and 12th.

What are your guys expectations for the game and the season?

your best bet is to check out the 'where will we finish' thread

157 posts