MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by new season optimism

157 posts
The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by new season optimism

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Aug 2019 00:22

alfie9
StellaPlease Can't wait to shove it all up the pundits arses this season. You watch, ten games in, we'll be the 'surprise package'

Listened to the not the top 20 podcast last night and it makes me want us to prove people wrone even more.

Gonna really enjoy listening to all these morons eat crow when we're ahead of Leeds and Fulham after 10 games :lol:

.that wont happen

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Aug 2019 17:08

Just a reminder on the main changes to the laws if the game...

1. The ball no longer has to leave the penalty box at a goal kick, defenders are allowed into the box but attackers are not
2. Substitutes will leave the pitch at the nearest touch/goal line
3. When a team has three or more players in a wall for a free-kick, the attacking team can not put their own players in it
4. Keepers MUST have at least 1 foot on the goal line when penalties are taken
5. If a drop ball is awarded then it will go to the last team that touched the ball and will not be contested
6. If the ball strikes the ref and a team gains significant advantage then the ref will stop the game and award a drop ball
7. Handball is still going to be a dodgy call. Unnatural position of arms is very subjective though FIFA have tried to tighten it by saying the natural silhouette of a player! Basically anything other than hands down by the side is going to be open to the usual controversy.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Aug 2019 17:58

morganb
StellaPlease They're talking about the championship on Talksport just now. They picked 5 clubs to talk about and at the end, Jason Cundy said what about Reading? I saw them play on Sunday and I was really impressed with how they passed the ball through the middle and that we've made some good signings. He expects us to do better than expected.

He was doing the commentary for Chelsea TV and from the highlights on YouTube he was also quite complimentary about us. It's nice to hear at least one person in the media sticking up for tinpot Reading.

Or actually someone using their own experience and personal observations to form a judgement, rather than listen to a bunch of bandwagon jumpers who, despite mainly being ex-pros, don’t really know that much about the game

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 03 Aug 2019 07:51

morganb
StellaPlease They're talking about the championship on Talksport just now. They picked 5 clubs to talk about and at the end, Jason Cundy said what about Reading? I saw them play on Sunday and I was really impressed with how they passed the ball through the middle and that we've made some good signings. He expects us to do better than expected.

He was doing the commentary for Chelsea TV and from the highlights on YouTube he was also quite complimentary about us. It's nice to hear at least one person in the media sticking up for tinpot Reading.

I'm quite happy being ignored and going under the radar. I read a Sky Sports article yesterday, where they spoke about the teams that will do well, and those that will struggle, we weren't even mentioned. Ace.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 03 Aug 2019 08:00

Im so nervous
Excited
Optimistic

Lets go URZ!!!!

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 03 Aug 2019 12:39

Sutekh Just a reminder on the main changes to the laws if the game...

1. The ball no longer has to leave the penalty box at a goal kick, defenders are allowed into the box but attackers are not
2. Substitutes will leave the pitch at the nearest touch/goal line
3. When a team has three or more players in a wall for a free-kick, the attacking team can not put their own players in it
4. Keepers MUST have at least 1 foot on the goal line when penalties are taken
5. If a drop ball is awarded then it will go to the last team that touched the ball and will not be contested
6. If the ball strikes the ref and a team gains significant advantage then the ref will stop the game and award a drop ball
7. Handball is still going to be a dodgy call. Unnatural position of arms is very subjective though FIFA have tried to tighten it by saying the natural silhouette of a player! Basically anything other than hands down by the side is going to be open to the usual controversy.

For some reason rule 5 makes me unreasonably angry.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 03 Aug 2019 12:50

Same!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Aug 2019 12:55

Really? I always thought the contested drop balls were archaic and didnt make sense for the sport.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 03 Aug 2019 13:42

NewCorkSeth Really? I always thought the contested drop balls were archaic and didnt make sense for the sport.

The OG rule was actually that there was no limit to the number of players who could contest a drop ball.

I feel we have lost something here.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Aug 2019 13:45

stealthpapes
NewCorkSeth Really? I always thought the contested drop balls were archaic and didnt make sense for the sport.

The OG rule was actually that there was no limit to the number of players who could contest a drop ball.

As much as I would love to watch 20 or so men kick the ever loving shit out of each others shins on a semi regular basis I just dont think its necessary.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Aug 2019 14:02

Team sheet is up. I'm too lazy to repost. Loader in for Olise essentially.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Aug 2019 14:07

Virginia
Yiadom
Richards
Moore
Miazga
Rinomhota
Swift
Loader
Meite
Barrow
Barrett

Subs: Walker, Morrison, McIntyre, Olise, Baldock. Novakovich, Adam.

So Swift faffing about in our half with Rini having to do the defensive duties of two men. I know he's not wanted, but whilst he's here I'd use Gunter over Richards at LB any day. And a fluid front four with not a lot of presence up top.

Big day for Barrett and Virginia. G'arn URRZZZ!!!!
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 03 Aug 2019 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Aug 2019 14:08

Subs

Walker
Adam
McIntyre
Morrison
Novakovich
Baldock
Olise

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 03 Aug 2019 14:15

WHAT A TEAM!!! It is like a nice rack of ribs. Solid at the back, a great spine and meaty up top.

Super Charlie Adam to come off the bench and score is my prediction.

Loader to score 2 and RFC 3-1

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Aug 2019 14:16

The Enfield Royal71 WHAT A TEAM!!! It is like a nice rack of ribs. Solid at the back, a great spine and meaty up top.

What rack of ribs has a spine?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 03 Aug 2019 14:16

Snowflake Royal Virginia
Yiadom
Richards
Moore
Miazga
Rinomhota
Swift
Loader
Meite
Barrow
Barrett

Subs: Walker, Morrison, McIntyre, Olise, Baldock. Novakovich, Adam.

So Swift faffing about in our half with Rini having to do the defensive duties of two men. I know he's not wanted, but whilst he's here I'd use Gunter over Richards at LB any day. And a fluid front four with not a lot of presence up top.

Big day for Barrett and Virginia. G'arn URRZZZ!!!!

Lets hope Barrett and Virginia can handle the big stage and the big warhorse S.Fletcher doesn't bully us.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 03 Aug 2019 14:18

NewCorkSeth
The Enfield Royal71 WHAT A TEAM!!! It is like a nice rack of ribs. Solid at the back, a great spine and meaty up top.

What rack of ribs has a spine?

The figurative spine is the small bone in the ribs, or the actual spine is commonly not on the traditional rack of ribs you eat in a restaurant or buy from the shop as it is removed beforehand.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 03 Aug 2019 14:28

NewCorkSeth
stealthpapes

As much as I would love to watch 20 or so men kick the ever loving shit out of each others shins on a semi regular basis I just dont think its necessary.

well its certainly niche, Seth

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 03 Aug 2019 14:51

3points
morganb

Or actually someone using their own experience and personal observations to form a judgement, rather than listen to a bunch of bandwagon jumpers who, despite mainly being ex-pros, don’t really know that much about the game

But it was Jason Cundy!!!!!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Aug 2019 14:59

Great noise from club 1871 so far, love the David Brent banner :D

157 posts