211 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: FA Cup 19/20

by Hendo » 17 Jan 2020 08:42

Old Man Andrews
Royals and Racers
Sutekh
If the Bristol City game is reorganised for the Tuesday then Reading will also have 3 games in 6 days.

Both sides are therefore very likely to field strong “youth/reserve” sides in the cup.

Reading would be silly in arranging the game for that Tuesday. far better for Tues/Wed February 4/5th or Tues/Wed February 18/19th.

Er I don't think Reading arrange it, its not the Dog and Duck v Red Lion in a Sunday morning pub league.

Both clubs have to agree the date and then the FA confirm it, I believe.

If Bristol City are open to a date in Feb, then I can see that happening, no issues.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 17 Jan 2020 08:46

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Royals and Racers Reading would be silly in arranging the game for that Tuesday. far better for Tues/Wed February 4/5th or Tues/Wed February 18/19th.

Er I don't think Reading arrange it, its not the Dog and Duck v Red Lion in a Sunday morning pub league.

If Bristol City are open to a date in Feb, then I can see that happening, no issues.

Thinking about it the 4/5th would be a possible replay date so 18/19th would be favourite.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2020 08:49

CountryRoyal
Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal A good League run is far more important than a good cup run, which progressing to the 5th round doesn't ensure even if we beat Cardiff.

Forget the Play Offs, finishing 12th or above will be more impactful than getting an FA Cup QF. We could still go on a poor run and slip back into 17th / 18th territory quite easily. And whilst unlikely a potential points deduction for the stadium sale can't yet be ruled out. 9 points less and we're right back in it.

So the League is key.

No it isn't Ian. A cup semi final/final is key to everything as a football supporter, it is about as exciting as it gets.

Why anyone would want to be in the Premier League is completely beyond me anyway. Costs more money, less games, VAR, our stadium full of fairweather fans. No, it sucks.

+1

If it was possible, winning every game in the championship > losing every game in the prem.

Can't say just getting smashed by Liverpool/Man City as soon as we meet them in the cup is that appealing either tbh

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jan 2020 08:55

Hound
CountryRoyal
Old Man Andrews No it isn't Ian. A cup semi final/final is key to everything as a football supporter, it is about as exciting as it gets.

Why anyone would want to be in the Premier League is completely beyond me anyway. Costs more money, less games, VAR, our stadium full of fairweather fans. No, it sucks.

+1

If it was possible, winning every game in the championship > losing every game in the prem.

Can't say just getting smashed by Liverpool/Man City as soon as we meet them in the cup is that appealing either tbh

A game like that is a great one off ocassion that can liven up a midtable Championship season. Playing the likes of them every week and paying double the money to do isn't my idea of fun.

Reading are a midtable Championship team, thats our level in life. Embrace it and enjoy the Football League, it is by far the best place for us to be.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Jan 2020 08:55

Perhaps Bowen will use the next two league games to guide his thought process for the cup?

Good return and he’ll go with a weaker team
Poor return and he’ll go with a stronger team

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jan 2020 08:57

URZZZZ Perhaps Bowen will use the next two league games to guide his thought process for the cup?

Good return and he’ll go with a weaker team
Poor return and he’ll go with a stronger team

Good point. Good thing with Bowen is it seems like he has installed a winning mentality in all the players, even the youth lads. That stands us in good stead no matter who plays.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jan 2020 09:05

Old Man Andrews
Hound
CountryRoyal
+1

A game like that is a great one off ocassion that can liven up a midtable Championship season. Playing the likes of them every week and paying double the money to do isn't my idea of fun.

Reading are a midtable Championship team, thats our level in life. Embrace it and enjoy the Football League, it is by far the best place for us to be.

Stadium would be full of fair weather fans though :wink:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jan 2020 09:50

Royals and Racers
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Er I don't think Reading arrange it, its not the Dog and Duck v Red Lion in a Sunday morning pub league.

Thinking about it the 4/5th would be a possible replay date so 18/19th would be favourite.

Would say 18th/19th Feb is most likely but no major rush for the replay as the 5th round is delayed this year until March, so could even have the replay later.

Agree that under no circumstances should we look to play Bristol on the 28th, would be insane to do and no real reason for it. Although see Derby are playing on the 28th at Luton before playing Stoke on the Friday night. However, their cup tie at Northampton has been brought forward to the Friday night.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 17 Jan 2020 10:06

As a non season ticket holder who has mostly sat in Y26 for at least the last 5 years I am a bit annoyed that season ticket holders are given priority for seats in the area they left ie Y25& Y26 and I have to wait until Tuesday to get my tickets!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Jan 2020 10:40

It's only the FA Cup, there will be plenty of tickets left. I know of one season ticket holders seat that will definitely be available.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jan 2020 10:41

sandman It's only the FA Cup, there will be plenty of tickets left. I know of one season ticket holders seat that will definitely be available.

But you'll be crying about tickets should we draw Liverpool at home in the Quarter Finals yeah? Typical Reading supporter, can't be bothered to back the team at all times.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Jan 2020 10:52

No one apart from internet edgelords with multiple usernames and old people give a flying one about the F[u]ck All Cup.

As a season ticket holder I wouldn't be "crying" if we drew Liverpool because I'd get a ticket anyway. Not that I'd want one. 8)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Jan 2020 10:58

Oh and I'll be backing the team in the league games, which are far more important than a third rate Cup competition that we have no chance of winning.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jan 2020 11:00

You aren't a real supporter, you shouldn't even be allowed to go to games. You're a disgrace.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Jan 2020 11:03

:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jan 2020 11:35

Hound
CountryRoyal
Old Man Andrews No it isn't Ian. A cup semi final/final is key to everything as a football supporter, it is about as exciting as it gets.

+1

Yeah, and equally losing lots of games in the PL is probably at least as good as losing lots of games in the Champ.

I love the Champ, but this 'we should focus on the FA Cup at all costs' whilst we're still bottom half and trying to rebuild ourselves is just daft, and all the strawmans in the world don't change that.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 17 Jan 2020 11:54

Bristol City at home arranged for Tuesday Jan 28th.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jan 2020 12:11

Barney Bristol City at home arranged for Tuesday Jan 28th.

Seems a bit foolish to me but think we can be fairly certain it'll be a similar side to the one that played Blackpool.

Do see Cardiff are playing on the 28th too, so at least both sides will be in the same boat.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Jan 2020 12:15

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Old Man Andrews Club 1871 closed for the Cardiff game. That will go down well.

Always going to be the case though in the Cup if the away side take their full allocation. Would imagine all 1871 STs were made aware of that when buying them. Sure some will complain though.

Don't recall getting anything about it, but fair enough. Probably knew it deep down in the recesses of my mind anyway.

It was in the large print. It does say you maybe reallocated for cup games ie in case we draw a Liverpool or Man City type club.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jan 2020 12:15

Stranded
Barney Bristol City at home arranged for Tuesday Jan 28th.

Seems a bit foolish to me but think we can be fairly certain it'll be a similar side to the one that played Blackpool.

Do see Cardiff are playing on the 28th too, so at least both sides will be in the same boat.

Yep, not ideal, but as you say, with Cardiff having the same schedule both teams have the same issue.

211 posts