Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (a) sponsored by Neil Webb

by Sutekh » 18 Jan 2020 17:28

When : Wednesday 22nd January 2020, 7.45pm
Where : City Ground, Nottingham, NG2 5FJ
Capacity : 30,445
Away Stand : One side of the lower tier of the Bridgford Stand
What might I see in the area : Robin Hood

After the poor attack showing at Millwall, which has seen many proclaiming all talk of the play offs is nonsense, comes the “second leg” against the tricky trees.

Forest are due to pick up their next three points tomorrow when Luton go a visiting the City Ground so the lads from Nottingham will have one day less rest before taking to the field in this one.

Just as before Lewis Grabban remains the major threat and is the chap that needs to be denied all opportunity. As we saw last week the likes of Sow and Ameobi also have a tendency to make a nuisance of themselves and combined Forest have great threat though I think they are a tad iffy in defence. Forest are very slightly a poorer team at home than they are away so perhaps there maybe something Reading can exploit.

Injuries for Reading read just the same as before currently with no Joao and no Yiadom available. Some will be hoping there’s a new lump of a striker joining in the next few days but we all know really that any inward moves to the club won’t happen until late in the window.

Lastly, be wary if you’re hoping to go to the game as there is a light rain shower expected on Nottingham on Tuesday night....

Referee

David Webb (not the Chelsea/QPR legend) is scheduled to be whistling during this one.

Previously

20 Oct 2018 > Reading 3-1 Millwall
29 Nov 2014 > Norwich City 1-2 Reading
24 Aug 2013 > Blackpool 1-0 Reading
01 Nov 2011 > Nottingham Forest 1-0 Reading
05 Dec 2009 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Reading

Historically

21 seasons shared thus far with the tricky trees. 5 wins to show against Forest’s 12 and only 1 point from the last 5 visits so quite a challenge lies ahead in this one.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (a) sponsored by Neil Webb

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2020 17:31

Wouldn’t overreact here with the team

Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele

McCleary
Swift
Adam
Ejaria

Meite

Walker Miazga Obita Rinomhota Boye Baldock Puscas

Need some height and physicality up top to play a 4–1-4-1 I think

Alternatively from today’s XI, Miazga and Puscas in for Adam and Meite and go a 5-3-2 but I wouldn’t want this being a long term solution

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jan 2020 00:26

This game will also be another go at changing Reading’s utterly appalling record for away midweek evening league fixtures which now stands at only 2 wins in 35 attempts - and none at all for almost exactly 2 years.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Jan 2020 12:04

Sutekh This game will also be another go at changing Reading’s utterly appalling record for away midweek evening league fixtures which now stands at only 2 wins in 35 attempts - and none at all for almost exactly 2 years.

:shock:

Didn't realise it was that bad

May not even bother with red button !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2020 13:29

Think it's worth switching things up a bit for this one. Not because we had one poor game against Millwall or for any knee jerk reasons, but because we only recently played them in a fairly ill disciplined but tight game with late goals for both.

They're a team right at the top and so I think they'll be highly motivated to win the return fixture and want to prepare thoroughly based on how we frustrated them last time.

So let's chuck them a curve ball and some different challenges.

For example, Sow and Adam were getting into each other, so maybe rest him. Switch up the forward line etc. Just give them some new things to worry about.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2020 16:52

Both against Forest and against Millwall from the sound of it, we have struggled up front. It’s no surprise due to the reasons already mentioned about Joao being injured etc

I’m not sure if he’ll change it for this match though. I would personally rather see Baldock/Puscas up front and Adam dropped

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 19 Jan 2020 17:54

I think we should definitely see Obita come in for Blackett in this one. It's tough what to do up front. Baldock isn't overly suited to being an along striker so I'd be inclined to play 2 up front with Puscas.

Sounds brave but I'd go for a 3-5-2 style formation in this with wing backs. Forest play it more through the middle.

Rafael
Gunter
Moore
Morrison
Miazga
Obita
Pele
Swift
Ejaria
Puscas
Baldock

Bench:
Walker
McIntyre
Blackett
Adam
Rino
McCleary
Meite

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jan 2020 08:53

bcubed
Sutekh This game will also be another go at changing Reading’s utterly appalling record for away midweek evening league fixtures which now stands at only 2 wins in 35 attempts - and none at all for almost exactly 2 years.

Is it even on the red button? Didn't think re-arranged fixtures were included in that TV Deal?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2020 09:35

Stranded
bcubed

Is it even on the red button? Didn't think re-arranged fixtures were included in that TV Deal?

I'm guessing Sky could put it on if they wanted and it made a reasonable investment for them. But I haven't seen anything about it being on, so assuming not

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jan 2020 09:37

You'll always find a good enough stream for Forest games anyhow.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2020 10:11

I think we should go with the same team pretty much. They did well in the reverse fixture and were unlucky to concede.
-----------------------Rafael
Gunter---Morrison---Moore---Blackett
-------------------------Pele
------------------Adam---Swift
Meite--------------------------------------Ejaria
-----------------------Puscas
Walker
Yiadom/Obita
Miazga
Rinomhota
Olise
McCleary
Baldock

Think Puscas is slightly better suited to being a lone frontman. Baldock looks out matched. No ability to play with back to goal which is what we are crying out for.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Jan 2020 15:11

If we are to have even the vaguest aspiration to close the gap to the play off contenders then I think this is a must not lose game.

A draw or win here would set us up for wins against Bristol and Cardiff (neither of whom are in great form) and if so we could close the gap between ourselves and 6th to 3-5 points and with lots of winnable games ahead. Less than 6 points from the three games and it is very doubtful we will have time to close the gap over the last 16 games.

Play offs are a very long shot - but it is never over til its over.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 21 Jan 2020 15:16

NewCorkSeth I think we should go with the same team pretty much. They did well in the reverse fixture and were unlucky to concede.
Walker
Yiadom/Obita
Miazga
Rinomhota
Olise
McCleary
Baldock

Think Puscas is slightly better suited to being a lone frontman. Baldock looks out matched. No ability to play with back to goal which is what we are crying out for.

Lost faith with Puskas.Put Meite CF to bash them about a bit,with either Baldock or Boye out wide.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 21 Jan 2020 15:16

NewCorkSeth I think we should go with the same team pretty much. They did well in the reverse fixture and were unlucky to concede.
Walker
Yiadom/Obita
Miazga
Rinomhota
Olise
McCleary
Baldock

Lost faith with Puskas.Put Meite CF to bash them about a bit,with either Baldock or Boye out wide.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2020 15:52

Westwood52
Walker
Yiadom/Obita
Miazga
Rinomhota
Olise
McCleary
Baldock

Why? Hes barely played since returning from injury? Why are people so desperate to write him off?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Jan 2020 16:03

NewCorkSeth
Westwood52
Walker
Yiadom/Obita
Miazga
Rinomhota
Olise
McCleary
Baldock

Why? Hes barely played since returning from injury? Why are people so desperate to write him off?

People like myself and Westwood are presumably harsher because of the price tag

People like yourself are more lenient because of his past reputation IMO

I could be wrong but it seems very much like people are going with the “He will turn good” attitude which in reality, very rarely works

But, let’s be honest, what has Puscas done to deserve to come back into the team in the last 5 months apart from one 10 minute spell where he looked decent?

Personally reckon we’ll see Meite up top with McCleary perhaps out wide but I guess we’ll see. If Puscas starts and scores, that’s great, but he rarely looks like doing so

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2020 16:15

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Westwood52

People like myself and Westwood are presumably harsher because of the price tag

People like yourself are more lenient because of his past reputation IMO

I could be wrong but it seems very much like people are going with the “He will turn good” attitude which in reality, very rarely works

But, let’s be honest, what has Puscas done to deserve to come back into the team in the last 5 months apart from one 10 minute spell where he looked decent?

Personally reckon we’ll see Meite up top with McCleary perhaps out wide but I guess we’ll see. If Puscas starts and scores, that’s great, but he rarely looks like doing so

Nah mate. As far as I know he doesnt have a past reputation. Unless you mean the u21 euros?

I see something in him. Not something of premier league quality like I see in Ejaria or Olise but something nontheless.

Maybe it's the system not suiting him or adapting to a new league and country that has resulted in so many writing him off but, for me, he has done absolutely fine so far and I think has a great chance of improving.

He has shown good aerial ability when attacking the ball, good power and speed, fantastic shooting ability when not 3 yards out in front of an empty net and a good work ethic. In the forest game his hold up play looked a little better too.

Let's give him some more time. Stoked to see you suggest Meite btw. Keep it up.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jan 2020 16:15

Thing is, if what we are lead to believe is true then we will never pay €10m for Pusças unless he is an unqualified success.

We apparently paid a relatively small amount up front so any other amounts are likely due on goals scored, appearances, promotion etc. so judging him by a price tag is futile.

There is a player there but it may be we won't see the best of him until next season - and if he leaves we will likely have recouped our initial outlay.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jan 2020 16:24

Meite has been quite similar to Puscas recently tbh. Had one good half vs Derby, and that really has been about it. Worked hard, done some good defensive work, but offered very little up front

I'd probably rather give McCleary a run to be absolutely honest, use Meite as the plan B.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2020 16:25

Hound Meite has been quite similar to Puscas recently tbh. Had one good half vs Derby, and that really has been about it. Worked hard, done some good defensive work, but offered very little up front

I'd probably rather give McCleary a run to be absolutely honest, use Meite as the plan B.

Was McCleary good in the Blackpool replay?

171 posts