Official RFC Clownovic Day. The protest thread

338 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Official RFC Clownovic Day. The protest thread

by Millsy » 31 Jan 2022 11:53

Definitely no violence.

But it's not like the only options are violence or wear a clown hat is it?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 31 Jan 2022 11:57

paultheroyal
Simmops
paultheroyal
If he can utilise his sources, this might get a wider audience.

my sources do not care about rfc

sorry to hear this - but please, no violence, we dont need violence, we are a family club.

Not even violence that includes all the family?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 Jan 2022 11:57

There doesn't need to be violence to send a message. The protest against Terry Bullivant started with about 5 people running on to the pitch with a banner and just sitting down on the centre circle. Soon the entire Southbank was on with them just stood there making our voices heard, the end result was the chairman coming out and speaking to us and then subsequently a managerial change was made later the same day.
My protest preference would be to absolutely the same thing again. Get someone on the pitch once the injury time board goes up and just sit there, they won't be alone for long. Don't talk to the players, don't touch the players just sit there in silence and make a stand.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Jan 2022 12:00

NathStPaul There doesn't need to be violence to send a message. The protest against Terry Bullivant started with about 5 people running on to the pitch with a banner and just sitting down on the centre circle. Soon the entire Southbank was on with them just stood there making our voices heard, the end result was the chairman coming out and speaking to us and then subsequently a managerial change was made later the same day.
My protest preference would be to absolutely the same thing again. Get someone on the pitch once the injury time board goes up and just sit there, they won't be alone for long. Don't talk to the players, don't touch the players just sit there in silence and make a stand.

John Madesjki in 1998 =/= proud, rich and arrogant Chinese owner who doesn't attend matches.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 Jan 2022 12:06

Dirk Gently
NathStPaul There doesn't need to be violence to send a message. The protest against Terry Bullivant started with about 5 people running on to the pitch with a banner and just sitting down on the centre circle. Soon the entire Southbank was on with them just stood there making our voices heard, the end result was the chairman coming out and speaking to us and then subsequently a managerial change was made later the same day.

John Madesjki in 1998 =/= proud, rich and arrogant Chinese owner who doesn't attend matches.

Oh I'm not suggesting a protest today would have the same affect as back then, I'm just outlining a protest that is both easy to do and non-violent.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Jan 2022 12:14

NathStPaul
Dirk Gently

Oh I'm not suggesting a protest today would have the same affect as back then, I'm just outlining a protest that is both easy to do and non-violent.

Indeed. But things are quite different when you have an overseas owner :
- who thinks the club is his own personal plaything, rather than a community asset;
- who is from a completely different culture which values obedience and hierarchy and hates dissent;
- who has no idea of English football's history and traditions;
- who has total power over the club by virtue of the level of debt it owes him;
- who has walked away from other clubs he owned when things got bad.

Piss him off to much and he walks away - at which point the club ceases to exist.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 Jan 2022 12:16

Dirk Gently
NathStPaul
Dirk Gently

- who thinks the club is his own personal plaything, rather than a community asset;
- who is from a completely different culture which values obedience and hierarchy and hates dissent;

Piss him off to much and he walks away - at which point the club ceases to exist.

I am not sure of wording of the agreement with the EFL but I am pretty sure owners cannot do this. It is part of the deal for them on the fit and proper persons test. He could walk away but only if a suitable buyer was found. Think about how many clubs would have just died if a pissed off owner wanted to just up an leave? It doesn't happen because they aren't allowed to do it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2022 12:18

Dirk Gently
NathStPaul
Dirk Gently

Don't agree we cease to exist.

We want and need the clown to go.

Otherwise, agreed.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Jan 2022 12:23

NathStPaul
Dirk Gently
NathStPaul Oh I'm not suggesting a protest today would have the same affect as back then, I'm just outlining a protest that is both easy to do and non-violent.

I am not sure of wording of the agreement with the EFL but I am pretty sure owners cannot do this. It is part of the deal for them on the fit and proper persons test. He could walk away but only if a suitable buyer was found. Think about how many clubs would have just died if a pissed off owner wanted to just up an leave? It doesn't happen because they aren't allowed to do it.

Really? If he decides to stop putting any money in, what can the EFL do? And how do you find a suitable buyer for a club with debts of over £230M?

He walks, we go into adminstration immediately. Then there needs to a settlement that covers the debts - if one can be made. An d buyer found for a club that's in financial tatters...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Jan 2022 12:24

Snowflake Royal
Dirk Gently
NathStPaul Oh I'm not suggesting a protest today would have the same affect as back then, I'm just outlining a protest that is both easy to do and non-violent.

See my response below. And ask Bury supporters, or Gretna supporters, or Scarborough supporters, or Rushden & Diamonds supporters etc etc

Otherwise, agreed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2022 12:26

Dirk Gently
Snowflake Royal
Dirk Gently

See my response below. And ask Bury supporters, or Gretna supporters, or Scarborough supporters, or Rushden & Diamonds supporters etc etc

Otherwise, agreed.

We're rather a different prospect to all those teams. See literally every other club operating at Championship and above that hasn't ceased to exist when an owner got cold feet.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 31 Jan 2022 13:14

Millsy Definitely no violence.

Are we allowed to throw custard pies at the players?
Or tip buckets with glittery paper in over their heads?
Perhaps we need honky horns - a bit of crowd noise for once?

Clown violence.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Jan 2022 13:17

morganb

Clown violence.

Stop clowning around, we need some serious suggestions.

:wink:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Jan 2022 13:30

morganb

Clown violence.

The doors should fall off every car that arrives at the car park. That'll teach 'em!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2022 13:56

Dirk Gently
NathStPaul
Dirk Gently

Really? If he decides to stop putting any money in, what can the EFL do? And how do you find a suitable buyer for a club with debts of over £230M?

He walks, we go into adminstration immediately. Then there needs to a settlement that covers the debts - if one can be made. An d buyer found for a club that's in financial tatters...

Our only debt is to him isn't it? We are, at least, relatively debt free to third parties.

Not sure if this makes him more or less likely to walk, as doing so will see him write off an immense amount of money - he would be better served trying to find a willing buyer who can pay him X for the club and the stadium and potentially agree a payment plan of any agreed debt.

But in short, we have no idea of the real picture despite it appearing to be a total mess.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 31 Jan 2022 14:07

Clownovic sounds like a good idea to me - as long as we're clear that it's not supposed to be seen as a hostile attack on one individual. It's more about signifying to the owners that we feel like a laughing stock right now and that we might as well dress accordingly.

Firing the manager is the first step in turning things around, not the last.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Jan 2022 14:18

What if we are 2 nil up?

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 31 Jan 2022 14:48

Not quite true. Several hundred on the pitch. Bullivant survived until after the next game - the one-legged goalie disaster at the Manor - and then resigned of his own accord. He heard the call 'Taxi for Terry' for the final time and went, thank the lord.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 Jan 2022 14:50

Fox Talbot

Not quite true. Several hundred on the pitch. Bullivant survived until after the next game - the one-legged goalie disaster at the Manor - and then resigned of his own accord. He heard the call 'Taxi for Terry' for the final time and went, thank the lord.

"Started with about 5 people running on the pitch"

Obviously more followed. :roll:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Jan 2022 14:51

Fox Talbot

And then in the local press that week blamed it all on "internet troublemakers" on the [RoyalMail] email list.

338 posts