BFTG/TV - M'bro H

106 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

BFTG/TV - M'bro H

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2022 17:41

The proverbial game of two halves. Excellent to see the team grinding out a tricky win despite not the best performance. Especially keeping a clean sheet after being under pressure for so long.

We need to play better than that though. We can't afford to give up any pretence at competing beyond defending our 18 yard or even just 6 yard line for what amounts to almost an entire half. And I think we should be pressing higher than we did first half too.

Ince also needs to go to his bench more. I know he doesn’t have much experience. But Abrefa, Camara and Ehibhatiomhan will certainly give you energy and we lacked that all over the pitch. Joao was the obvious sub, but only if we're going to compete across the pitch and keep the ball. He's just not going to chase and harry constantly. If we're conceding two thirds of the pitch, don't bring him on.

Bouzanis - one very good save, but kicking was poor and he managed to combine staying home and flapping at set plays and crosses. If Lumley has more Rotherham performances, he's certainly not the answer based on that one showing.
Yiadom - didn’t really get involved going forward any more than as a RCB, but he was playing RWB.
Hoilett - got kicked all game long, did fairly well moved to the left, but thought we missed NGW. Still don't like the 5 at the back. It's only worked that one game against Blackburn when we weren't really playing it.
Holmes - He's looking good this season. Mopped up a lot
McIntyre - decent game, but surprisingly easy to beat on set plays
Hutchinson - hope the injury isn’t bad. Reads the game quite well and happy to take one for the team and play the cyncial fouls.
Loum - seemed to struggle with a muscle tweak and wasn’t quite on the same pace of the game
Fornah - belter of a goal and some really nice feet and strength but like much of the midfield went missing and couldn’t hold the ball second half
Hendrick - ok, some more Drinkwateresque poor passing, worked hard but also largely missing second half all three must push at least ten yards up.
Ince - this guy's fitness is insane. Ran his absolute bollocks off. Hardest working player on the pitch
Long - didn’t win a lot, what he did win didn't really go anywhere, couldn’t make his breaks tell. Not his day

Joao - cut a lonely and dispirited figure. Got not help and asked to do something he's just not suited to. One beautiful pass that oh so nearly put Ince in.
Clarke - tenacious performance, one superb block, competed well. Promise this one, but not a WB.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG/TV - M'bro H

by Mr Angry » 20 Aug 2022 17:48

A scrappy 1-0 win when not playing well? I would take that every day of the week thank you very much!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Aug 2022 17:51

Mr Angry A scrappy 1-0 win when not playing well? I would take that every day of the week thank you very much!

Abso-bloody-lutely

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 20 Aug 2022 17:52

The difference for me over previous recent seasons is that we appear to have a group of players that collectively give a oxf*rd.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Aug 2022 17:55

First time I don't disagree with the ratings you've given Ian.... :wink:

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 20 Aug 2022 17:58

All you really want of your team is for the players to give 100% and put a full shift in. That happened today with one exception. The lads really did work their socks off and though Boro had by far the most possession, our work rate and never say die attitude was a joy and the fans responded with some great support.

The exception was Joao, who when he came on looked like a flogged donkey, slow, lethargic, not remotely interested and unable to hold the ball up and give our magnificent defence a breather. If he wants to leave, which I think he does, get rid as soon as possible.

As for the rest of the team, well played boys, well played indeed.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Aug 2022 18:07

My nerves were shredded at the end but I loved that performance. Tbh I was pretty confident that Boro wouldn’t score. The grit and determination that Ince has installed into those players is a revelation from last season. Also, the 2 teams that have beaten us this season aren’t doing too badly themselves. A happy evening in Bassett High Street awaits.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2022 18:10

Millsy First time I don't disagree with the ratings you've given Ian.... :wink:

Well, I can’t let you down now can I...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Aug 2022 18:32

We’re going up.

Erm…

I mean down. We’re going down. It’s hopeless. We’re doomed. Boy would I be embarrassed if we succeeded.

bakerlou

by bakerlou » 20 Aug 2022 18:42

Hendrick was massively better than on Wednesday, the furthest forward midfielder throughout the second half. Was completely free and unmarked on 80mins on one of our few breakaways but a poor cross from Ince directed at him failed to find him.

Snowflake Royal Hendrick - ok, some more Drinkwateresque poor passing, worked hard but also largely missing second half all three must push at least ten yards up.

The trouble with not actually going, is that you don't get the full picture sometimes, as is the case here.

Otherwise, largely agreed.

I thought we might have been better off with an extra mid instead of LJ eg Kamara

I was quite impressed with Boro's all-round play but they were us-last-season-before Joao-came-back-from-injury-esque in the last third.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 20 Aug 2022 18:59

Before the game I looked at the stats and the XG implied that Boro had not been getting the results they deserved. It seemed that they would miss 2 or 3 great chances and lose to teams that took theirs.

Actually their stats seemed down to Stamball. It was pretty well 80mins before they had a shot on target, OK we had little possession but we did a whole lot more with it than they did.

Another great team performance with everyone working to hang on to our well taken lead.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 20 Aug 2022 19:01

I thought that Bouzanis actually did pretty well and impressed by his distribution.

It's hard to really judge anyone on the second half performance as we basically just collapsed in on ourselves and let Boro play. I don't think anyone did a bad job.

This is another game that should add some confidence to the squad. We bottled it in the second half, but even then the opponents didn't create anything dangerous. Should provide enough feedback to let the players know they don't have to worry about conceding every 5 mins.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2022 19:19

First half we didn’t have the energy of Wednesday but were still excellent. Think Boro had one half chance and that was it. Whilst we looked quick organised and dangerous

Looked broken by the end of the second half. Completely knackered but kept the concentration and determination. Still looked like the only Boro chance was the header that was saved

Boro tried to be Stamball with some aggression and fell well short:l. They’re basically bottom after 5 games, and won’t go anywhere but mid table with that side. Very unimpressed

Fornah and Yiadom 9
Holmes, TMc, ince and Hendrick 8

Rest 6s and 7s. All did a decent job. Bouzanis was fine.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Aug 2022 19:20

Bouzanis, poor kicking?

What angle did you watch your tv from?
From the ground….

His kicking (normally whilst being put under pressure) was pretty much spot-on.

Couple of crucial saves and claims

Happy with this #2 keeper

Hoilett 8/10 was brilliant in the first half
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 20 Aug 2022 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2022 19:21

One other thing. For all the ridiculous jibes about Ince from pundits and fans, he has us battling for every ball, dangerous going forward, fit and very very organised. Also has the fans back in great voice with a cracking atmosphere today

Not trendy to say this nowadays but him and his coaching team have started the season very well. Don’t buy this poor tactics stuff. Come and watch us and you’ll see he’s getting it right

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 20 Aug 2022 19:35

AthleticoSpizz Bouzanis, poor kicking?

What angle did you watch your tv from?
From the ground….

His kicking (normally whilst being put under pressure) was pretty much spot-on.

Couple of crucial saves and claims

Happy with this #2 keeper

Hoilett 8/10 was brilliant in the first half

On the kicking I think he over hit it quite a bit, also he made a big show of moving everyone over a couple of times and then hit it to where he'd just moved everyone from. Not bad though, very solid backup keeper who appears to be very natural on his left foot too.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 20 Aug 2022 19:37

Hound One other thing. For all the ridiculous jibes about Ince from pundits and fans, he has us battling for every ball, dangerous going forward, fit and very very organised. Also has the fans back in great voice with a cracking atmosphere today

Not trendy to say this nowadays but him and his coaching team have started the season very well. Don’t buy this poor tactics stuff. Come and watch us and you’ll see he’s getting it right

Spot on.

Attitude has taken many teams very far.

And i think if we offload Puscas and get Sarr, and another quick striker who can play inside or wide and another midfielder; we’d have done some very good business too; from an incredibly difficult position.

Well done the Club management team and well done to Incey; he is building something good.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2022 19:43

Not sure I’ve seen a shot hit sweeter than Fornah’s today. Absolutely caught it

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Aug 2022 19:52

This wasn’t the front foot performance v Blackburn as we dropped really deep in the final thirty but a great and gritty win. Bouzanis reminded me of Feds.

Bouzanis 7 Brilliant punch clear in first half, made his saves but kicking a bit wayward
Yids 8 Got forward to good effect and Long should have scored from his pull back. Also involved in build up to goal
Hoilett 6 Got fouled a lot but worked hard. Didn’t too much going forward
Holmes 8 Terrific performance. Rock solid
Hutchinson 7 Excellent positioning. Really solid
TMac 7 Pushed forward to good effect and solid in defence
Loum 6 Lost possession quite a bit but better in the second half
Fornah 8 MoTM fabulous first half and the strike was superb. Not as good in the second half but still decent
Hendrick 6 Didn’t do too much wrong but he is a bit slow to react at times
Ince 7 Worked incredibly hard. Set pieces poor at times
Long 5 Should have scored from Yids pull back. Struggled today

Joao 5 Lost every header and ineffective
Clarke 7 Really like this lad. Great run forward and won the foul. Important block too.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 20 Aug 2022 20:05

Snowflake Royal The proverbial game of two halves. Excellent to see the team grinding out a tricky win despite not the best performance. Especially keeping a clean sheet after being under pressure for so long.

We need to play better than that though. We can't afford to give up any pretence at competing beyond defending our 18 yard or even just 6 yard line for what amounts to almost an entire half. And I think we should be pressing higher than we did first half too.

Ince also needs to go to his bench more. I know he doesn’t have much experience. But Abrefa, Camara and Ehibhatiomhan will certainly give you energy and we lacked that all over the pitch. Joao was the obvious sub, but only if we're going to compete across the pitch and keep the ball. He's just not going to chase and harry constantly. If we're conceding two thirds of the pitch, don't bring him on.

Bouzanis - one very good save, but kicking was poor and he managed to combine staying home and flapping at set plays and crosses. If Lumley has more Rotherham performances, he's certainly not the answer based on that one showing.
Yiadom - didn’t really get involved going forward any more than as a RCB, but he was playing RWB.
Hoilett - got kicked all game long, did fairly well moved to the left, but thought we missed NGW. Still don't like the 5 at the back. It's only worked that one game against Blackburn when we weren't really playing it.
Holmes - He's looking good this season. Mopped up a lot
McIntyre - decent game, but surprisingly easy to beat on set plays
Hutchinson - hope the injury isn’t bad. Reads the game quite well and happy to take one for the team and play the cyncial fouls.
Loum - seemed to struggle with a muscle tweak and wasn’t quite on the same pace of the game
Fornah - belter of a goal and some really nice feet and strength but like much of the midfield went missing and couldn’t hold the ball second half
Hendrick - ok, some more Drinkwateresque poor passing, worked hard but also largely missing second half all three must push at least ten yards up.
Ince - this guy's fitness is insane. Ran his absolute bollocks off. Hardest working player on the pitch
Long - didn’t win a lot, what he did win didn't really go anywhere, couldn’t make his breaks tell. Not his day

Joao - cut a lonely and dispirited figure. Got not help and asked to do something he's just not suited to. One beautiful pass that oh so nearly put Ince in.
Clarke - tenacious performance, one superb block, competed well. Promise this one, but not a WB.

A couple of overhit kicks but overall Bouzanis kickouts were decent enough. Agree he was less assured at coming for crosses and corners than Lumley. As a number 2 though he was absolutely fine, no worries.
Holmes was good, and benefitted immensely from Huchinson being back there as well - but he seems to do so much 'defending' by wrapping arms around the forward and hanging on - I feel he's a penalty waiting to happen and we'd be screaming blue murder if one of ours was being manhandled like that all the time. Makes me so nervous!
Hendrick - he was much better than on Wednesday, and very few wayward passes that i remember. Certainly seemed to be more up to the speed of the game (although that may well be because Boro were at times absolutely glacial!!)

Ince my man of the match, and thought Fornah also excellent.

Overall, there was so much grit and determination on show, it feels like a better win than Wednesday night. They've earned their week off.

106 posts