236 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a)

by Stranded » 27 Aug 2022 20:35

Sutekh
Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal Shows how much money we've wasted the last ten years, when you can build a squad capable of competing on a shoestring.

This 100%, it was Luton last season, got to the play offs on a shoe string budget and Preston have pretty much been consistent over the years, and even though its been forced onto us by our past mistakes its now hopefully our turn to shine.
I love this "Reading Way" and as Ince says "This Is Us" :D

Lets’s not get carried away with anything just yet, a hell of a long way to go yet and the next 2 away games are probably the most difficult a team in the Championship could have currently. However do think letting Mark Bowen run the football side of things and letting the manager get on and manage the players he and his team want is definitely the way to go.

Also, perhaps the club should ask the FL if the can remain under an embargo continually :wink:

I would argue that a run of Millwall, Sheff Utd and Watford away, is as tough a run of 3 away games you could ask for, so to have those out of the way by game 9 is a plus. I would have taken 3 points from them, so to have those banked already means we can go into them without fear, today has shown Watford are beatable at home.

As Ince says, let's get up to 40 points and see what the date is ( we know we need 50), this is all a fantastic bonus.

Rotherham may end up being the best thing that could have happened.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Aug 2022 20:51

paultheroyal Got to get behind the boys today. Actually gutted I am in top tier than bottom. Imagine if we get the win tomorrow, sit in top 2 averaging 2 points a game. Confidence that will give the team and how it will piss off the rest of the league.

Come on boys, let’s do this!

Paultheroyal rallying cry on Tuesday incoming!!

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 27 Aug 2022 21:09

Surprised the “aficionados” on here have not related the cost of the team this season with that of 2005.

OK. Very, very early days this season but uncanny, if a very different set of circumstances, the similarities (at least in cost). Can someone list/post the equivalent fees (loans)

Just proves the point and value of investing in the hungry (etc) rather than the overpaid, over fancied, over priced mercenaries we have favoured in previous years.

WNG

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Aug 2022 21:20

grey_squirrel Surprised the “aficionados” on here have not related the cost of the team this season with that of 2005.

OK. Very, very early days this season but uncanny, if a very different set of circumstances, the similarities (at least in cost). Can someone list/post the equivalent fees (loans)

Just proves the point and value of investing in the hungry (etc) rather than the overpaid, over fancied, over priced mercenaries we have favoured in previous years.

WNG

You'd have to adjust for inflation, but from memory from 2005/6:

Hahnemann - £0
Murty ~ £600k
Shorey ~ £60k
Ingimarsson ~ £150k
Sonko - £0?
Harper ~£400k
Sidwell ~£600k
Little ~£0?
Convey ~£800k
Lita ~£1m
Kitson ~£150k

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Aug 2022 21:23

And maybe just maybe (and I have been saying it) Laurent and Rhinomota not very good perhaps?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Aug 2022 23:18

I`ve been waiting years for Reading to have a team that bullies other teams rather than the other way round, lets upset the home fans , fuck em, if that`s what it takes I`m all for it.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 28 Aug 2022 06:27

I just hope that we can go through the rest of the season where all the sides we play have their worst ever game against us. A TEAM to be proud of at last.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Aug 2022 07:50

blythspartan I just hope that we can go through the rest of the season where all the sides we play have their worst ever game against us. A TEAM to be proud of at last.

On a shoestring

We could be on the eve of something spectacular

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Aug 2022 07:54

Franchise FC
blythspartan I just hope that we can go through the rest of the season where all the sides we play have their worst ever game against us. A TEAM to be proud of at last.

On a shoestring

We could be on the eve of something spectacular

Ince and Bowen dream of having a shoestring…..
Incredibly impressive the team they have assembled under the restrictions we are under.
Proper football management.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 28 Aug 2022 08:27

Scutterbucketz I’ve put £20 on a win at 4-1. Had Reading to win last week, but ruined the bet by also having Everton to beat Forest. Not going to spoil it today.

0-2 Reading if I had to guess the score.

Cheers Scutts I followed you on this. Couldn’t listen to the 7 mins injury time!
I’ve just reinvested a small portion on the Sheff Utd game at 5/1. I’m not at all confident that we will repeat the feat but I think the bookies have priced it wrong (again).

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Aug 2022 09:37

ayjaydee
Scutterbucketz I’ve put £20 on a win at 4-1. Had Reading to win last week, but ruined the bet by also having Everton to beat Forest. Not going to spoil it today.

Cheers Scutts I followed you on this. Couldn’t listen to the 7 mins injury time!
I’ve just reinvested a small portion on the Sheff Utd game at 5/1. I’m not at all confident that we will repeat the feat but I think the bookies have priced it wrong (again).

Are we still favourites to go down ?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Aug 2022 09:45

Franchise FC
ayjaydee

Are we still favourites to go down ?

Nope.

Birmingham 4/6
Rotherham 9/4
Wigan 11/4
Huddersfield 10/3
Reading 4/1
Blackpool 4/1
Bristol City 4/1

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Aug 2022 11:46

paultheroyal And maybe just maybe (and I have been saying it) Laurent and Rhinomota not very good perhaps?

They were good the season before last. Was anyone good last season? Sometimes good players just perform badly.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Aug 2022 12:09

Snowflake Royal
grey_squirrel Surprised the “aficionados” on here have not related the cost of the team this season with that of 2005.

WNG

Hahnemann - £0
Murty ~ £600k
Shorey ~ £60k
Ingimarsson ~ £150k
Sonko - £0?
Harper ~£400k
Sidwell ~£600k
Little ~£0?
Convey ~£800k
Lita ~£1m
Kitson ~£150k

Pretty much correct, think Shorey was 25k though. Murty at the time was an equal club record at £700k. Sidwell was undisclosed so no clue how accurate £600k is.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2022 12:11

NewCorkSeth
paultheroyal And maybe just maybe (and I have been saying it) Laurent and Rhinomota not very good perhaps?

They were good the season before last. Was anyone good last season? Sometimes good players just perform badly.

Rino played less than half the games and when he came back from injury some of the first comments were how obviously we'd missed him.

I stand by Laurent as an excellent player too.

The coaching and set up was the problem. Along with Drinkwater being a walking counterattack and TDB being misused too deep.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Aug 2022 12:22

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal

WNG

Hahnemann - £0
Murty ~ £600k
Shorey ~ £60k
Ingimarsson ~ £150k
Sonko - £0?
Harper ~£400k
Sidwell ~£600k
Little ~£0?
Convey ~£800k
Lita ~£1m
Kitson ~£150k

Pretty much correct, think Shorey was 25k though. Murty at the time was an equal club record at £700k. Sidwell was undisclosed so no clue how accurate £600k is.

Doyle cost about 80k as well
Our current team cost a fair bit more (taking into account the two players we paid a fee for !)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Aug 2022 12:45

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Aug 2022 12:51

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Rino played less than half the games and when he came back from injury some of the first comments were how obviously we'd missed him.

I stand by Laurent as an excellent player too.

The coaching and set up was the problem. Along with Drinkwater being a walking counterattack and TDB being misused too deep.

Be interesting to see how they get on with their new clubs. Certainly don’t think either were bad players and agree the set up under Pauno was rotten and didn’t get the best out of them

On the other hand think the fanbase over rated them both, esp Rino. Laurent would have fitted well into this team - pace and power and Ince and co may have curbed his Ill discipline positionally and tendency to lose the ball

Rino just isn’t enough of anything for me. Do wonder how hard we tried to keep him, he wouldn’t get into the current side. Too small to be an enforcer, not a great passer, not a creator and wasn’t a great defensive shield either.

Swift going potentially a blessing in disguise. Quality player but much prefer the hard running of Ince, and aren’t giving up a lot on set pieces with him taking over either. Actually working out well

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Aug 2022 13:09

Very, very impressed with the interview with Gary Rowett

He was disappointed, obviously, and confused about the reasoning behind the disallowed goal, but simply accepted that it was offside and that his team weren’t good enough to break us down.

Refreshingly honest

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2022 13:57

windermereROYAL

:lol:

Applies to us Hull amd Rotherham!

236 posts