Division one things to forward to……..

483 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Division one things to forward to……..

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 May 2023 13:59

South Coast Royal As with most things in life these days people just have to put a positive spin on things and a good example has been in this thread.
The way I see it is if you want to go to little grounds for the experience then follow a non-league club.

I'm with Jacksons Corner here in that I don't want to watch crap football at crap grounds-if it is going to be crap football I would sooner go to Southampton, Leeds and Everton than to Fleetwood, Oxford, Stevenage and Port Vale.

Perhaps we are in the minority of having been there , done that and I am glad that, at least on here, some people are actually looking forward to life in the 3rd division.

I'll just say my prayers for a miracle at Huddersfield so that I can watch Southampton, Leeds and/or Everton next season rather than feel the loyalty that might well make me head off to Plymouth, Exeter, Oxford and Portsmouth.

If only the Mad Man hadn't been conned into believing in dirty Russian money-typical oxf*rd Tory.

I agree with this. I want to see the club at the best possible level. I don't think the fans of clubs like Brighton, Brentford or Fulham were saying the best football they've seen was in the bottom 2 divisions because that's where they used to win more games.

Of course, these are successful clubs, whereas we haven't been. Perhaps we do need to take a step backwards to go forwards and it's been touched on that teams have done well when going down the divisions. Well, the aforementioned Fulham and Brighton were Championship strugglers in the last 10 years, they didn't go down and look at them now.

Whatever division we play in, our success will come through managing our finances correctly and developing players through the academy. The style of football doesn't concern me, we can play in whatever way we want providing it wins games.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2023 14:17

YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal As with most things in life these days people just have to put a positive spin on things and a good example has been in this thread.
The way I see it is if you want to go to little grounds for the experience then follow a non-league club.

I'm with Jacksons Corner here in that I don't want to watch crap football at crap grounds-if it is going to be crap football I would sooner go to Southampton, Leeds and Everton than to Fleetwood, Oxford, Stevenage and Port Vale.

Perhaps we are in the minority of having been there , done that and I am glad that, at least on here, some people are actually looking forward to life in the 3rd division.

I'll just say my prayers for a miracle at Huddersfield so that I can watch Southampton, Leeds and/or Everton next season rather than feel the loyalty that might well make me head off to Plymouth, Exeter, Oxford and Portsmouth.

If only the Mad Man hadn't been conned into believing in dirty Russian money-typical oxf*rd Tory.

I agree with this. I want to see the club at the best possible level. I don't think the fans of clubs like Brighton, Brentford or Fulham were saying the best football they've seen was in the bottom 2 divisions because that's where they used to win more games.

Of course, these are successful clubs, whereas we haven't been. Perhaps we do need to take a step backwards to go forwards and it's been touched on that teams have done well when going down the divisions. Well, the aforementioned Fulham and Brighton were Championship strugglers in the last 10 years, they didn't go down and look at them now.

Whatever division we play in, our success will come through managing our finances correctly and developing players through the academy. The style of football doesn't concern me, we can play in whatever way we want providing it wins games.

Big difference with Fulham and Brighton is they had 2 and 1 poor season respectively in the Championship - which were blips - whereas since relegation we've had 9 seasons and finished 14th or lower in 6 of them - of the "successful" seasons, one of those was the first after relegation and was probably a failure and the other 7th placed was definitely a failure after the way the side started.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 May 2023 14:19

Stranded

Get the point but maybe it's just me but I want to watch my club not fussed about the opposition - naturally want us to be at the highest level we can be at and if next year that is the 3rd tier, so be it. You won't be heading off to Plymouth anyway if we go down so a bonus for you :-) but we will have games at least 2 of Weds, Derby and Bolton as well as meeting Portsmouth, so not too long ago we were playing in the PL.

As for watching crap football, feel like I've been doing that for most of the last decade, so the standard in L1 doesn't phase me and who knows, it may even end up being a step up on what we have been given to watch of late.

"Not fussed about the opposition".
That is where I perhaps differ from you and a number of other posters.

I go to a game just as much to watch the opposition as to watch us.
Obviously I want us to win games but I enjoy watching other teams' players such as when Brentford played us some years ago a young ginger-haired midfielder stood out for me and I was delighted when not so long after we signed him and he turned out even better than expected.

What surprises me with many football fans is that they don't even notice who is playing for the opposition and are totally blinkered ( perhaps because many of them are pissed as part of the "matchday experience") about anybody but their own players.

Each to their own.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2023 14:34

South Coast Royal
Stranded

Get the point but maybe it's just me but I want to watch my club not fussed about the opposition - naturally want us to be at the highest level we can be at and if next year that is the 3rd tier, so be it. You won't be heading off to Plymouth anyway if we go down so a bonus for you :-) but we will have games at least 2 of Weds, Derby and Bolton as well as meeting Portsmouth, so not too long ago we were playing in the PL.

As for watching crap football, feel like I've been doing that for most of the last decade, so the standard in L1 doesn't phase me and who knows, it may even end up being a step up on what we have been given to watch of late.

"Not fussed about the opposition".
That is where I perhaps differ from you and a number of other posters.

I go to a game just as much to watch the opposition as to watch us.
Obviously I want us to win games but I enjoy watching other teams' players such as when Brentford played us some years ago a young ginger-haired midfielder stood out for me and I was delighted when not so long after we signed him and he turned out even better than expected.

What surprises me with many football fans is that they don't even notice who is playing for the opposition and are totally blinkered ( perhaps because many of them are pissed as part of the "matchday experience") about anybody but their own players.

Each to their own.

What I meant was, I don't care if the team is called Fleetwood or Everton - there is plenty to enjoy from watching both, for example, famously Fleetwood, when lower than they had now had a striker called Jamie Vardy and we played a certain ginger-haired midfielder at the same level we may be about to return to.

So I am looking forward to see what gems we come up against, gems that we may actually stand a chance of signing rather than bigger names at clubs who are failing, at a level we have stuggled at for most of the last decade - but I would want us to stay up if I could choose.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 02 May 2023 14:38

Administration and starting again from the Southern League

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 02 May 2023 15:01

Not sure If this has already been covered so apologies if it has

There is no FFP in Div 1 but there is SMCP. Its has a regulation that states you cant spend more than 60 per cent of your income on wages. With a drop in income of around 6m from TV rights our overall Income will drop substantially. However, owners can put in extra funds and count that as Income (However the Football League use a is broader definition of Turnover. Crucially, the FL Turnover figure includes donations from the owners to the club and injections of equity).

It does therefore seem to allow rich owners to provide funds to make decent signings, always with the proviso I guess, that should we get promoted we would then be facing FFP again!

If Mr Dai does want to spend then it could be an interesting season

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 02 May 2023 15:31

It's interesting that the EFL tried to bring in a £2.5m wage cap in 2020. It got thrown out by the courts, but sort of tells you what sort of level teams are operating at. According to an article, Football Manager has Wednesday with a wage budget of about £9m this season - with the promoted clubs of Ipswich and Plymouth between £6-£7m.

I'm not a fan of clubs using their owners money to out compete everyone else. But, if we're talking about positives of relegation then this could potentially be one.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 May 2023 17:09

Elm Park Kid It's interesting that the EFL tried to bring in a £2.5m wage cap in 2020. It got thrown out by the courts, but sort of tells you what sort of level teams are operating at. According to an article, Football Manager has Wednesday with a wage budget of about £9m this season - with the promoted clubs of Ipswich and Plymouth between £6-£7m.

I'm not a fan of clubs using their owners money to out compete everyone else. But, if we're talking about positives of relegation then this could potentially be one.

This, we should make the most of it but ensuring we hire the right players with a point to prove rather than the has beens and rejects from elsewhere

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 May 2023 17:14

I would expect us to sell quite a lot of grounds out next season (if they're on a Saturday) like:

Poxford
Wycombe
Exeter
Northampton
Stevenage
Leyton Orient
Portsmouth
Cheltenham
Bristol Rovers
Lincoln

Whilst taking 2k to the likes of Charlton, MK Dons (if they survive)

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 02 May 2023 18:13

paddy20 Not sure If this has already been covered so apologies if it has

There is no FFP in Div 1 but there is SMCP. Its has a regulation that states you cant spend more than 60 per cent of your income on wages. With a drop in income of around 6m from TV rights our overall Income will drop substantially. However, owners can put in extra funds and count that as Income (However the Football League use a is broader definition of Turnover. Crucially, the FL Turnover figure includes donations from the owners to the club and injections of equity).

It does therefore seem to allow rich owners to provide funds to make decent signings, always with the proviso I guess, that should we get promoted we would then be facing FFP again!

75 per cent in the first season after relegation I read somewhere.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 02 May 2023 18:26

72 bus

What happens if a club, due to contracts, can't get below that limit?

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 02 May 2023 18:48

Elm Park Kid

ANNOUNCE MESSI

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 02 May 2023 19:51

tmesis
72 bus

What happens if a club, due to contracts, can't get below that limit?

Transfer embargo as they don't dock points in L1

elrey

by elrey » 03 May 2023 05:14

South Coast Royal
elrey

Sounds like you're supporting the wrong club already. I've lived in countries full of glory supporters, China is one such, I doubt most people know my city has two teams in the top two divisions, one owned by Man City, they all wear European shirts, saw a Saka shirt yesterday, Real Madrid have loads of shirts. Even in Spain, so many people who live in "proper" Spain support Real or Barca. When I lived there people I knew would celebrate Real winning, and pretend they didn't care when they lost.

Not much sense of achievement there.

Thanks for the lecture but I am hardly a glory hunter-just bemoaning the twist of fate that meant me growing up in a particular town saddling me with a specific team for life and after following us through some thick but mainly thin for nearly 70 years would prefer not to be in the 3rd or 4th divisions again.

I reckon that I have been to nearly 2000 Reading games ( plus around 100 Liverpool games) and is it so bad to want to watch us playing at one of the better levels and watching better players from both sides.?

If you want to watch top class football, go be a glory supporter, it's easy. If you want to follow a club through thick and thin, then support someone else.

Choices, choices.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 May 2023 07:28

Current known constitution for Division Three (League One) in season 2023-24

1. Blackpool
  2. Bristol Rovers
  3. Burton Albion
  4. Charlton Athletic
  5. Cheltenham Town
  6. Exeter City
  7. Fleetwood Town
  8. Leyton Orient
  9. Lincoln City
  10. Port Vale
  11. Portsmouth
  12. Shrewsbury Town
  13. Stevenage
  14. Wigan Athletic
  15. Wycombe Wanderers

That’s currently only 15 clubs. The remaining 9 teams will come from the clubs below….

Division Two (Championship)

One of the following
  1. Huddersfield Town
  2. Reading

Division Three (League One)

Six of the following
  1. Accrington Stanley (relegation almost certain)
  2. Barnsley (play offs assured)
  3. Bolton Wanderers (play offs assured)
  4. Cambridge United (relegation contender)
  5. Derby County (play offs contender)
  6. Milton Keynes Dons (relegation contender)
  7. Morecambe (relegation contender)
  8. Oxford United (relegation contender)
  9. Peterborough United (play offs contender)
  10. Sheffield Wednesday (play offs assured)

Division Four (League Two)

Two of the following

1. Bradford City (play offs contender)
  2. Carlisle United (play offs contender)
  3. Mansfield Town (play offs contender)
  4. Northampton Town (play offs assured)
  5. Salford City (play offs contender)
  6. Stockport County (play offs assured)

Remaining league fixtures for the “to be decided” teams above:

Wednesday 3 May

Division 3/League 1
Burton Albion v Cambridge United

Division 4/League 2
Crewe Alexandra v Bradford City

Thursday 4 May

Division 2/Championship
Huddersfield Town v Sheffield United

Sunday 7 May (12pm kick offs)

Division 3/League 1
Barnsley v Peterborough United
Bristol Rovers v Bolton Wanderers
Burton Albion v Milton Keynes Dons
Cambridge United v Forest Green Rovers
Exeter City v Morecambe
Oxford United v Accrington Stanley
Sheffield Wednesday v Derby County

Monday 8 May

Division 2/Championship (3pm kick off)
Huddersfield Town v Reading

Division 4/League 2 (12.30pm kick offs)

Bradford City v Leyton Orient
Colchester United v Mansfield Town
Salford City v Gillingham
Stockport County v Hartlepool United
Sutton United v Carlisle United
Tranmere Rovers v Northampton Town

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 03 May 2023 08:46

Away to Stockport

Christ Alive that is depressing

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 May 2023 09:28

Very, we lost 5-1 at their place last time we were there

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 May 2023 10:16

Loafer Away to Stockport

Night out in Manchester and Stockport is a pretty decent place these days.

under the tin

by under the tin » 03 May 2023 10:49

"Well, the aforementioned Fulham and Brighton were Championship strugglers in the last 10 years, they didn't go down and look at them now."
Brighton's current success *might* have something to do with the sheer amount of money thrown at the club.
Might be as much as a decade ago, but I seem to remember their owner had, by then, chucked 1/4 of a billion quid at them.
God only knows how much more since then.
Reading have been running a nickel and dime store by comparison.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 03 May 2023 10:53

Loafer Away to Stockport

Rude.

483 posts