MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (a)

268 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (a)

by Sutekh » 19 Apr 2023 22:13

When : Saturday 22 April 2021, 3pm
Where : Coventry Building Society Arena, Phoenix Way, Rowleys Green, Coventry, CV6 6GE
Capacity : 32,753

Noel’s first foray away from the Mad Stad sees him lead the club into the midlands for the last of the season’s games against sides looking to be in the playoffs, so yet another fixture against this type club after the previous 3 games.

Coventry are really good this season, they were even the better side when Reading somehow managed to better them at home. Their form is one defeat in 14, though that defeat was at home to Stoke.

Playing threats to nullify are simply Gyokeres and Hamer though if they’re missing for any reason then Matt Godden and Jamie Allen are more than capable of filling in so this is going to be very much a case of battening down the hatches and trying to keep things tight. So hopefully Hunt and Niedzwiecki can come up with an effective plan.

Kasey Palmer, Fabio Tavares, Callum O’Hare and Liam Kelly are all injured for the sky blues while Reading may have Meite available but have lost Andy Carroll.

The only good thing about this is that QPR are playing away at Burnley which hopefully will help give some solace to Reading given their utterly appalling away record of 1 draw and 8 defeats from the last 9. And surely Reading are long overdue some good luck as they’ve had more than their share of being cr@pped on this season!

Referee

Matthew Donohue

Previously

10 Dec 22 > Reading 1-0 Coventry City
14 Sep 22 > Reading 0-3 Sunderland
30 Apr 22 > Reading 0-1 West Bromwich Albion
16 Feb 22 > Peterborough United 0-0 Reading
07 Aug 21 > Stoke City 3-2 Reading
26 Dec 20 > Reading 2-1 Luton Town
12 Feb 20 > Reading 1-2 West Bromwich Albion
11 Dec 19 > Barnsley 1-1 Reading
21 Sep 19 > Reading 1-2 Blackburn Rovers
10 Aug 19 > Hull City 1-0 Reading

Historically

26 seasons shared with Coventry since first crossing swords in the league back on Christmas Day in 1931.

The 26 league visits to play away against the Sky Blues has seen 4 wins, 9 draws and 13 defeats so not exactly brilliant and given the difference between the two teams this season this season hard to see there being any improvement on that whatsoever.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (a)

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2023 12:10

Both sides have drawn 5 of their last 8 games.

So draw.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Apr 2023 12:32

Stranded Both sides have drawn 5 of their last 8 games.

So draw.

Would be a good result, especially if Burnley do what they're supposed to and beat QPR, would take us out of the relegation zone ahead of the Wigan game.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Apr 2023 13:54

tidus_mi2

So draw.

Would be a good result, especially if Burnley do what they're supposed to and beat QPR, would take us out of the relegation zone ahead of the Wigan game.

And then if we can beat Wigan and QPR lose again, we should be just about ok. That sounds far too good to be true for us though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2023 14:17

YorkshireRoyal99
tidus_mi2

So draw.

And then if we can beat Wigan and QPR lose again, we should be just about ok. That sounds far too good to be true for us though.

If we take 4 from the next 2 and QPR 0, then we are safe except for a 14 or 15 goal swing.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Apr 2023 14:55

Last 5 away games, Reading statistics:

Avg. Possession = 37.40%
Total Shots = 34 (approx 6 to 7 shots a game)
Total Shots On Target = 8 (approx 23.5% of all shots taken by Reading were on target)
Total Corners = 18

Imagine some similar return at Coventry.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Apr 2023 15:14

Sutekh Last 5 away games, Reading statistics:

Avg. Possession = 37.40%
Total Shots = 34 (approx 6 to 7 shots a game)
Total Shots On Target = 8 (approx 23.5% of all shots taken by Reading were on target)
Total Corners = 18

Imagine some similar return at Coventry.

That was Inceball though.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 20 Apr 2023 17:56

I think we need to change it up a bit against Coventry. Our midfield is just getting totally overrun atm and i think we need to change to just the one up top as Kelvin.E is struggling a bit during games and Carroll is now out for the next two.
Maybe a 4-2-3-1 would work as this would give us five midfielders in there of which two would be deeper lying to protect the back four, and the three attacking midfields plus Fornah is no left midfielder so lets get him back in the middle.
I would also give Hendrick a break as he really offers nothing to the team and know is the time for everyone to stand up and be counted!!

So this for me:

Lumley

Yids Holmes Sarr NGW

Loum Casadei/Hendrick

Camara Fornah Azeez

Joao

Loum and Casedei are both big strong guys and can protect the back four and Camara, Fornah and Azeez are all pacey, mobile attacking style players who could cause a problem for Coventry's back line.
Its a bit of a gamble, but we're getting down to the wire and need to get above QPR somehow!!
Its either this or we go back to a back 5 and try for a point!! However, if memory serves I'm pretty sure Coventry are a quick skillful team on their day and i really would want to try and hold on for a point. Lets just fight fire with fire and give it a go.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Apr 2023 19:05

Crowbar6753 I think we need to change it up a bit against Coventry. Our midfield is just getting totally overrun atm and i think we need to change to just the one up top as Kelvin.E is struggling a bit during games and Carroll is now out for the next two.
Maybe a 4-2-3-1 would work as this would give us five midfielders in there of which two would be deeper lying to protect the back four, and the three attacking midfields plus Fornah is no left midfielder so lets get him back in the middle.
I would also give Hendrick a break as he really offers nothing to the team and know is the time for everyone to stand up and be counted!!

So this for me:

Lumley

Yids Holmes Sarr NGW

Loum Casadei/Hendrick

Camara Fornah Azeez

Joao

Loum and Casedei are both big strong guys and can protect the back four and Camara, Fornah and Azeez are all pacey, mobile attacking style players who could cause a problem for Coventry's back line.
Its a bit of a gamble, but we're getting down to the wire and need to get above QPR somehow!!
Its either this or we go back to a back 5 and try for a point!! However, if memory serves I'm pretty sure Coventry are a quick skillful team on their day and i really would want to try and hold on for a point. Lets just fight fire with fire and give it a go.

Is Carroll defs out for 2 games? I thought the extra game only applied if straight reds, both were 2x yellows.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 20 Apr 2023 19:26

Mid Sussex Royal Is Carroll defs out for 2 games? I thought the extra game only applied if straight reds, both were 2x yellows.

Confirmed as 2 match ban -

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-go ... b=10583109

PARTICIPANT DESCRIPTION SUSPENSION TYPE START END GAMES MATCHES LEFT
Andrew Carroll Second Caution - Law 12 S7 FA First Team 19.04.2023 29.04.2023 2

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Apr 2023 16:24

Meite, and no one else for that matter, will be back tomorrow according to Noel.

There's a chance of 1 or 2 will be back for Wigan, assuming Meite is one as he's close, hopefully TInce is the other.

On the flip side Sheaf is out additionally for Coventry (injured at Blackburn) meaning their entire first team midfield is out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Apr 2023 16:28

Mid Sussex Royal Meite, and no one else for that matter, will be back tomorrow according to Noel.

There's a chance of 1 or 2 will be back for Wigan, assuming Meite is one as he's close, hopefully TInce is the other.

On the flip side Sheaf is out additionally for Coventry (injured at Blackburn) meaning their entire first team midfield is out.

Useful! Hope it reduces the service to Gyokeres!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Apr 2023 16:48

Think I’d try a good old fashioned 4-4-2

Lummers
Yidders, Sarr, Mbengue, Obi
Azeez, Hendrick, Fornah, Camara
Ehib, Joao

Subs

CBC
Loum
Holmes
Abrefa
Casadei
Craig
Scott

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Apr 2023 16:48

If Coventry had a reasonably fit squad throughout the season I think they'd comfortably finish in the play offs. Players like O'Hare being out for the long-term and players like Sheaf missing make a big difference for them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Apr 2023 17:28

Be the same team as the Burnley game I imagine. No obvious need to changes a lot

Maybe Loum to freshen things up a bit

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 21 Apr 2023 20:25

Hound Be the same team as the Burnley game I imagine. No obvious need to changes a lot

Maybe Loum to freshen things up a bit

I'd say the same - perhaps playing Camara or Abrefa instead of Fornah would be something to consider though, as Fornah does look lost playing out wide.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 21 Apr 2023 20:37

I hope Coventry bang us 5-0 but ONLY for my SoRare team purposes

I want gyokeres 3 goals and hamer 3 assists and 100 points each

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Apr 2023 09:02

Loafer I hope Coventry bang us 5-0 but ONLY for my SoRare team purposes

:D

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Apr 2023 09:09

Loafer I hope Coventry bang us 5-0 but ONLY for my SoRare team purposes

God you are a tedious cunt

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Apr 2023 11:53

Sutekh Think I’d try a good old fashioned 4-4-2

Lummers
Yidders, Sarr, Mbengue, Obi
Azeez, Hendrick, Fornah, Camara
Ehib, Joao

Subs

CBC
Loum
Holmes
Abrefa
Casadei
Craig
Scott

No Holmes after what I thought was a MOM performance v Luton?

268 posts