Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

2555 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by Stranded » 02 Feb 2024 08:34

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
skipper What is the current figure of our debt, and how did we arrive at it?

May well be reading it wrong but in the last accounts (up to JUne 22) - net liabilities were GBP 62.858m. The club had just over GBP 1m in the bank.

Around the time those accounts came out Kieran Maguire tweeted our total losses (not the same thing as debt, but the only other thing I can find) was £191m. Over what period, not sure.

191m are the gross losses up to 30th June last year - correct.

The 62.8m is the net so the 191.5m total losses less 117m in Share Capital and 11.5m in Share Premium Account - not going to pretend I know what that last term means.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2024 08:42

So Dai is making a minimum loss on sale (should that actually happen) of about £160m, but probably closer to £175m.

What a great business man.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Feb 2024 08:49

Snowflake Royal So Dai is making a minimum loss on sale (should that actually happen) of about £160m, but probably closer to £175m.

Well those figures are nearly 18months old, so could be higher than that but that is probably the bare minimum he'll have to write off, if he does choose to sell the club.

Interesting* that the weekly meeting that was meant to happen between STAR and Howe yesterday regarding updates on the sale process has been postponed to "early next week".

You can look at that one of 2 ways - there is absolutely nothing to update and he is trying to push it out in the hope something changes or there is an expectation that a bid will be accepted shortly and the delay is to allow him to make that clear. Probably the former.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 02 Feb 2024 08:50

Snowflake Royal So Dai is making a minimum loss on sale (should that actually happen) of about £160m, but probably closer to £175m.

Still a better investment than his Evergrande shares

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 02 Feb 2024 08:59

How does a relatovely average club like Reading end up with debts so high?

Like... even duong the terrible period of sig inf average players for 7 mil, and paying silly wages, durely that couldn't add up to nearly 200 million??

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Feb 2024 09:02

skipper How does a relatovely average club like Reading end up with debts so high?

Like... even duong the terrible period of sig inf average players for 7 mil, and paying silly wages, durely that couldn't add up to nearly 200 million??

I have been asking myself the same question as well, we've spent some daft money on players and wages, but to wrack up that amount in terms of losses over 6/7 years just seems ridiculous.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 02 Feb 2024 09:10

YorkshireRoyal99
skipper How does a relatovely average club like Reading end up with debts so high?

I have been asking myself the same question as well, we've spent some daft money on players and wages, but to wrack up that amount in terms of losses over 6/7 years just seems ridiculous.

easy, the training ground and Liam Moore. I'm being facetious with Moore of course, just placating Ian. but the training ground did cost over 50 mill

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2024 09:39

YorkshireRoyal99

Our income has been between £12m and £16m during Dai's tenure, which is about the same as our non-wage costs. Then wages that are basically all loss of £41m, £37m, £33m, £27m, £22m, £16m... something like that anyway.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Feb 2024 09:41

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Our income has been between £12m and £16m during Dai's tenure, which is about the same as our non-wage costs. Then wages that are basically all loss of £41m, £37m, £33m, £27m, £22m, £16m... something like that anyway.

Yep, it's basically all wage related (bar the training ground) - wages covered by "loans" from Dai, which turns into debt. When wages were running at over 200% of income, the level of debt can and does climb massively because not only are we using twice our income to pay players, we still have to pay all the other bills (or Dai did). All goes on the debt pile.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2024 09:55

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Yep, it's basically all wage related (bar the training ground) - wages covered by "loans" from Dai, which turns into debt. When wages were running at over 200% of income, the level of debt can and does climb massively because not only are we using twice our income to pay players, we still have to pay all the other bills (or Dai did). All goes on the debt pile.

This is the sort of thing the FL should be cracking down on at the time it happens. If a club is racking up debts to its owners and/or directors the FL should immediately sanction and embargo that club pending a review of its accounts. Not wait for a 3 year rolling period to complete so everything gets more expensive, muddier and even more complicated to sort out and the club concerned gets time to find and exploit any financial loopholes that the FL may not have closed off.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 02 Feb 2024 10:07

As I've posted before, when Rick Parry was before the Commons committee, he said the EFL's preference was to move to a squad-cost ratio (I think he said the costs of the squad should be pegged at a maximum of 70% of turnover), instead of the current system, so that the EFL could intervene pretty much immediately (by not registering a player who would push a club over the threshold) rather than waiting to sanction a club for a decision made three years earlier. All of this is part of the on-going negotiations with the PL, though.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 02 Feb 2024 10:16

rabidbee As I've posted before, when Rick Parry was before the Commons committee, he said the EFL's preference was to move to a squad-cost ratio (I think he said the costs of the squad should be pegged at a maximum of 70% of turnover), instead of the current system, so that the EFL could intervene pretty much immediately (by not registering a player who would push a club over the threshold) rather than waiting to sanction a club for a decision made three years earlier. All of this is part of the on-going negotiations with the PL, though.

And I doubt PL clubs would manage this requirement based on the current losses of many PL clubs

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 02 Feb 2024 10:19

He discussed it in detail at the hearing, if you want to look back at the video. IIRC, the teams involved in Europe may already be aiming for this level, because of UEFA rules. His other point, besides reforming FFP, was that the parachute clubs have a massive advantage over everyone else. Think the PL wanted a higher squad-ratio for those clubs than for everyone else.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2024 12:07

rabidbee He discussed it in detail at the hearing, if you want to look back at the video. IIRC, the teams involved in Europe may already be aiming for this level, because of UEFA rules. His other point, besides reforming FFP, was that the parachute clubs have a massive advantage over everyone else. Think the PL wanted a higher squad-ratio for those clubs than for everyone else.

As part of any changes ALL clubs should be forced to put clauses into ALL their player contracts so that relegation means non-negotiable % wage reductions as well as any associated bonus payments being removed or significantly reduced. Likewise clubs would also include % wage increases etc. should a club be promoted.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Feb 2024 13:34

relating to the accounts ending in June 2022 so we've had a further 18 months of losses racking up but summarises the broad position. If you look at how much Renhe Sports Management owes Great Shine, it was at £220m at that point in time. Hence figures of £250m now being banded around. That figure will, most likely, include his original outlay to buy the club (which I think was about £25m).

As already noted over £50m spent on the training ground.

https://star-reading.org/wp-content/upl ... counts.pdf

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 02 Feb 2024 13:37

rabidbee As I've posted before, when Rick Parry was before the Commons committee, he said the EFL's preference was to move to a squad-cost ratio (I think he said the costs of the squad should be pegged at a maximum of 70% of turnover), instead of the current system, so that the EFL could intervene pretty much immediately (by not registering a player who would push a club over the threshold) rather than waiting to sanction a club for a decision made three years earlier. All of this is part of the on-going negotiations with the PL, though.

Isn't that what is already in place in L1 and L2? It's only the Championship that has the £39m loss over 3 years....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Feb 2024 14:00

Including all his businesses - understand his core business in China was massively hit by Covid, wonder how much the clown has lost in the last 5 years. Pretty special effort whatever it is

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2024 14:16

Sutekh
Stranded
Snowflake Royal Our income has been between £12m and £16m during Dai's tenure, which is about the same as our non-wage costs. Then wages that are basically all loss of £41m, £37m, £33m, £27m, £22m, £16m... something like that anyway.

This is the sort of thing the FL should be cracking down on at the time it happens. If a club is racking up debts to its owners and/or directors the FL should immediately sanction and embargo that club pending a review of its accounts. Not wait for a 3 year rolling period to complete so everything gets more expensive, muddier and even more complicated to sort out and the club concerned gets time to find and exploit any financial loopholes that the FL may not have closed off.
a majority of the FL clubs run by those owners would have to agree to that.

Seems unlikely.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2024 14:19

Hound Including all his businesses - understand his core business in China was massively hit by Covid, wonder how much the clown has lost in the last 5 years. Pretty special effort whatever it is

I suspect, at best, he's worth half the £950m he was when he bought us.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Feb 2024 14:27

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Stranded

a majority of the FL clubs run by those owners would have to agree to that.

Seems unlikely.

Yeah that won't happen because as far as the owners' are concerned, they are no worse off, they've still got the money.

2555 posts