Selles In

590 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Selles In

by Stranded » 21 Feb 2024 11:57

In a table based on results after the Shrewsbury debacle, we would now be 4th.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 21 Feb 2024 12:09

Credit where credit is due.

After the debacle of the earlier part of the season, I felt he should be got rid off and maybe bring in Noel Hunt to manage the team.

Hwever, he has learnt how to get the best out of his squad and - importantly - has got a positive mental attitude into the players.

To me, he has used the off-field clusterf*ck to galvanise and unite the players and we are now seeing the results.

Fair play to the guy; notwithstanding those who seem incapable of understanding how what happens off-field can negatively impact players on the pitch and who have a self entitled belief that we should be in an automatic promotion spot, what Selles has done to this side since Christmas has been remarkable.

IF....IF......we can get new owners and stability to the football club before the start of next season, it could be the most exciting in the clubs recent post- Premier League past.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 21 Feb 2024 12:37

Mr Angry Credit where credit is due.

After the debacle of the earlier part of the season, I felt he should be got rid off and maybe bring in Noel Hunt to manage the team.

Hwever, he has learnt how to get the best out of his squad and - importantly - has got a positive mental attitude into the players.

To me, he has used the off-field clusterf*ck to galvanise and unite the players and we are now seeing the results.

Fair play to the guy; notwithstanding those who seem incapable of understanding how what happens off-field can negatively impact players on the pitch and who have a self entitled belief that we should be in an automatic promotion spot, what Selles has done to this side since Christmas has been remarkable.

IF....IF......we can get new owners and stability to the football club before the start of next season, it could be the most exciting in the clubs recent post- Premier League past.

With regards to next season, It must be nailed on that Azeez leaves on a free to a Championship club. So we will have to replace our most creative and dangerous outlet just to keep standing still. Which is a bit of a problem.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Feb 2024 12:50

Greatwesternline

With regards to next season, It must be nailed on that Azeez leaves on a free to a Championship club. So we will have to replace our most creative and dangerous outlet just to keep standing still. Which is a bit of a problem.

Not necessarily. He's had an inconsistent career and would probably start on the bench at a Championship club. May be better to stay in a team where he's performing with a manager who trusts him. But that obviously all depends on the takeover and whether he thinks the club can match his ambitions. The conversation isn't worth having if Dai doesn't sell.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Feb 2024 13:36

If for instance a champ club came in for him - say a Millwall (though think Harris is going back there), do you think he’d stay here?

Would like to think so but wouldn’t blame him at all if he didn’t

Do find it fairly interesting that Selles now clearly has a favoured side; even to the point that we’re making a lot less subs now. It really was throw everything and everyone at the team to see what sticks early season. Basically only two slots up for grabs at the moment and that is Craig/Savage and Kelvin/Mukairo

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Feb 2024 13:46

Wasn't it the summer of 2022 we looked at Massimo Luongo? We didn't reach an arrangement, he ended up at Ipswich later that season who were then a L1 club. Now he's in a race for promotion to the premier league.

A L1 club travelling in the right direction is as good as, if not better than, a lower Championship club who are circling the plug hole. The challenge is whether we can convince anyone that we're going in the right direction.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Feb 2024 13:47

WestYorksRoyal Wasn't it the summer of 2022 we looked at Massimo Luongo? We didn't reach an arrangement, he ended up at Ipswich later that season who were then a L1 club. Now he's in a race for promotion to the premier league.

A L1 club travelling in the right direction is as good as, if not better than, a lower Championship club who are circling the plug hole. The challenge is whether we can convince anyone that we're going in the right direction.

It was this season.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Feb 2024 13:54

Hound If for instance a champ club came in for him - say a Millwall (though think Harris is going back there), do you think he’d stay here?

Do find it fairly interesting that Selles now clearly has a favoured side; even to the point that we’re making a lot less subs now. It really was throw everything and everyone at the team to see what sticks early season. Basically only two slots up for grabs at the moment and that is Craig/Savage and Kelvin/Mukairo

Based on your above comments do you think Mola has improved? He’s grown on me recently and I think he deserves a place in the team.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 21 Feb 2024 13:57

WestYorksRoyal Wasn't it the summer of 2022 we looked at Massimo Luongo? We didn't reach an arrangement, he ended up at Ipswich later that season who were then a L1 club. Now he's in a race for promotion to the premier league.

Azeez is 22, so realistically has 7 big seasons left in him. It'd be brave to gamble one of those on another year in League 1, rather than take a gig in the Championship, show he can do it at that level and maybe engineer a move to a Championship club that gets promoted that season.

That'd be my game plan if i was trying to get to the PL within my half a dozen years of career left.

Money is also a factor. £25k in Championship plus a signing on fee versus £15k tops in League 1 is going to be tough to turn down.

Fair play to him if he stays is all I say.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Feb 2024 13:58

blythspartan
Hound If for instance a champ club came in for him - say a Millwall (though think Harris is going back there), do you think he’d stay here?

Based on your above comments do you think Mola has improved? He’s grown on me recently and I think he deserves a place in the team.

I think he has improved, first touch is still lacking, but if/when he gets it under control he looks decent enough and seems more solid defending generally.

Got a decent amount of pace as well.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Feb 2024 14:03

Greatwesternline

Azeez is 22, so realistically has 7 big seasons left in him. It'd be brave to gamble one of those on another year in League 1, rather than take a gig in the Championship, show he can do it at that level and maybe engineer a move to a Championship club that gets promoted that season.

That'd be my game plan if i was trying to get to the PL within my half a dozen years of career left.

Money is also a factor. £25k in Championship plus a signing on fee versus £15k tops in League 1 is going to be tough to turn down.

Any lower Championship side offering him £25k is on a road to serious trouble. Similarly, no way we can offer £15k.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Feb 2024 15:27

WestYorksRoyal
Greatwesternline

Any lower Championship side offering him £25k is on a road to serious trouble. Similarly, no way we can offer £15k.

Wasn’t there a spurious Liverpool rumour a season or two ago. Wonder who started that

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Feb 2024 16:27

WestYorksRoyal
Greatwesternline

Not necessarily. He's had an inconsistent career and would probably start on the bench at a Championship club. May be better to stay in a team where he's performing with a manager who trusts him. But that obviously all depends on the takeover and whether he thinks the club can match his ambitions. The conversation isn't worth having if Dai doesn't sell.

IMO we've definitely lost him if Dai doesn't sell, Desperately hope that a sale goes through, we can make him a decent offer and he decides it's better to stick with the devil he knows (maybe his brother's experiences will influence that). I think Selles staying as manager would also be critical, after all the faith he has displayed in Femi, which seems to have created a really strong bond between them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2024 17:32

blythspartan

He's absolutely improved. But that's partly been down to his defending of crosses from our right side. He seems excellent defending the back post in the air.

Going forward he's still limited and a bit unreliable, same defending against pace and skill down his flank.

He's no longer a calamity, but I still wouldn't see him as a long term first choice option in all honesty. I think he's still one of the weaker links.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2024 17:35

RoyalBlue
WestYorksRoyal
Greatwesternline

IMO we've definitely lost him if Dai doesn't sell, Desperately hope that a sale goes through, we can make him a decent offer and he decides it's better to stick with the devil he knows (maybe his brother's experiences will influence that). I think Selles staying as manager would also be critical, after all the faith he has displayed in Femi, which seems to have created a really strong bond between them.

We've lost the club if Dai doesn't sell.

His first touch is still pretty iffy. He's certainly not walking into a Championshio team. But on a free as a cheap punt on reasonable wages, he's worth a punt at £8k - £10k.

GWL is out of his mind thinking he'd get £25k in the Championship or £15k in L1.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Feb 2024 19:35

blythspartan

Yes I do but I didn’t think he was that terrible to start with. Got put on in some tough situations, had a bad game then everyone decided he was useless. Was at the Charlton cup game and he had an excellent second half so knew there was something there

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Feb 2024 19:36

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
WestYorksRoyal Not necessarily. He's had an inconsistent career and would probably start on the bench at a Championship club. May be better to stay in a team where he's performing with a manager who trusts him. But that obviously all depends on the takeover and whether he thinks the club can match his ambitions. The conversation isn't worth having if Dai doesn't sell.

His first touch is still pretty iffy. He's certainly not walking into a Championshio team. But on a free as a cheap punt on reasonable wages, he's worth a punt at £8k - £10k.

GWL is out of his mind thinking he'd get £25k in the Championship or £15k in L1.

Keep seeing him going on a free but we’d get compensation wouldn’t we? Admittedly not loads but not a free

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2024 21:43

Hound
Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

Keep seeing him going on a free but we’d get compensation wouldn’t we? Admittedly not loads but not a free

Yeah, by free I'm meaning outside our control and no agreed transfer fee, just compo.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 21 Feb 2024 21:51

Selles has done an absolutely superb job, in incredibly tough circumstances. I'd be tempted to suggest that other, more experienced managers we were linked with before the start of the season, would've jumped ship long ago.

Ruben just gets on with his job, doesn't really criticise refs or moan about the sort of things others do, and that attitude has filtered down to the players.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Feb 2024 09:40

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
WestYorksRoyal Not necessarily. He's had an inconsistent career and would probably start on the bench at a Championship club. May be better to stay in a team where he's performing with a manager who trusts him. But that obviously all depends on the takeover and whether he thinks the club can match his ambitions. The conversation isn't worth having if Dai doesn't sell.

It was a rhetorical flourish. Jeez. Replace the numbers with 5k in League 1 and 15k in Championship and its the same point. What matters is the delta between the two numbers, not the numbers themselves. Obviously.

590 posts