TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

3413 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Mar 2024 10:09

I'm also bemused as to how Wycombe could make it work financially, it's worth 3 times as much as the club. Given the limitations on use. I wonder if they planned to rent it out as event space in the summer.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Mar 2024 10:20

From Despair To Where? I'm also bemused as to how Wycombe could make it work financially, it's worth 3 times as much as the club. Given the limitations on use. I wonder if they planned to rent it out as event space in the summer.

By not paying for it?

The current owners or this Georgian bloke would buy it and own it via a separate entity - Wycombe would then have got use of the facility at zero or very low rent - likely backed up by a very long term contract. Running costs likely would have been met by the entity that owned it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Mar 2024 10:33

What's in it for him, though. As a gateway into club ownership at Wycombe maybe but I don't really see how it makes any financial sense with the planning limitations in place.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 25 Mar 2024 11:03

From Despair To Where? What's in it for him, though.

You could say that for anyone buying anything to do with a lower league football team. Maybe he's totally delusional and sees it as a good investment to be able to entice better players to Wycombe as he leads them on a march to the Premier League where he'll keep them for decades and decades.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Mar 2024 11:11

Right, I've been away for a few days and haven't been following anything to do with Reading.

Can someone summarise the current st8 of affairs for me please?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Mar 2024 11:16

genome Right, I've been away for a few days and haven't been following anything to do with Reading.

We were meant to be announcing exclusivity last week then it all went quiet and nothing happened. A few articles suggest it will be this week but the silence continues.

No reputable rumours that Dai is fcuking everything up - to the contrary, James Earnshaw and John Percy suggesting things are still moving. But we've all been here before and are fearing the worst.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Mar 2024 11:35

genome Right, I've been away for a few days and haven't been following anything to do with Reading.

Nothing has changed.

No exclusivity deal.
Same positive noises with zero back up.
Same worry we're slipping into oblivion
Same complete inability to trust Dai will fund the club or sell the club.
Training ground sale on hold.
Should find out today or tomorrow if we've paid HMRC this time.
Then either end of this week or early next to find out if we've paid the players and staff.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Mar 2024 11:36

Thanks both!

No news is good news. Or bad news.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Mar 2024 11:36

genome Thanks both!

No news is good news. Or bad news.

Definitely bad news.

The clock is ticking.

I think we've got about 5 weeks left for exclusivity to be signed before it's too late to save us and so pointless.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 25 Mar 2024 12:35

Some self-proclaimed ITK people said something was going to happen, which then didn't happen.

Folk on here are now waiting for the next thing the self-proclaimed ITK people are going to say will happen, so we can all get excited about it

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Mar 2024 14:05

Winston Biscuit

Some self-proclaimed ITK people said something was going to happen, which then didn't happen.

Folk on here are now waiting for the next thing the self-proclaimed ITK people are going to say will happen, so we can all get excited about it

Perhaps if we don't all get excited about the next one they say will happen it might actually happen :?

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 25 Mar 2024 14:28

From Despair To Where? I'm also bemused as to how Wycombe could make it work financially, it's worth 3 times as much as the club. Given the limitations on use. I wonder if they planned to rent it out as event space in the summer.

Certainly under UEFA FFP rules money spent on infrastructure, youth development or training facilities is excluded from the calculation. Not sure if this is how EVL work it

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Mar 2024 14:48

TommyF

Certainly under UEFA FFP rules money spent on infrastructure, youth development or training facilities is excluded from the calculation. Not sure if this is how EVL work it

Not even talking about FFP, whether it's owned by the club or a benefactor, I don't see the logic behind buying a £24m state of the art training facility for a club that averages less than 6,000 in attendances. Someone is going to have to maintain the shortfall which is why I think they had one eye on alternative uses and revenue streams which have been scuppered by the planning limitations.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Mar 2024 14:50

From Despair To Where?
TommyF

Not even talking about FFP, whether it's owned by the club or a benefactor, I don't see the logic behind buying a £24m state of the art training facility for a club that averages less than 6,000 in attendances. Someone is going to have to maintain the shortfall which is why I think they had one eye on alternative uses and revenue streams which have been scuppered by the planning limitations.

You make a reasonable argument but it's just speculation isn't it. Who knows what went on there.

Maybe we all will one day.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Mar 2024 14:53

I suspect the Wycombe owner is like the sterotypical women shopper...... Spends £22m on something you don't need and announces they've saved £28m because it was in the sale, then never uses it and ends up giving it to the charity shop a year later.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 25 Mar 2024 15:02

This is my thinking - or even carve up the facilities and have half of the site dedicated to commercial activities, or available for exclusive hire to other elite teams on ad hoc basis (as somebody else suggested before). I'd have thought that that would have been harder to get passed a planning committee - it's definitely going to change the character of the site for neighbours, especially if it was constantly busy, or some events were noisy, or if he needed to build new facilities to enable commercial activities.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Mar 2024 15:03

Oh,I know it's all speculation but it's never made sense that it's Wycombe or a benefactor of them, the scale is all wrong.

If it had been Fulham or even Brentford, you'd think it kind of makes sense.

Also, if I was Couhig, I'd never have acknowledged that protests had any impact on the decision to pull out. Makes him look weak.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Mar 2024 15:07

Forbury Lion I suspect the Wycombe owner is like the sterotypical women shopper...... Spends £22m on something you don't need and announces they've saved £28m because it was in the sale, then never uses it and ends up giving it to the charity shop a year later.

I'd liken it to blowing your inheritance on a Ferrari, only to find it costs £20k for an annual service.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Mar 2024 15:08

rabidbee

This is my thinking - or even carve up the facilities and have half of the site dedicated to commercial activities, or available for exclusive hire to other elite teams on ad hoc basis (as somebody else suggested before). I'd have thought that that would have been harder to get passed a planning committee - it's definitely going to change the character of the site for neighbours, especially if it was constantly busy, or some events were noisy, or if he needed to build new facilities to enable commercial activities.

We do already rent it out (or at least allow it to be used) by international sides/clubs playing in England - didn't New Zealand use it earlier in the season. This is as an adhoc thing though, may be different if it was part of any wider business plan.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Mar 2024 15:10

Greatwesternline Thing i dont understand about the failed Bearwood sale takes on here is, the planning permission said it was for the personal use of RFC.

Ok, so all you have to do if you want to buy the training ground is ask the owner of the training ground to apply for a variation of that planning permission to say:

For the uses of RFC and Wycombe Wanderers.

Then crack on with the sale.

Varying the planning permission isn't going to be a massive hurdle, the Reading Chronicle article on it literally quotes a WBC councillor saying, we would have approved it, we wouldn't have a reason for planning purposes to reject it.

I think the sale fell through more because of the wider reaction to the move personally.

Technically every time the Academy plays there another team are also using it . I think the planning permission thing as far as Wycombe are concerned is a bit of a red herring tbh.

3413 posts