MATCHWATCH : Cheltenham Town (a)

235 posts
yuomi

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cheltenham Town (a)

by yuomi » 30 Dec 2023 00:17

Still at a loss to explain how bad our defending can be and, given how long it's been and how obvious the issues are, how nothing successive coaching teams have tried has had the slightest positive effect.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Dec 2023 00:23

yuomi Still at a loss to explain how bad our defending can be and, given how long it's been and how obvious the issues are, how nothing successive coaching teams have tried has had the slightest positive effect.

Despite our overall better results I don't think our defence has improved really. Abbey and Bindon are raw. Dorsett looks ok but not confident in a LB role, Holmes is still iffy. I'd like an experienced CB who's better than Harlee Dean!

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 30 Dec 2023 00:29

I'll take the point. After some strong away performances, we got swamped there. Cheltenham pressed hard and kept the press up until they brought on the small striker.

1-0 was probably fair.
2-0 was a farce.

Then we discovered how to cross.

We had another spell in second half where we could have nicked it, but I will take a point.

We appear to have a bit of a breather coming up, so get something against Exeter, regroup and push to get out of the bottom four.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 30 Dec 2023 00:30

Bindon looked assured when he came on. Everyone else just a bit off pace/swamped by a harder working side.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2023 01:06

Royal_jimmy
yuomi Still at a loss to explain how bad our defending can be and, given how long it's been and how obvious the issues are, how nothing successive coaching teams have tried has had the slightest positive effect.

Despite our overall better results I don't think our defence has improved really. Abbey and Bindon are raw. Dorsett looks ok but not confident in a LB role, Holmes is still iffy. I'd like an experienced CB who's better than Harlee Dean!

The problem today was largely in our inability to compete in midfield. And Holmes was immense in defence.

Our midfield issues means the defence often get little to no screening, and everything is a scrabble. It's been much better with Craig in there, though not today. And even with our better results recently our passing and ball retention has been dreadful.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2023 08:13

Love that Wing cross for the second last night. He’s been proper good recently

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 30 Dec 2023 08:57

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy

The problem today was largely in our inability to compete in midfield. And Holmes was immense in defence.

Our midfield issues means the defence often get little to no screening, and everything is a scrabble. It's been much better with Craig in there, though not today. And even with our better results recently our passing and ball retention has been dreadful.

Agree the midfield went completely awol first half, forgot Craig was playing. Also thought Holmes was excellent. Full backs both hopeless, neither give me any confidence and just allow endless crosses. Tactics were also weird, just giving the ball away all the time by hoofing. All very strange and take a point all day long after that shit show.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 30 Dec 2023 09:28

I thought Cheltenham were a great example.of a team able to switch up their play.

One minute hoof ball, the next quick decisive passing.

They forced us into hoof ball, and stopped us from passing.

Despite being the same 11, this was a very different team applicstion to the Peterborough game.

We were 2nd to every ball. Didnt seem to ever have a player in space. No harrassing, speed or pressure at all.

Did we adopt different tactics? Were we tired?

Credit to Cheltenham. Simply a more cohesive team.

Look at the feedback from Peterborough's fans. We can do it, we just lack either fitness or consistent tactics.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 30 Dec 2023 09:34

Royal_jimmy

I thought Holmes was magnificent last night. He's getting back to his best, and reaching similar form to Aziz!

Our results have improved, moral overall has improved, if we can keep that trend up, 2nd half of season going into next is very positive!

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 30 Dec 2023 09:47

Bristol Paul
Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy

Agree the midfield went completely awol first half, forgot Craig was playing. Also thought Holmes was excellent. Full backs both hopeless, neither give me any confidence and just allow endless crosses. Tactics were also weird, just giving the ball away all the time by hoofing. All very strange and take a point all day long after that shit show.

I don’t think many midfields would have coped with Sercombe, Thompson and Pett last night. Tom Pett, in particular, was imperious. He absolutely ran the show from beginning to end. He was (unfathomably) available as a free agent and Darrell Clarke brought him in immediately when he was appointed. He’s up there with the best midfielders in L1 at the moment.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 30 Dec 2023 09:49

Cheltenham were very well organised as you might expect with a proven manager at this level. High line, sweeper keeper and every pass was a forward pass mainly into full back areas from where they won the second ball and put it into our box. Could easily have been 6-0 before we scored and credit to Button for a number of saves one of which was superb.
Selles reminded me of Stam when we got battered at Fulham a few years ago. Just stood and watched us get taken apart instead of making any tactical tweak. Just going with a higher back line and getting our two wide players more narrow in front of our full backs would have over crowded the middle of the pitch and messed the game up for 20 minutes while we found our feet.
The positive is that we found a way to get a point thanks to two superb crosses from Wing and we’ll also get to see Mbengue on next years hilarious own goals video !!
Lastly, I’m thoroughly enjoying league 1. Lots of action, errors (many of which are hilarious), application and goals.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Dec 2023 10:03

A shocking game of football with lots of ifs and maybes. I felt like it was Cheltenham’s cup final against their larger local rivals. Their midfield was very good and I loved being so close to the pitch in the away end. We got a point having played 44 minutes of shit football ( the worst I can remember), and I’ll take that all day long.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Dec 2023 10:48

I actually think Cheltenham were one of the better teams we faced this season. How many shit teams have we lost to this season, where we've gifted points? By contrast, they had a clear, effective gameplan which we struggled to cope with.

Much better than the likes of Shrewsbury, Orient and Exeter who have beaten us. Even Charlton were pretty average for most of the game when they beat us 4-0; I'd say Cheltenham were better.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Dec 2023 11:32

After a truly abysmal 40 odd minutes we showed really good character to take a point from the game being 2-0 down, credit to the players for that. It was always going to be a struggle against an improving side, so far from the worst result in the world considering where we were near half time.

1 defeat in 8 although we need to beat Exeter and start turning some of these draws into wins just to get amongst the group in mid-table.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2023 11:48

Jerry St Clair
Bristol Paul
Snowflake Royal The problem today was largely in our inability to compete in midfield. And Holmes was immense in defence.

I don’t think many midfields would have coped with Sercombe, Thompson and Pett last night. Tom Pett, in particular, was imperious. He absolutely ran the show from beginning to end. He was (unfathomably) available as a free agent and Darrell Clarke brought him in immediately when he was appointed. He’s up there with the best midfielders in L1 at the moment.

Yeah, Pett was superb.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2023 11:51

WestYorksRoyal I actually think Cheltenham were one of the better teams we faced this season. How many shit teams have we lost to this season, where we've gifted points? By contrast, they had a clear, effective gameplan which we struggled to cope with.

Much better than the likes of Shrewsbury, Orient and Exeter who have beaten us. Even Charlton were pretty average for most of the game when they beat us 4-0; I'd say Cheltenham were better.

Yes, they were excellent. But my god they were fragile at the back.

I could see other teams with some passing ability beating their press and getting joy galore against their defence.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Dec 2023 12:07

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal I actually think Cheltenham were one of the better teams we faced this season. How many shit teams have we lost to this season, where we've gifted points? By contrast, they had a clear, effective gameplan which we struggled to cope with.

Yes, they were excellent. But my god they were fragile at the back.

I could see other teams with some passing ability beating their press and getting joy galore against their defence.

A team like Charlton who can put in a mediocre performance and win will always finish above a team who perform well but throw away a 2 goal lead. This season is teaching me that actually performances are not everything. "Trust the process and results will follow". Bollocks. Take your chances and don't concede silly goals. Once you have that foundation then performances take you to the next level.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2023 12:13

Preach.

For all our up turn in form, I don’t think we're actually playing that well. We've just reduced the errors and started taking those individual chances.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 30 Dec 2023 12:16

OLLIE KEARNS Lastly, I’m thoroughly enjoying league 1. Lots of action, errors (many of which are hilarious), application and goals.

^^ This

Dai can still fcuk off though!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Dec 2023 12:31

We did ok in the end, but their prep on us was much better than us on them, but we worked it out in the second half and generally looked comfortable apart from one good Button save and a miss at the end.

Need to remember also that prior to Wycombe we had taken one point on the road all year and since then we have gone 4 undefeated, not sure when we last did that but I'd imagine it was during that freak run under Pauno during covid.

It is also difficult to play well every game when you have 4 games over 9 days.

235 posts