MATCHWATCH : Derby County (a)

203 posts
Armadillo Roadkill

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (a)

by Armadillo Roadkill » 13 Mar 2024 01:57

BFTG.

In all my years following Reading (24 and counting), I have never seen such a series of refereeing errors all against one team.

And it wasn’t just me…..Was listening to BBC Derbyshire on the drive out of the city.

Dwight Gayle said the other Derby players had told him he had handled it. He said he wasn't sure, then apologised for it.

Malcom Christie who was their pundit said it was handball, and never a red card for Yiadom..

Their manager said he thought their goal was offside, but hadn’t seen the red card (the Wenger managerial myopia in action).

I saw all three very clearly right in front of me. An outrageous dive, three players very clearly offside, and Pereira had the ball knocked out of his hands by Gayle’s hand. For the last one, difficult for the referee to see; the guidance is they have to be sure to give a penalty, so as well as an obvious error a clear breach of guidelines.

Expect to see him rested from officiating this weekend.

We were riding our luck at times, especially in the first half, and they dominated midfield, but without Mr Breakspear we may well have got something.

I don't think I've ever dropped the C bomb so many times in a month, let alone the duration of a game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Mar 2024 06:28

Of course it’s nothing like a penalty but being generous to the ref, seeing Gayle handball it might have been difficult. Though I’d have thought the first conclusion would have been Perreira got to the ball first which again wouldn’t have been a pen

Proper cheating from Gayle though - punch the ball and dive. On top of the cheating dive for the red card. Derby should be pretty embarrassed to win the game that way

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Mar 2024 07:04

Hound Of course it’s nothing like a penalty but being generous to the ref, seeing Gayle handball it might have been difficult. Though I’d have thought the first conclusion would have been Perreira got to the ball first which again wouldn’t have been a pen

Proper cheating from Gayle though - punch the ball and dive. On top of the cheating dive for the red card. Derby should be pretty embarrassed to win the game that way

THEY …. WON’T …. CARE

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Mar 2024 07:35

JR
NathStPaul
BarryWhiteRFC
Bit pointless to blame the reason we lost on the actual reason we lost? Is this guy for real?

It all evens itself out over the course of a season. There will be games that if you look back on, were decided by decisions that went for us.

The even itself out cliche is possibly the most annoying in football. It’s absolute nonsense and there is no statistical or rational basis for it.

If you support a club over a decade or two they even out. Over a season they most certainly do not. We're due about 5 years where everything goes our way. New owner needs to break the curse.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 13 Mar 2024 07:53

Armadillo Roadkill Expect to see him rested from officiating this weekend.

Extremely unlikely, that only happens to Premier League referees, whose mistakes are given high visibility. No-one cares at L1 level.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Mar 2024 08:04

Pepe the Horseman
Pepe the Horseman That is fcuking disgraceful https://twitter.com/jmac_urz/status/176 ... yrKDA&s=19 Gayle should get a 3 game ban for that

Here's the red. https://twitter.com/Callumc1871/status/ ... GyDWQ&s=19 dunno which is worse

That's flipping mental

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Mar 2024 08:16

It’s ok, because we’ll get a letter of apology and that will make it alright :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2024 08:17

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman Are you using a Nokia 5110?

No.

Have to agree with GWL that my first reaction is what the oxf*rd is Pereira doing racing out to the edge of his box to a striker running essentially away from goal, when he's never going to get to the ball.first cleanly.

And I have sympathy with a ref not seeing a handball there, if there is one, because it'll be obscured by Gayle and Pereira.

Are we watching two different videos? He would've caught it if Gayle hadn't pushed it out the way.

We must be because you've posted a not great quality still like it's a crystal clear 4k image of the hand of god.

Certainly clearer than the video that there may have been a handball, but I wouldn't say incontravertible. And the ref can still only give it if he can see it. And It still looks like madness of Pereira to come for that.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Mar 2024 08:39

Hound Of course it’s nothing like a penalty but being generous to the ref, seeing Gayle handball it might have been difficult. Though I’d have thought the first conclusion would have been Perreira got to the ball first which again wouldn’t have been a pen

How to turn a 1-0 midweek away win into a 2-1 defeat.

Definite handball by Gayle, even Ady called it!

Why is only the PL considered important enough to be wrecked by VAR when the lower divisions are much more in need of it given the awful refereeing standards that we've had to endure these last few seasons?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Mar 2024 08:43

Looked like handball immediately to me whilst watching & Gayle's OTT celebration backed that up. He knew he had been clever and got away with one.

The only defence you can give a ref is that the angle he had hid the handball & so he just saw a collision caused by an onrushing keeper. If so, he has to give it so whilst I feel a bit cheated, my ire is more at Gayle though the ref had a pretty poor night.

Question of offside for their first as well.

Ref bought the dive for the 2nd yellow and Yiadom should never have been on a card anyway.

However, in both cases a Reading player probably made a poor decision to find themselves in a situation where a poor decision could be made by the ref.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Mar 2024 08:44

Sutekh

Why is only the PL considered important enough to be wrecked by VAR when the lower divisions are much more in need of it given the awful refereeing standards that we've had to endure these last few seasons?

Because it costs too much to run in lower divisions & imagine some grounds don't have the right infrastructure to put it in place properly.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Mar 2024 08:59

Sutekh

Cool. So who is funding VAR in League 1 and 2? You?

Football is a game of swings and roundabouts, you win some and you lose some. You have good days and you have bad days which is why we all love it. Sometimes you just have to take your medicine, suck it up and move on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Mar 2024 09:04

Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal No.

Have to agree with GWL that my first reaction is what the oxf*rd is Pereira doing racing out to the edge of his box to a striker running essentially away from goal, when he's never going to get to the ball.first cleanly.

And I have sympathy with a ref not seeing a handball there, if there is one, because it'll be obscured by Gayle and Pereira.

Are we watching two different videos? He would've caught it if Gayle hadn't pushed it out the way.

We must be because you've posted a not great quality still like it's a crystal clear 4k image of the hand of god.

Certainly clearer than the video that there may have been a handball, but I wouldn't say incontravertible. And the ref can still only give it if he can see it. And It still looks like madness of Pereira to come for that.

The angle the ball went off at, it looked very much like Pereira got to the ball first. In which case it wasn’t a pen. I struggle to see how it was given to be honest, how the ref thought Gayle got there legally to divert the ball that way. Anything else and it’s not a pen. No real excuse tbh, it’s a shit decision

Don’t especially blame Pereira, if Gayle hadn’t cheated he’d have made a good claim off a dangerous ball

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 13 Mar 2024 09:04

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman Are you using a Nokia 5110?

No.

And given the ref is not stood in the stands by the camera how is he going to see that?

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 13 Mar 2024 09:08

If you dont want to concede penalties, you don't rush out of your box and bundle into a player, knowing that will mean the ref will have to make a decision based on what he has seen.

Every single comment along the lines of "it was crystal clear" is because you are watching on a TV with the best vantage point. A ref is standing behing strikers as they run towards goal so wont be able to see what is happening in front of the players chest.

Its stupid keeping. No rush out, no pen.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Mar 2024 09:09

NathStPaul
Sutekh

Cool. So who is funding VAR in League 1 and 2? You?

Football is a game of swings and roundabouts, you win some and you lose some. You have good days and you have bad days which is why we all love it. Sometimes you just have to take your medicine, suck it up and move on.

Yes we love it because it gives us the chance to discuss at length things that are basically meaningless in ‘real’ life.

I’m sure the team itself had a good whinge in the changing rooms after but will be out of their heads by the next training session

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Mar 2024 09:10

Stranded However, in both cases a Reading player probably made a poor decision to find themselves in a situation where a poor decision could be made by the ref.

How is Yids not tripping Gayle a poor decision?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Mar 2024 09:12

Silver Fox
Stranded However, in both cases a Reading player probably made a poor decision to find themselves in a situation where a poor decision could be made by the ref.

And if Gayle doesn't punch the ball, Pereira has done a good job cutting out a dangerous ball over the top.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Mar 2024 09:16

WestYorksRoyal
Silver Fox

And if Gayle doesn't punch the ball, Pereira has done a good job cutting out a dangerous ball over the top.

Yeah exactly that.

Keepers have to make these decisions and he actually timed it right. If he’d stood on his line, Gayle collects the ball and slots home, it’d be ‘why didn’t Periera come for that’?

I’d far rather he be proactive and use his whole box than sit on his line

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Mar 2024 09:17

Will it be a 2 game ban for Yiadom? As he got that stupid red off the bench at Northampton? Makes it even more costly. Is Abrefa ready?

203 posts