Who do we want to play next season?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Who do we want to play next season?

by Clyde1998 » 29 Mar 2024 19:23

With us increasingly looking like we'll be in League One next season :? , who do we want to play next season out of those who could be relegated and promoted into League One?

On the flip side, who do we want to be promoted and relegated from League One?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Who do we want to play next season?

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Mar 2024 19:30

Considering 2 weeks ago we weren't sure if we'd be playing anywhere next season, I don't really care.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 29 Mar 2024 19:41

I’d like Cheltenham to stay up, because perhaps I could make that match next season. Obviously Oxford to stay down, and maybe Birmingham to come down, as I might be able to wangle an away match out of a trip to see the brother-in-law.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Mar 2024 19:48

Pretty much anyone coming down could be fairly strong to mid-table.

Anyone coming up is probably not that strong, except maybe moneybags Wrexham.

Cheltenham or Cambridge surviving are likely to struggle again. Vale and Burton might not.

As FDTW says, to be honest, just be happy to have a next season. And the ups and downs don’t make much difference. Aim should still be top half minimum.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Mar 2024 19:51

I'd like to see hollywood fc stay down though that's sadly looking unlikely now

Jinx

by Jinx » 29 Mar 2024 22:42

Man City will walk League 1 next season - they will win 45 out of 46, and hang on for a 3-3 draw at the SCL.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Mar 2024 23:38

On one hand I'd like my local team, AFC Wimbledon, to go up. On the other I wouldn't because it would make the station hell on matchdays if they drew one of the big boys (which remarkably includes us).

The automatic spots are probably between the top five, of whom only MK Dons are remotely easy to get to... but I REALLY don't want the Dons derby in League One. Though I'm not sure the crowds would actually be any bigger. If MK go up then Gillingham or Crawley (especially Crawley) would be fine as play-off winners. Wouldn't be opposed to Newport.

Harrogate has some real appeal despite being so far, would maybe look to make it a weekend break.

Portsmouth unfortunately look guaranteed to go up. Would rather Derby stay down than Bolton from a "where can I get to/who would be more valuable for the club" but would rather Bolton never get promoted again after Wembley.

Would hate to be a league below Oxford. Ideal playoff winners... probably Barnsley, or Blackpool if they sneak in.

Relegate Carlisle, Fleetwood, Port Vale, and Burton Albion - seems Shrewsbury are probably safe.

Guess Birmingham is the Championship side I'd be most likely to actually go to, QPR will still be inhumanely expensive.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 30 Mar 2024 00:13

Ooh, I hadn't noticed that Newport are an outside shout for promotion. Yes please!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Mar 2024 07:14

Barrow please.

Getting dangerously close to QPR surviving.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 30 Mar 2024 08:22

QPR sheff wed and Rotherham to come down as the former two as finically basket cases so shouldn’t cause us any bother as they will likely have to cut their cloth massively. Then we want the three biggest teams to go up so pompey Bolton and derby. Would make the division a lot easier next season. If we’ve sorted our shit out we might even make a promotion push next season

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 Mar 2024 09:17

Fake hoops will be fine unfortunately

I’d like Wednesday, Birmingham to come down

I’d like Derby and Bo,ton to go up

I’d like gillingham and barrow to come up

But as has. Been said if we have a season next season I’ll be happy and if DAI has gone too 8)

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 30 Mar 2024 11:14

I will wait for two things to happen, before I commit to an answer.

The EFL allows us to amass enough points to not be relegated,

The sale to be confirmed and Dai Yongge is a thing of the past.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 30 Mar 2024 12:38

rabidbee I’d like Cheltenham to stay up, because perhaps I could make that match next season. Obviously Oxford to stay down, and maybe Birmingham to come down, as I might be able to wangle an away match out of a trip to see the brother-in-law.

:coughs:

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 30 Mar 2024 18:52

stealthpapes
rabidbee I’d like Cheltenham to stay up, because perhaps I could make that match next season. Obviously Oxford to stay down, and maybe Birmingham to come down, as I might be able to wangle an away match out of a trip to see the brother-in-law.

:coughs:

<thumbs up icon>

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Mar 2024 19:06

Sutekh Barrow please.

Seen us play Barrow in the league in 1972.

All my family went as they were giving out vouchers at the turnstiles for the Arsenal cup game the following week.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 30 Mar 2024 20:37

Mid Sussex Royal
Sutekh Barrow please.

Seen us play Barrow in the league in 1972.

All my family went as they were giving out vouchers at the turnstiles for the Arsenal cup game the following week.

I was also at this game as a sprog and stood behind the town end goal. (Before segregation I think)

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 Mar 2024 21:45

Been in Canada for 16yrs now and before that i lived just outside of Harrogate for 8yrs and they were a Northern Premier league team back then getting 300 fans for a home game lol.
Harrogate is an amazing town and a great area to live but its not a footballing town, pretty much everyone supports Leeds!! however, there transformation over the years and the fact that they are even in the equation for a chance of promotion to League one is mind blowing.

Its a great little stadium 4500 capacity with seating for 800 away fans and your guaranteed great food and an amazing pint :D :D if you had told me 20yrs ago that Harrogate might be playing Reading in a league game you probably won yourself a free ticket to the mental asylum lol, but here we are.

So its Harrogate for me :D :D, interesting fact, Simon Weaver was their manager 16yrs ago when i came to Canada, and is still managing them today!!he is currently the longest serving manager in the whole of the football league!!

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Mar 2024 22:02

There's little quality in the teams that will be promoted from league 2 this season. Nothing to fear. Gulf/divide across the entire EFL has continued to widen. Wrexham lost £5 million getting promotion out of the National League last season. That includes the money generated from their FA Cup run. Likely to hit a brickwall if they do go up. Financially unsustainable way of achieving long term success.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Mar 2024 08:02

Crowbar6753 Been in Canada for 16yrs now and before that i lived just outside of Harrogate for 8yrs and they were a Northern Premier league team back then getting 300 fans for a home game lol.
Harrogate is an amazing town and a great area to live but its not a footballing town, pretty much everyone supports Leeds!! however, there transformation over the years and the fact that they are even in the equation for a chance of promotion to League one is mind blowing.

Its a great little stadium 4500 capacity with seating for 800 away fans and your guaranteed great food and an amazing pint :D :D if you had told me 20yrs ago that Harrogate might be playing Reading in a league game you probably won yourself a free ticket to the mental asylum lol, but here we are.

So its Harrogate for me :D :D, interesting fact, Simon Weaver was their manager 16yrs ago when i came to Canada, and is still managing them today!!he is currently the longest serving manager in the whole of the football league!!

Only because his dad owns the club though.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Mar 2024 08:56

At the moment I am just hoping that we can get something from our next 2 games. If we lose both it could be squeaky bum time.

I’d like to see one song, Derby and Bolton get promoted. It would be good to see Parky at the SCL next season, but until the takeover is done I can’t get too enthusiastic.