MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

130 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

by Hound » 13 Apr 2024 17:07

As said, Burton playing Cheltenham next so both can’t win all their games, so unless we get any deductions (which I believe the potential owners have taken care of) we’re safe

Well done Ruben and co. Lets finish the season strong

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Apr 2024 17:08

Sutekh FT 2-2.

With Port Vale and Cheltenham both losing that means Reading are now 10 (TEN) points clear of the bottom 4. Port Vale (21st) don't have enough games left to be able to reach 50 points and Cheltenham can only do so if they win all 4 games they have left but would have to make a good 20 goal or so swing in the process and hope Reading lose both their last games, therefore, effectively, they can't get above Reading either so I'd say Reading are now 100% safe unless Dai produces another piece of stupidity.

Burton have 3 games left and can get to 52 points so if they lose at home to Cheltenham on Tuesday then Reading will be mathematically safe rather than just "realistically" safe. A Burton win means Reading will need just 1 point from Burton or Blackpool to be mathematical.

I might be getting muddled but I thought we had another 2 points suspended to come off, which knowing Dai isn't unlikely is it?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Apr 2024 17:10

Sutekh FT 2-2.

With Port Vale and Cheltenham both losing that means Reading are now 10 (TEN) points clear of the bottom 4. Port Vale (21st) don't have enough games left to be able to reach 50 points and Cheltenham can only do so if they win all 4 games they have left but would have to make a good 20 goal or so swing in the process and hope Reading lose both their last games, therefore, effectively, they can't get above Reading either so I'd say Reading are now 100% safe unless Dai produces another piece of stupidity.

Burton have 3 games left and can get to 52 points so if they lose at home to Cheltenham on Tuesday then Reading will be mathematically safe rather than just "realistically" safe. A Burton win means Reading will need just 1 point from Burton or Blackpool to be mathematical.

We're safe already aren't we? If Burton beat or draw with Cheltenham they can't catch us. If Cheltenham win, Burton can't catch us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Apr 2024 17:11

Millsy
Sutekh FT 2-2.

I might be getting muddled but I thought we had another 2 points suspended to come off, which knowing Dai isn't unlikely is it?

Only if we make a late payment for something. There's basically max one bill left to pay before the end of the season and the prospective owners have put money into the club secured against Bearwood to pay the bills.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Apr 2024 17:12

Sutekh FT 2-2.

Burton have 3 games left and can get to 52 points so if they lose at home to Cheltenham on Tuesday then Reading will be mathematically safe rather than just "realistically" safe. A Burton win means Reading will need just 1 point from Burton to be mathematical.

If Burton win, Cheltenham can't catch us
If Cheltenham win, Burton can't catch us
If they draw, Cheltenham can't catch us.

We're mathematically safe

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Apr 2024 17:14

Pepe the Horseman
Sutekh FT 2-2.

We're safe already aren't we? If Burton beat or draw with Cheltenham they can't catch us. If Cheltenham win, Burton can't catch us.

Not mathematically, because Vale can still technically win their remaining 3 games with a swing of +29 GD to go above us.

Then it only needs one of Cheltenham or Burton to win all their remaining games (both can't as you point out because they play each other)

Unless the table I'm looking at hasnt updated our points. EDIT: Which the prick hasn't
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 13 Apr 2024 17:15, edited 2 times in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Apr 2024 17:15

Pepe the Horseman
Sutekh FT 2-2.

If Burton win they can still get above Reading but if they do that then Cheltenham can't get to 50 points so whatever happens on Tuesday Reading will be mathematically safe.

Therefore Reading are now mathematically safe from relegation this season.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Apr 2024 17:15

Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman
Sutekh FT 2-2.

Not mathematically, because Vale can still technically win their remaining 3 games with a swing of +29 GD to go above us.

Then it only needs one of Cheltenham or Burton to win all their remaining games (both can't as you point out because they play each other)

Unless the table I'm looking at hasnt updated our points.

Vale are 10pts behind with 3 to play.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Apr 2024 17:15

Vale lost, Ian

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 13 Apr 2024 17:16

I thought the suspended points deductions related to pitch invasions and abandonments?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Apr 2024 17:18

From Despair To Where? Vale lost, Ian

The problem was our points hadn't been updated in the table at the time, so I was still working to 49.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Apr 2024 17:19

East Grinstead Royal I thought the suspended points deductions related to pitch invasions and abandonments?

Yes there is that. Let’s not do that

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Apr 2024 17:19

East Grinstead Royal I thought the suspended points deductions related to pitch invasions and abandonments?

There is another one for that, but there is no way that is getting triggered.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 13 Apr 2024 17:19

Are we safe? Are we safe?

(with apologies to Jobi McAnuff ... how times change)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Apr 2024 17:19

Be nice to do PV a favour and beat Burton

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Apr 2024 17:22

If Carlisle win all their remaining games they can only get to 36 points so they are down and guaranteed to finish 24th
Fleetwood can get to 46 points if they win all their games.
Cheltenham can only get to 50 points
Port Vale can reach 49 points
Burton can get to 52 points but to do that they must beat Cheltenham, therefore Reading are now mathematically safe.

So Carlisle will be joined by any 3 from Fleetwood, Cheltenham, Vale, Burton, Cambridge and Shrewsbury.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Apr 2024 17:24

3pts gets triggered if we get another game abandoned.
2pts gets triggered if we are late with wage/tax payments again.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Apr 2024 17:27

tidus_mi2

Both were suspended for 12 months I believe so will have them hanging over the club until 2025.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Apr 2024 17:28

Sutekh
tidus_mi2

Both were suspended for 12 months I believe so will have them hanging over the club until 2025.

If either are triggered next season we've got bigger problems to worry about than that.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Apr 2024 17:29

Mid Sussex Royal
South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal For me:

Pereira
Abrefa, Mbengue, Bindon, Mola
Wing, Elliott
Azeez, Knibbs, Ehibhatiomhan
Smith

Button, Dorsett, Carson, Rushesha, Savage, Mukairu, Wareham

With Carson and/or Rushesha getting 20 minutes.

In fact this would be my next three teams.

Pereira
Yiadom, Bindon, Dorsett, Mola
Wing, Savage
Azeez, Elliott, Ehibhatiomhan
Smith

CBC, Mbengue, Carson, Rushesha, Knibbs, Wareham, Camara

Pereira
Yiadom, Mbengue, Bindon, Carson
Wing, Craig
Azeez, Knibbs, Camara
Ehibhatiomhan

Button, Dorsett, Mola, Senga, Wareham, Smith, Mukairu

Something like that anyway.

Agree with the middle team Ian as I would like to see Dorsett in what is supposed to be his best position.

One memory of Barnsley from the Elm Park days-we scored 6 in front of a watching Michael Parkinson who was embarrassed enough to suggest that the players ought to make a visit to a coal mine to see what real work was like. :D
A bit Barnstonworth United from Ripping Yarns fondly remembered by some of our older posters.

I think you may mean the 7-0 game which was our last match of the 1970's.

Allan Clarke was the Barnsley manager.

To be fair, Parky left at 6 :wink:

130 posts