The 24/25 Season of Optimism Thread

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

The 24/25 Season of Optimism Thread

by Elm Park Kid » 10 Apr 2024 10:28

Yeah, I'm tempting fate but I don't care:

• We've avoided relegation and will remain in League One.
  • New owners = No more financial dramas or point deductions (hopefully).
  • League One is frankly crap and every reason to believe we can compete next season if we strengthen a bit.
  • Ruben has proven himself, earned the respect of players and fans, and will go into next season with a lot of valuable experience.
  • If we can win promotion we'll have a full transfer window where we can actually buy players.

Say it quietly . . . Could next season actually be enjoyable???

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The 24/25 Season of Optimism Thread

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Apr 2024 10:33

Generally agree things are looking positive if the takeover happens, but posted this on the Rovers match thread about why I think 2026 may be a more realistic target for promotion.

If the takeover happens and we keep the bulk of this team plus the manager together next year, there's reasons to be optimistic. But could our situation this season have given us an extra edge we risk losing? It's been the team and the fans against the world, fighting for the club's survival.

It will need a different mindset where the expectation is top 6, and the future of the club isn't at stake.

Results also have different meanings. The draw at home on Saturday was a good point against an in form team in our situation, but if you're pushing at the top you have to win a home game where you dominate like we did. Similarly, Shrewsbury and Wycombe were annoyances but not a disaster; they would be seriously bad results in a play-off push.

So lots of reasons to be positive if everything gets sorted, but competing at the right end of the table will be another learning experience for this team and manager. That's why I think 2026 is a more realistic promotion target than 2025.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Apr 2024 10:38

Tbh bar that 2 points in 10 game run or whatever it was I’ve enjoyed this season on tbe pitch

I’d take much the same; add an extra 4 or 5 wins and no points deductions or panic sales and I think we’d be in quite a good place

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Apr 2024 10:42

Really need to keep this squad relatively untouched, it can only be a positive outcome.

But have to be cautious, the takeover isn`t over the line yet, I wouldn`t put anything past Dai at this point.

I agree though, the standard of most teams in this league has been piss poor, there`s nothing to stop us pushing for a play-off spot at least next season.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 Apr 2024 10:44

windermereROYAL Really need to keep this squad relatively untouched, it can only be a positive outcome.

But have to be cautious, the takeover isn`t over the line yet, I wouldn`t put anything past Dai at this point.

I agree though, the standard of most teams in this league has been piss poor, there`s nothing to stop us pushing for a play-off spot at least next season.

We are 17th. What does that make us?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Apr 2024 10:47

Hound Tbh bar that 2 points in 10 game run or whatever it was I’ve enjoyed this season on tbe pitch

I’d take much the same; add an extra 4 or 5 wins and no points deductions or panic sales and I think we’d be in quite a good place

Fair, but the off pitch situation has made it impossible to truly enjoy at times. The uncertainty that points deductions could relegate us, desperate player sales in January, the awful week with Bearwood where I and many others thought we were finished. Even now, the sale could fall through, Selles leaves, players are sold and we get relegated next season.

What I really look forward to (hopefully) is knowing I can enjoy supporting the team without reservations. Celebrate a win knowing the points won't be taken off us. Going into high stakes games where the result can't threaten the club's existence.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 10 Apr 2024 10:53

Did anyone else catch Dave Kitson on BBCRB last night. I only heard some of it and I doubt he’s actually ITK, but he seemed very dubious about the takeover and whether it’s going to happen. Like several others from the 106 squad, though, he seemed to have a genuine affection for the club.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Apr 2024 10:59

East Grinstead Royal Did anyone else catch Dave Kitson on BBCRB last night. I only heard some of it and I doubt he’s actually ITK, but he seemed very dubious about the takeover and whether it’s going to happen. Like several others from the 106 squad, though, he seemed to have a genuine affection for the club.

Seem to remember him opening his mouth a little while back too regarding the takeover, that turned out to be BS too.
He knows nothing.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Apr 2024 11:03

windermereROYAL
East Grinstead Royal Did anyone else catch Dave Kitson on BBCRB last night. I only heard some of it and I doubt he’s actually ITK, but he seemed very dubious about the takeover and whether it’s going to happen. Like several others from the 106 squad, though, he seemed to have a genuine affection for the club.

Seem to remember him opening his mouth a little while back too regarding the takeover, that turned out to be BS too.
He knows nothing.

General skepticism and distrust of Dai we all share, nothing more.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 10 Apr 2024 11:59

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL Really need to keep this squad relatively untouched, it can only be a positive outcome.

A club in turmoil, who would still sit mid-table if we hadn't had 6 points deducted. Anybody just looking at the table would shrug and suggest we're bang average. But anybody who's been following the season will know everything that has been going on off field, how poorly prepared we were for the season, and how the club as clicked and hit a pretty steady quality since November.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Apr 2024 12:04

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2024 12:52

Hound Tbh bar that 2 points in 10 game run or whatever it was I’ve enjoyed this season on tbe pitch

Yeah, the shit this season has been almost all owner driven.

The first month was good even if results were sparse. Then the next 6 weeks were awful on the pitch, but since then it's been a lot of fun.

Almost like mid table in L1 really woupd be better than fighting relegation in the Championship each season. :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2024 12:55

NathStPaul

On the pitch we're 12th. And we'd be higher than that if Selles had changed quicker.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Apr 2024 12:56

I do think we'd have a good shot at top 6 next season, this all hinges on the ownership situation being resolved but, frankly, if it does fall apart the worry would be what happens after that so I think I'd rather not countenance it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2024 12:57

windermereROYAL

He knows nothing.

It's opinion, not knowledge. He hates Dai. He doesn't trust Dai. He's seen Dai's lies before and won't believe the takeover goes through until it does.

He's on virtually the same page as any fan with sense, just skewed a little further from trusting optimism.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 Apr 2024 13:03

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul

On the pitch we're 12th. And we'd be higher than that if Selles had changed quicker.

Yes I agree. I just don't agree with the assessment that most of the teams are piss poor. The bottom 4 are but above that I think there is an interesting mix of long ball sides, footballing sides and shithouses who are all pretty decent in their own ways.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2024 13:10

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul We are 17th. What does that make us?

Yes I agree. I just don't agree with the assessment that most of the teams are piss poor. The bottom 4 are but above that I think there is an interesting mix of long ball sides, footballing sides and shithouses who are all pretty decent in their own ways.

There's almost no quality outside the top few.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 Apr 2024 16:00

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul

If we'd had the same level of points obtained pre-Shrewsbury as we did after it, that would've led to us getting roughly 68-72 points by the end of the season (including the points deductions) - not a million miles away from the play-offs (or possibly in it without any deductions).

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 Apr 2024 16:02

We're not having to rebuild the core of the team for next season (ie. Smith, Wing, Knibbs, Bindon, Mbengue, Yiadom, etc. are all under contract) - so it's possible (perhaps likely) we'll have a stronger squad with more depth next season.

I think it's unlikely we'll be promoted next season, but at this stage I'd hope we'll be competing for the play-offs at least. Even if we keep the exact same squad as we've had this season (probably just missing out on balance in that scenario).

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Apr 2024 16:12

Not sure if this question is right for the optimism thread
but I'd be curious to know what Nobbers think is needed
to make us a top six L1 side.

For one thing, I think we miss too many chances. Fixing that
the easy way (ie buy a great striker) is not that likely in the short term.

I guess we might get lucky with a youngster coming through,
but though we have some quality there do we have players
who are likely to be "prolific" and get 20-plus goals a season?

Weighed against this negative is the fact that the team is young
and players may well improve. Azeez and SpecialK are each
potential break-through stars (but both may go in the summer)...

I like Smith; he's a grafter, but for me he's the hard-working
support man not the game-changer. I know that Azeez, SpecialK
and (especially) Wing can score great goals, but we need (to challenge)
the CONSTANT pressure, as in when a 20-goal striker visits Reading
and, of course, gets the crucial goal... I'm thinking of the freak run
that Blackman had, or Kitson/Doyle, or the great pairing of Hunt
and Long when the pair averaged a goal a game.

I say this because, although I agree we are becoming a team
with character and heart, a team that has fightbackability, I'd
also say we are (or easily could become) a confidence team.

Yesterday, at times it was "the old days" a side KNOWING it
was good, playing with panache and energy.

This EXACT side, with a very good start to next season, could be
playing as it did first-half at Bristol, for MOST games. The extra
goals would carry the team on a wave of confidence.