Sign the Petition to save BBCRB Commentary

225 posts
Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 01 Aug 2006 10:47

JM didn't get where he was today by admitting he was wrong. And after all, for a man obsessed with money he's not done too badly out of all this.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Aug 2006 10:50

No chance of a defeat all round, 107 would have had exclusive live commentary and people would have tuned in. RFC was always in a win-win scenario here and this has now turned into the perfect result for them

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Aug 2006 13:23

Huntley & Palmer As mentioned by me earlier in the thread, it was obvious this was a bargaining tool to get BBCRB to pay more money. Mr Madejski is a very astute business man, I can't see how this is a victory for anyone other than him

He may be an astute business man but that doesn't mean he always wins.

I don't believe there is any mention of increased money in the latest statements. Instead they refer to a broadcasting and promotional deal. Could be that, in the same way that 107 were rumoured to be offering free advertising credits as part of their payment, Radio Berks are also offering some form of 'payment in kind' to secure the new 'improved' deal.

Personally I believe his image has been slightly tarnished by the way this whole matter has been conducted but, unless you can put a price on that,
perhaps he's not the type to be overly worried.

Huntley & Palmer No chance of a defeat all round, 107 would have had exclusive live commentary and people would have tuned in. RFC was always in a win-win scenario here and this has now turned into the perfect result for them

Not sure it was always a win-win scenario for the club. They certainly took some PR body blows early in the contest and I believe they were at risk of leaving themeselves vulnerable by underestimating the effect/power of a concerted campaign by fans. However, as a truce has now been agreed we will never know.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Sign the Petition to save BBCRB Commentary

by Royalee » 01 Aug 2006 13:35

thefruits Thought it best to start a new thread.. dedicated solely to raising awareness of the petition being raised to influence and cajole the club into changing their short-sighted, ill-judged and entirely pernicious decision to disenfranchise a great number of Reading fans over a measly amount of money.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... i?BBCBERKS

Alternatively let the local rag know your views by emailing Hilary Scott here

hscott@reading-epost.co.uk

Or better still let Mr Mad know your views at

jmadejski@readingfc.co.uk

Please support the loyal royals

Please keep this thread visible for others to join the cause by leaving comments below

Thanks to Andy Halls for setting up the petition.. now 380 names strong and rising. Lets get this to a 1000 by Monday

Remember its not about the ones who have season tickets or live within Central Reading. Its for those who don't. Those who will be effectively cut off from the club all for a few pennies.

Well done to that man and Andy Halls.

thefruits

by thefruits » 01 Aug 2006 18:35

I'm not worthy.... all I did was get a little hot and bothered on a saturday night when I should have been getting rat arsed in Reading... instead I was seething... luckily at an absurd time on Sunday morning I saw the light... trawled through many posts from the evening before and wrote that initial post on this thread...

Thanks to AH and all the other hobnobbers really. TF

FWIW I also posted a very apt article that I had read that gave me hope...

Reposted below...

Posted: 22 Jul 2006 19:44 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who feel we're pi$$ing in the wind.....

It isn't impossible... see below article...

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/s ... 77,00.html

'Companies like McDonald's, lock manufacturer Kryptonite and computer firm Dell have all fallen foul of internet buzz in recent years. Because search engines like Google can allow grassroots campaigns to become highly visible, industry insiders agree decisions can be shaped by a small number of activists.

"It's always been the case that vocal minorities are listened to by media organisations, brands, advertisers and marketers - normally because they're thought to represent a wider swath of opinion," said Tom Coates, a technologist with Yahoo! and prominent blogger.

"TV and radio programmes are censored or pulled on the green-inked letters of a few hundred people, products removed from shelves because of less than 100 complaints.

"On that basis, these figures start to sound like a pretty large number of people, and probably a much more representative sample than perhaps before."

Mr Reynolds admits the idea of small groups being able to pressurise wider decisions is nothing new, but those who ignore online buzz do so at their peril: "You can bury your head in the sand, but very quickly you'll look like a very old-fashioned company."

225 posts