Has the Times got it wrong again?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Aug 2006 10:50

blade 1 you will need to avoid injuries to key players, because you dont have the same number of bodies in the squad and to see how the players adapt to loosing a few games in a row.

Mmmmm, didn't we have injuries last season, namely Kitson being out a couple of times and Leroy Lita broke his leg towards the end of the season. And we still managed fine. Although the defence is worrying light in numbers, if a major injury should happen to one of our centre backs, then we're fooked. That's why Coppell has been trying to bring in at least one quality centre back rather than bring in any forwards.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 15 Aug 2006 10:50

I believe our team ethic and the close-knit nature of the squad/management will put us in a strong postition, remember Palace and other teams who go up and buy as many players as possible just to look like they mean business and know they have to strengthen.

It's going to be tough and how we do if injuiries become an issue or if we go on a losing run will be key to the season, keep the team fit and we will be fine.

I would like to see one new defender and apart from that, no worries at all, even if we don't get that so what :wink:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Aug 2006 10:57

blade 1 is right.

Injuries in key positions will leave us very exposed at this level so we must pray for the sort of injury luck we enjoyed last season.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Aug 2006 12:24

Agree with GC. Imho we have not improved the squad into one capable of competing regularly in the Premiership. I hope to be proved wrong, but my current prediction is 19th - without some more quality at the back (not cover, a replacement for Sonko, Ingimarsson or both) and another central midfielder, I simply don't think we will cope.

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 15 Aug 2006 13:49

I too worry about injuries - we are light in all areas.

blade 1

by blade 1 » 15 Aug 2006 14:08

you will jsut have to wince every time you see essien sissoko or chris morgan running at one of your players

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 15 Aug 2006 14:38

blade 1 chris morgan running at one of your players

Should that not be "after"?

One player who will not make the step up IMO.

blade 1

by blade 1 » 15 Aug 2006 14:43

he is actually quite a good defender when you get past the fact he is as likly to chin the opposition as tackle them. (i have great memories of him trying to take on half of the millwall team last year and succeding till the inevitable red card)

shouldn't play that much when davies is back, but it will be fun to see henry et al being too fightened to approach our penalty area

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 15 Aug 2006 15:07

With all this talk of all we havent bought, all the cover we need etc etc, we're doomed because we havent bought in anyone on an inflated fee...blah blah

Who within the main team setup from last season would you want to deny the oppurtunity of playing in the Premiership?

I can see cases for maybe Inga and Murts, and maybe I am wearing Rose Tinted Glasses, but they got us here, with a very impressive points tally and style of playing.

Lets save our budget til January when we can judge who hasnt made the step up, because I know, for a man, I will be pround of everyone of them who are are out on the pitch on Saturday. Especially those who were with us on our last promotion.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Aug 2006 16:33

Of course I wouldn't want to 'deny' any of the promotion winners a place in a Premiership side, but we could be as good as relegated by January.

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 15 Aug 2006 16:33

One Beer is never enough. ...

Lets save our budget til January when we can judge who hasnt made the step up, because I know, for a man, I will be pround of everyone of them who are are out on the pitch on Saturday. Especially those who were with us on our last promotion.

My heart agrees with you - give them a chance to prove themselves. They have been good loyal servants of the club and deserve their chances. We hope they do make good at the higher level. The risk is that, if they don't, then by January the damage will have been done and we would need to get in some exceptionally good talent (probably at an exceptionally inflated price) to make up for lost time.

My head says we should add a couple of further signings this month if we can but after that there's no point throwing good money after bad. If by January we're sitting in the drop zone we should cut our losses and regroup in the Championship if necessary in preparation for another assault on promotion. We should only bolster the side in January if there's still a reasonable prospect of staying up and strengthening the squad will secure it.

I know I'm setting myself up for lots of abuse from those who feel that we should try to stay up whatever it costs but we got where we are by being financially prudent; why risk the future of the club taking on additional burdens that could send us in a downward spiral if we do drop?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Aug 2006 16:35

cmonurz Of course I wouldn't want to 'deny' any of the promotion winners a place in a Premiership side, but we could be as good as relegated by January.

Aren't you so facking negative!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Aug 2006 17:09

I'm not negative Spacey!! I'm upset you didn't take the trouble to comment on my positive spin....

Royal Rother We are a youngish squad and there is every reason to think that there is significant scope for further improvement from last season's displays.

Of course it'll be a lot lot tougher but Top 5 or 6 apart who should, by rights, destroy us, I see no cause for pessimism about our chances. Stick to the gameplan from last year (largely), play good football, be disciplined and avoid daft suspensions then we can compete as well as Wigan and West Ham did.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 15 Aug 2006 19:38

We may be nearly releagted by the January window, but we could spend a fortune now and be in the same position.

Have faith, we are not as bad as the pundits / media believe. There is a big gap between the CCC and the Prem, but we were at least a third (point wise) better than most of the CCC

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 15 Aug 2006 20:42

Have faith, we are not as bad as the pundits / media believe. There is a big gap between the CCC and the Prem, but we were at least a third (point wise) better than most of the CCC

I have. I don't think we will be relegated, even with the current squad, provided they keep fit. The only worry I have is over injury cover, and that is why SC wants to strengthen the defensive capabilities.

There may be a big gap between the CCC and the PL but there is also is a yawning chasm between the top PL clubs and most of the rest. We can't realistically aspire to challenge Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, etc. for the top slots this year but I will be surprised as well as disappointed if we finish the season in the bottom quartile.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 15 Aug 2006 20:52

Trouble is none of us want to end up like Bradford,Ipswich (under Vialli ourselves nearly did) but then ofcourse we want to stay up.

For a club (more so us than you guys or the Blades) we cannot go spending massive amounts of money on high wages/players (to be honest we've probaly spent the limit for this summer) but a manager liek Adie wants us to stay up naturally as he is so positive and doesn't settle for 2nd best.

Our squad isnt the strongest but we will give the Premiership a right old go and do better than last time I hope!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 15 Aug 2006 21:07

East Stand Royal 500

I have. I don't think we will be relegated, even with the current squad, provided they keep fit. The only worry I have is over injury cover, and that is why SC wants to strengthen the defensive capabilities.

There may be a big gap between the CCC and the PL but there is also is a yawning chasm between the top PL clubs and most of the rest. We can't realistically aspire to challenge Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, etc. for the top slots this year but I will be surprised as well as disappointed if we finish the season in the bottom quartile.

If West Brom & Birmingham last year were any kind of yardstick then we should be capable of doing better than them.

I think we've got a decent chance of staying up. If we get bad hit by injuries in defence or central midfield then we'll have problems, but I've seen little to suggest the acquistions of watford and sheff utd give them better teams than us.

Yes, some more signings would help, but I only really want us to sign players who'll strengthen the first team, not players who just add a bit of depth.

I wouldn't also be so sure that not signing anyone by Saturday means we won't sign anyone else. Come the end of August and those players out there waiting/hoping for deals to come in could find themselves with a move to Reading being their most attractive offer.

Royal Rob

by Royal Rob » 15 Aug 2006 21:30

Although The Times said yesterday that they think we will go down, their Fink Tank's predictions are the ones to watch out for. These guys calculate the outcome of domestic and international football matches based on the data from thousands of previous matches and are surprisingly accurate. Their predictions have consistently returned a profit at the bookmakers.

In January, they published a predicted Premiership table which turned out to be almost exactly as things finished. During the World Cup their predictions were again good. They said Brazil would win the trophy. However, tournament football is very different to league football - a single mistake by a single player can result in one of the favourites going out and the whole thing being messed up. For the England matches their predictions were mightily impressive.

Anyhow, if you click to http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,7973,00.html and click on the 'Cick here to launch the predictor' link there are this season's predictions.

Reading NINTH they reckon.

In my opinion, these tables are worth much more than the ramblings of some crackpot journalist who knows very little about the Royals so simply predicts they are on their way down because they are new to the league.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Aug 2006 21:31

Super_horns Trouble is none of us want to end up like Bradford

Didn't they spend £3 million on an aged Carbone plus his extortionate salary? No-one is advocating that, but perhaps a couple more signings of the Seol sort and some fans may rest a bit more easily in the coming weeks.

We shall see - I hope to be proved wrong. No Spacey, I am not 'facking negative' (one of the founding members of the 'RTG' clan :wink: ), and your constant attacking those who are worried about the coming season is becoming tiresome.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 15 Aug 2006 21:51

Not one ball has been kicked in the Premiership, but I think everyone should be able to make accurate predictions about what's going to happen.

I think we should all panic now.