why wasn't USA ...

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 22 Oct 2006 23:34

it was common sense and a good decision not to send hahnemann off as we would of gone on to lose about 6-0.

In my opinion hahnemann made some good saves but his distribution was absolutely woeful.

Why cant he just roll it out immediately after getting it rather than doing his pointless kicks? :evil:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 23 Oct 2006 00:25

Coppell's Right Footed 11 it was common sense and a good decision not to send hahnemann off as we would of gone on to lose about 6-0.

In my opinion hahnemann made some good saves but his distribution was absolutely woeful.

Why cant he just roll it out immediately after getting it rather than doing his pointless kicks? :evil:
I think his long throws are his most effective outs. Last season time and again we created great chances by quick throws to the half way line after an opposition attack, where we'd get them 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 or better. That happened a couple of times today, but most of the time it was the long hoof soaked up by an underrated Arsenal back line. Was I the only one impressed by their pace at the back? Long and Doyle both struggled to make their speed count.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 23 Oct 2006 00:29

Arch I think his long throws are his most effective outs. Last season time and again we created great chances by quick throws to the half way line after an opposition attack, where we'd get them 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 or better. That happened a couple of times today, but most of the time it was the long hoof soaked up by an underrated Arsenal back line. Was I the only one impressed by their pace at the back? Long and Doyle both struggled to make their speed count.

Long shouldn't of been playing, he doesn't do anything for me... send him out on loan in January please.

Why wasn't Leroy even used today?

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 23 Oct 2006 00:42

URZZ
Arch I think his long throws are his most effective outs. Last season time and again we created great chances by quick throws to the half way line after an opposition attack, where we'd get them 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 or better. That happened a couple of times today, but most of the time it was the long hoof soaked up by an underrated Arsenal back line. Was I the only one impressed by their pace at the back? Long and Doyle both struggled to make their speed count.

Long shouldn't of been playing, he doesn't do anything for me... send him out on loan in January please.

Because he offers absolutely nothing week in week out

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 23 Oct 2006 01:00

URZZ

Apocalypse Now
Location: " Has anyone here at this reading home game, got a season ticket"- Pa Dickhead

by Apocalypse Now » 23 Oct 2006 01:07

So an overhead kick over a year ago is enough to warrant a place in a premiership starting 11 after no goals in the league since the opening day of the season?

Andy hughes scored a great goal against wolves once, shall we re-sign him?

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 23 Oct 2006 07:14

URZZ

agreed. but its not entirely his fault, we all agree both he or doyle would play better along side kitson. they don't compliment each other right now, i guess boss figured he'd give long a chance. maybe not the right day for it...

poohs pure

Re: why wasn't USA ...

by poohs pure » 23 Oct 2006 07:21

ROWY ... sent off

last man, prevented a goalscoring opportunity by bringing down the player

he should have gone

definate penalty, referee was lenient.

more worryingly though is Marcus' starting position. more often than not this season he has had ample opportunity to come out and smother a ball or give it the big welly but we (well normally sonko) end up scrambling a clearance. a big lad like marcus should dominate his area with the opposing strikers knowing full well they are in for a clattering if they dare to go into his manner. shot stopping ability is spot on but this is an area i think he needs toimprove on.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 23 Oct 2006 13:01

Apocalypse Now So an overhead kick over a year ago is enough to warrant a place in a premiership starting 11 after no goals in the league since the opening day of the season?

Andy hughes scored a great goal against wolves once, shall we re-sign him?

No, not at all.

I'm just making my point that I think he's a class player, but a class player that lacks effort, he shows it when interested and half the time that's never.

If he put effort in for 90+ minutes, he'd be class.

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 23 Oct 2006 13:51

If Marcus should have been sent off yesterday ... then your telling me he should have gone against Palace lastyear? .. it was the same

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Oct 2006 13:52

Premier League referee in "using common sense" shocker!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Oct 2006 13:55

Marcus was clearly trying to avoid touching the guy, but caught him anyway whilst making an attempt to get the ball. the player was going away from the goal and may not have kept the ball in play.

No intent, but there was contact and a loss of advantage. Clear penalty, no card needed. Though I have to admit I was worried.

last man means absolutely nothing, it's clear goalscoring opportunity that is the important bit. Also having willful intent. Good call by the ref, made easier by the scoreline.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 23 Oct 2006 14:19

A lot of the criticism of refereeing decisions seems to come form when they are making decisions they think are forced on them by some regulation (or when fans perceive that they fail to). If there were fewer regulations and more room for interpretation by the refs, we might actually think they were doing a better job.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 24 Oct 2006 08:37

ROWY should he or shouldn't he ?

lets be honest with ourselves ...

Marcus stopped a clear goal scoring opportunity with a foul, therefore should have been sent off.!!

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 24 Oct 2006 08:39

this is indeed true....but rules are rules and need to be applied consistantly to avoid confusion and confrontation!

Arch A lot of the criticism of refereeing decisions seems to come form when they are making decisions they think are forced on them by some regulation (or when fans perceive that they fail to). If there were fewer regulations and more room for interpretation by the refs, we might actually think they were doing a better job.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 24 Oct 2006 11:11

Must admit as soon as the pen was given I was praying that Hahnemann wouldnt be sent off. The last thing we needed at that point was to be playing with 10 men and with our No 1 goalie missing a league game through suspension. Amazed he wasn't at least booked though, can't help feeling as others have mentioned that with us 3-0 down at that point, Wiley decided in that situation it wasn't necessary and felt sorry for us. Did Wiley even book anyone in the game?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Oct 2006 11:14

KC Royal Must admit as soon as the pen was given I was praying that Hahnemann wouldnt be sent off. The last thing we needed at that point was to be playing with 10 men and with our No 1 goalie missing a league game through suspension. Amazed he wasn't at least booked though, can't help feeling as others have mentioned that with us 3-0 down at that point, Wiley decided in that situation it wasn't necessary and felt sorry for us. Did Wiley even book anyone in the game?

regardless of what hte rules say the right decision was made in the correct spirit of the game. Marcus tried to get the ball, didn't and made every effort to avoid bring down the player, unfortunately this was not possible. The ball was not necessarily under control and could have gone out of play, also the player was going away from the goal. not a "clear goalscoring oppotunity" IMO

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 24 Oct 2006 11:23

KC Royal Must admit as soon as the pen was given I was praying that Hahnemann wouldnt be sent off. The last thing we needed at that point was to be playing with 10 men and with our No 1 goalie missing a league game through suspension. Amazed he wasn't at least booked though, can't help feeling as others have mentioned that with us 3-0 down at that point, Wiley decided in that situation it wasn't necessary and felt sorry for us. Did Wiley even book anyone in the game?

No bookings in fact only 6 fouls from Reading the whole game. At least half that of every other Premiership team last weekend. And SC reckons there was no hangover from the Chelsea game?

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 24 Oct 2006 11:54

Jackson Corner

No bookings in fact only 6 fouls from Reading the whole game. At least half that of every other Premiership team last weekend. And SC reckons there was no hangover from the Chelsea game?

I agree to a point but the Chelsea game was a one off game imo, we were more physical and commited a lot more fouls in that game than in any previous match this season which surprised me a bit. I can't think of the last time we picked up 2 bookings for our centre backs and a red card. I just think that was our gameplan against Chelsea. Against Arsenal the plan from I alluded to in the match thread, was to play football against them, given what Doyle and Hunt said before the match.

And Ian Royal, some referees rightly or wrongly would have sent Hahnemann off in that situation which is why I feared the worst.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Oct 2006 12:09

KC Royal
Jackson Corner

I agree to a point but the Chelsea game was a one off game imo, we were more physical and commited a lot more fouls in that game than in any previous match this season which surprised me a bit. I can't think of the last time we picked up 2 bookings for our centre backs and a red card. I just think that was our gameplan against Chelsea. Against Arsenal the plan from I alluded to in the match thread, was to play football against them, given what Doyle and Hunt said before the match.

And Ian Royal, some referees rightly or wrongly would have sent Hahnemann off in that situation which is why I feared the worst.

In feared too, but I still would have been miffed if he went. same result went johnson went down last season wasn't it.

I don't think we fouled much against Arsenal because everytime we got near them they moved the ball elsewhere.