Dave Kitson.......Regrets, I've had a few.....

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

Dave Kitson.......Regrets, I've had a few.....

by The Prisoner » 12 Mar 2009 18:11

Striker Kitson regrets Stoke move

Striker Dave Kitson has admitted leaving Reading to join Stoke City was the wrong decision.

Kitson has returned to the Royals on loan for the rest of the season, having signed for the Potters in the summer.

"What I needed was a club where I felt wanted, which is what I already had, and a family which was happy, which I already had," he told BBC Berkshire.

"I threw all of that away for what I thought was going to be a new challenge. It was the wrong decision."

The 29-year-old added: "That was my fault and so I'm just delighted to be back and hopefully I can get all of that back in place."

Kitson said he hopes the Reading supporters will put his summer departure behind them.

They're lovely people up there and for them I hope Stoke stay in the Premier League

"Some of the fans were a bit miffed when I left but the club got great money for me.

"When Steve Sidwell and Nicky Shorey went, and then Glen [Little] and myself, I just felt that team had one or two years in it. It was a shame to see it break up prematurely.

"I felt at the time we should still have been in the Premier League and I was angry that for whatever reason it wasn't.

"With Glen and me coming back, hopefully it'll kick us on and get us back up there - I still feel that's where we belong."

Kitson made just 18 appearances for Stoke in all competitions and failed to score.

"I was more bemused with the situation. I'd been bought for a lot of money but I wasn't sure I was being utilised in the way I thought I was going to be," he added.

"You do have some days at training when you go back in and wonder what you're doing there.

"But I hold my hands up - it was my fault. I made the decision to go to Stoke, I didn't have to, no-one forced me to go, and it was a bad decision.

"I could have been part of the squad that got us back up again and hopefully stay in the Premier League and I chose not to be a part of that."

Kitson is hoping to be involved this weekend for the match at home against Ipswich Town but is not worrying too much about the long-term future.

"You need the man who holds the purse strings [to make the decision about staying at Reading]. It would be nice but the job in hand is to get back into the Premier League.

"Steve Coppell put the question to Stoke and I think he was surprised they were willing to do something.

"I begged them to do it and I'm grateful to Stoke for allowing me to come back."

But Kitson told BBC Radio Stoke that he would be willing to return to the Britannia Stadium if his return to Reading is not made permanent.

"I'm only on loan and I may well get the opportunity to go back to Stoke. If that's the case, we'll try to do the best we can again.

"I'm not going to blame the manager or the other players or anyone else.

"The fans were fantastic to me and I never had one negative comment from them. They're lovely people up there and for them I hope Stoke stay in the Premier League.

"I've played at all the Premier League grounds but the first time I stepped out at the Britannia Stadium the hairs went up on the back of my neck.

"It's no coincidence that a lot of big teams have gone there and lost.

"Stoke's home form is spot on at the moment and I think that will be enough to keep them in the Premier League."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 940220.stm

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Dave Kitson.......Regrets, I've had a few.....

by West Stand Flash » 12 Mar 2009 18:16

Top honest man, fair play!!
Brace on Saturday please.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 12 Mar 2009 18:21

'greed. Spoken like a gent.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 12 Mar 2009 18:23

Welcome back Dave.

It's ok to make mistakes.

He will come back a better person, more mature and of stronger character. He has become more experienced. We will need his experience and skills in these last 10 games.

I hope we can make his move back here a permanent one. But if Stoke want £5million quid, they can forget it. We'll give em £1.5Million maximum.

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 12 Mar 2009 18:35

I posted this on General Football at the beginning of August:

ShrewsandRoyals Went to see Shrewsbury v Stoke City today, and managed to have a word with Kits (more later on that).

He is like a lost soul. Started off brightly with a flashed header on 2 minutes that just missed to the right. Missed a sitter when the keeper came out, partly got the ball and all he had to do was direct it in the open goal. Left foot missed high and to the left.

Not one cross to him. He pointedly pretended to kick the non-existant ball into the net when the first attempted cross was poor, to say the least.

Most of the time he spent with back to goal looking for the hoof ball to fly high and forward, rarely to him. He played centrally, on the left and the right. The level of frustration just seemed to grow and grow as he increasing went deeper to get the ball himself and try and do something. This was accompanied by a few rash "foot ins".

Subbed about 12 minutes into the second half, and given grief by the Shrews fans. They won't be singing "Davie Kitson, what a bargain" anymore as he left to "What a waste of money".

I can not for the life of me think why they signed him. They have four giants that they can hoof to already, and he will never see a good cross or ball into the channel again. Stoke were pretty poor and scraped the single goal win when there were chances of them going behind. They haven't a hope based on what I saw today.

As for Kits himself, I was a little concerned before the game even started. My lads had their Kingsley bear and the Derby programme for him to sign, the stewards let them through with me to the tunnel. The second he spotted the Kingsley appear he actually broke into a broad smile and commented "Ah, the good old days" when we talked about Reading. Seemed an odd thing to say when you are looking to your future at a new club.

I think he genuinely must think alot of his time at Reading but his logic of using football to provide the maximum income for his family has over ridden that.

He didn't hide his feelings at all that day.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 12 Mar 2009 18:53

Well, I hope this changes the minds of those more critical of him. He's an honest man and isn't afraid of the consequences.
I welcome him back, but not at the expense of Long, who has been our best striker recently.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 12 Mar 2009 18:58

It's honest articles like that that made him my favourite Reading player. Welcome back Kits!

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 12 Mar 2009 19:03

Ups and Downs It's honest articles like that that made him my favourite Reading player. Welcome back Kits!

Absolutely... that and a few goals.

Hope it works out and he stays.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 12 Mar 2009 19:07

Sarah Star
Ups and Downs It's honest articles like that that made him my favourite Reading player. Welcome back Kits!

Indeed. He owes us some goals :D

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 12 Mar 2009 19:12

For me this clears the air, and now I realise that he still loves the club and begged Stoke to let him come back, I welcome him with open arms (I'd wondered if this was just a convenience move for him, but obviously not). And quite plainly he wants to come back full time, and why not, if the price is right (a sight less than we sold him for, I suggest)? Excellent stuff. I think this is now a win win move for Reading. All that remains now is to start winning.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 12 Mar 2009 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 12 Mar 2009 19:14

Sarah Star

Yeah the goals and supermarket back story helped too.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 12 Mar 2009 19:16

...and the fact that he wrote to me and I wouldn't have become such a Reading fan without him doing that.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Mar 2009 19:17

Abolute RFC legend in my eyes, always has been and always will be.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 12 Mar 2009 19:19

Sarah Star ...and the fact that he wrote to me and I wouldn't have become such a Reading fan without him doing that.

What did he write?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 12 Mar 2009 19:21

Ups and Downs
Sarah Star ...and the fact that he wrote to me and I wouldn't have become such a Reading fan without him doing that.

What did he write?

A very eloquent letter all about Macbeth. The fact that he wrote back at all is enough though. Nothing to do with football.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Mar 2009 19:21

Welcome home Kits.

One thing Kits has always been is articulate. Quality piece of work. All I ask is that if he scores on Saturday that he DOES NOT kiss the badge.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 12 Mar 2009 19:22

Terminal Boardom Welcome home Kits.

One thing Kits has always been is articulate. Quality piece of work. All I ask is that if he scores on Saturday that he DOES NOT kiss the badge.

I hope he does!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 12 Mar 2009 19:27

God is back.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 12 Mar 2009 19:29

His PR man must be max clifford.

He could do with shutting his gob and showing the club that signed him for so much money a bit of respect.

Just do the talking on the pitch, Dave.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 12 Mar 2009 19:31

You should get him a welcome back card and send it to him and see if he remembers you :lol:

Fair play to him the article is typical Kits...speaking his mind...but for once he is doing it in a positive way, with a slice of humble pie for good measure... :mrgreen: