Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by Clyde1998 » 19 Dec 2023 19:00

Regarding the train service, I've only travelled to a game once via Green Park station (Swindon), but travelled at least five times to get home from football matches (Trophy games; FA Youth Cup; nothing in the league IIRC).

Can't really complain, although would like to see additional trains/carriages put on for football matches. Because I live in West Berks, I have to change at Reading West to actually get home and the synchronisation of trains can be problematic - especially as there's half the amount of trains going to Newbury (from Reading) as there is to Basingstoke after ~20:00 for whatever reason (which is roughly when the bus service back to Newbury stops).

That said, it does mean it's easier to get to lower attendance games where there isn't a football bus running.

For the last FA Youth Cup game, the trains towards Reading were cancelled at short notice until after 23:00, so had to get a bus back into Reading and get a replacement bus service from Reading station. :roll:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 19 Dec 2023 22:41

Can you/would you drive, Clyde?

Your commitment to public transport is laudable but sounds like a PITA - especially for the lower attendance games you reference.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 20 Dec 2023 01:42

Green Can you/would you drive, Clyde?

Your commitment to public transport is laudable but sounds like a PITA - especially for the lower attendance games you reference.

I'm not able to drive for medical reasons atm, so have to make the most of public transport to get places. Luckily most of the time I'm using public transport, it's within my local area or to go to central Reading; going to football is the only time I regularly go elsewhere. Everything else is ad hoc.

Driving to get to the ground would be significantly better for the lower attendance games, as I'd be able to park at the ground and not have to take detours into central Reading like with regular public transport services. It would be around 30 minutes by car (on a clear run); it's around an hour by football bus (which goes directly to the ground) and around an hour and a half by standard public transport to get to the ground. In practice, I wouldn't park directly at the ground due to cost and traffic around the stadium; parking away from the ground would probably be about the same time as the football bus.

It can be problematic when you're dependant on public transport to get around, as you're at the whim of the service's availability and it doesn't necessarily line up well when you have to switch between services. When it's all running, it's acceptable; the problem is it's often not been running properly over the past couple of years (especially the rail side of things).

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Mar 2024 11:24

West Reading station closed today due to an `incident` for anybody thinking of choosing this route from Reading.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Mar 2024 11:55

windermereROYAL West Reading station closed today due to an `incident` for anybody thinking of choosing this route from Reading.

Looks like it's just a temporary issue. Things should be back to normal by 13:00 - https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service- ... -20240309/

805 posts