England - the future....

3643 posts
BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

Re: England - the future....

by BRO_BOT » 21 May 2024 17:17

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 21 May 2024 17:22

6ft Kerplunk
WestYorksRoyal Assuming Shaw doesn't make it, who the hell starts at LB?

Trippier has done it before for England and Gomez has played there a fair bit for Liverpool this season. Not ideal but its the weakest part of our squad for depth and has been for a while.

Luke Shaw is one of the better LB in Europe but is made of glass. You can't be relying on him to make it through an entire tournament

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 21 May 2024 17:25

Hendo
NathStPaul
Hendo Rashford, Sterling and Henderson all looking like being out.

Agree with that decision if true. They have all had their time imo. Think Rashford could come again but he needs to move clubs and have a fresh start.

Yep, would agree with that - don't think I'd be against Rashford being one of the players on standby should a number of injuries occur.

I'd be quite happy for Utd to sell Rashford. Has been very poor this season. He may work in an England set-up if we sit back and then hit a ball over the top

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 21 May 2024 17:30

Loafer
Royal Rother
Loafer this has to be one of the worst england squads of all time

southgate has lost the oxf*rd plot

What would you have done differently?

dunno tbh, its just a shit squad

awful defence, too many young players who cant cut it

The defense is not through choice, that's all there is.

The young players have been exceptional this season...Foden, Palmer, Mainoo, Gordon etc

How good is Quansah btw? I know some of the dippers on here rate him but they also said the same about Gomez

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 May 2024 18:03

South Coast Royal
6ft Kerplunk
South Coast Royal Fortunately Toney has progressed so that any injury to Kane would not now be a national disaster.

Has he? He's not been that good since he came back from his ban and is a bit lucky to be in the provisional squad.

So who would you have taken in his place?

Yeah, there lies the problem Kane is our only tried and tested out and out striker. We know Kane's starting if he's fit and probably even if he's not 100% fit. Watkins should be next in line and Bowen has had a far better season than Toney and can be the third choice centre forward. I can't see the final squad including all of Kane, Bowen, Watkins and Toney
If Kane is injured I'd be quite happy not to play a recognised centre forward as such as there's more than enough talent in Saka, Foden, Palmer, Gordon, Bellingham in a more free flowing formation. Pretty sure they've all played in a few games this season without a recognised centre forward.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 May 2024 18:08

BRO_BOT How good is Quansah btw? I know some of the dippers on here rate him but they also said the same about Gomez

Much like the fuss around Mainoo I reckon. Very good player there already and could turn out to be excellent within a couple of seasons but hyped a bit too much given the number of games played. Not noticed how much pace he's got, which could be a good sign as I've not seen him getting left for dead but I'd love us to have a really quick centre half. Feels like we've not really had one since a prime Des Walker.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 21 May 2024 19:31

BRO_BOT
Loafer
Royal Rother
What would you have done differently?

dunno tbh, its just a shit squad

awful defence, too many young players who cant cut it

The defense is not through choice, that's all there is.

The young players have been exceptional this season...Foden, Palmer, Mainoo, Gordon etc

How good is Quansah btw? I know some of the dippers on here rate him but they also said the same about Gomez

No Mitchell and tarkowski

But yet Maguire and Shaw

Ffs

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 May 2024 07:02

BRO_BOT Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

Anyone know why they name a 33 man squad instead of just the final squad? Surprised Elliott has been left out in favour of Jones (not that either would be in the final squad anyway).

Reckon Quansah, Eze, Trafford, Maddison, Jones and Guehi/Shaw (depending on fitness) will all be given the old heave-ho for the final 26.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 May 2024 10:07

6ft Kerplunk
BRO_BOT How good is Quansah btw? I know some of the dippers on here rate him but they also said the same about Gomez

Much like the fuss around Mainoo I reckon. Very good player there already and could turn out to be excellent within a couple of seasons but hyped a bit too much given the number of games played. Not noticed how much pace he's got, which could be a good sign as I've not seen him getting left for dead but I'd love us to have a really quick centre half. Feels like we've not really had one since a prime Des Walker.

Definitely quick enough but it shows the dearth of defenders to choose from.
For Mainoo it is far too early but it won't do any of these players any harm to be around the international set-up for the longer term.

Very pleased to see Wharton in there who completely out shone Mainoo recently and would have liked to see Mitchell there as a fit proper left-back ahead of the fill in options.

If Shaw and Trippier get in the squad despite game time and fitness issues I would have had Pope ahead of all the other keepers.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 22 May 2024 10:23

Loafer
ayjaydee
Loafer this has to be one of the worst england squads of all time

southgate has lost the oxf*rd plot

If you don't want the pile on suggest you engage brain before starting keyboard

everybody is entitled to their own opinion

Can't disagree with that but it is a better look if you give examples and suggest alternatives rather than a blanket "this is shit". Just saying.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 22 May 2024 10:29

South Coast Royal
6ft Kerplunk

For Mainoo it is far too early but it won't do any of these players any harm to be around the international set-up for the longer term.

Very pleased to see Wharton in there who completely out shone Mainoo recently and would have liked to see Mitchell there as a fit proper left-back ahead of the fill in options.

If Shaw and Trippier get in the squad despite game time and fitness issues I would have had Pope ahead of all the other keepers.

Lol at 'completely outshone' they are two completely different players for a start. Wharton is an all-bluster destroyer and Mainoo is more attacking on the ball player who plays with the calmness of an experienced 35-year-old veteran. The highlights real below show this

Mainoo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiVCbqE ... TopStriker

Wharton - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkkrs_D ... ctvPremium

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 May 2024 10:54

BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal
6ft Kerplunk Much like the fuss around Mainoo I reckon. Very good player there already and could turn out to be excellent within a couple of seasons but hyped a bit too much given the number of games played. Not noticed how much pace he's got, which could be a good sign as I've not seen him getting left for dead but I'd love us to have a really quick centre half. Feels like we've not really had one since a prime Des Walker.

Lol at 'completely outshone' they are two completely different players for a start. Wharton is an all-bluster destroyer and Mainoo is more attacking on the ball player who plays with the calmness of an experienced 35-year-old veteran. The highlights real below show this

I beg to differ.
Wharton is probably a better passer of the ball, vital at international level, and Mainoo has played so little first team football it is a job to know what his game really is.
It doesn't matter anyway as neither will probably go but both have the prospect of decent careers ahead of them.

Also, slightly unfair to judge Mainoo as he has to play with inferior players not at the same level as Eze and Olise.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 22 May 2024 11:02

South Coast Royal
BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal

I beg to differ.
Wharton is probably a better passer of the ball, vital at international level, and Mainoo has played so little first team football it is a job to know what his game really is.
It doesn't matter anyway as neither will probably go but both have the prospect of decent careers ahead of them.

Also, slightly unfair to judge Mainoo as he has to play with inferior players not at the same level as Eze and Olise.

Hopefully, they both progress but they are different players. From what I've seen of Wharton he seems best positioned to replace Rice should the need arise. The CDM position is vital in the modern game. I do hope United are keeping an eye on him

Also, slight chuckLOLes at the last line! :D

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 22 May 2024 11:06

Post up your first elevens! There's a worry of shoehorning attackers in rather than having a balanced team (the old Lampard/Gerrard shizzle)

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 22 May 2024 11:26

ayjaydee
Loafer
ayjaydee
If you don't want the pile on suggest you engage brain before starting keyboard

everybody is entitled to their own opinion

Can't disagree with that but it is a better look if you give examples and suggest alternatives rather than a blanket "this is shit". Just saying.

there are so many better options that southgate could have picked

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 May 2024 11:52

BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal
BRO_BOT

I beg to differ.

Hopefully, they both progress but they are different players. From what I've seen of Wharton he seems best positioned to replace Rice should the need arise. The CDM position is vital in the modern game. I do hope United are keeping an eye on him

Also, slight chuckLOLes at the last line! :D

glad it was taken in the manner intended rather than is so often not the case on here as it becomes ever more serious, boring and right-on.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 May 2024 12:44

Trippier has gone off injured in the Spurs Vs Newcastle post season money generator game in Australia

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 May 2024 13:55

The language of the football press....

Marcus Rashford was snubbed apparently.

So that means he was not just "not selected" because he's been really shit at football for a year. Oh no, on the contrary, he was treated with contempt and disdain.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 May 2024 13:58

Winston Biscuit Trippier has gone off injured in the Spurs Vs Newcastle post season money generator game in Australia

Good news, he's not up to it.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 May 2024 14:38

BRO_BOT Post up your first elevens! There's a worry of shoehorning attackers in rather than having a balanced team (the old Lampard/Gerrard shizzle)

It is very difficult to pick an eleven when there is only one left-back in the squad who, even by Southgate's admission in interview, comes with major fitness concerns.

I heard a caller on Talksport being laughed at by Durham & Co for suggesting that Saka plays at left-back-they have readily forgotten that Wenger played him there on a number of occasions.

If we wanted to accommodate both Foden and Palmer in a starting eleven it strikes me as not the craziest suggestion when all other options in the squad are right-footed.
Regardless of how Gomez or even Trippier have "filled in" at club level with some success a right-footer playing alongside the erratic right-footer Maguire playing at left centre-back is fraught with problems IMHO.

The more I look at the squad I feel that we will struggle unless Southgate breaks with his known cautious approach and goes for broke hoping to outscore the opposition.
Unfortunately big competitions are so often won by teams with the best defence.

BTW France and Portugal look to have the best squads IMHO.

3643 posts