Hob Nob Legend

Re: Scottish premier league.

by Silver Fox » 27 Sep 2023 12:45

The English throw in a vase and trophy to go along with the FA cup too

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Sep 2023 14:11

I think it works quite well. In the league cup, the smaller clubs are guaranteed 4 ties, some against bigger opposition and it's all done and dusted by Christmas.

The Cup is just the cup and the SPL teams come in quite late so again, any small club has a decent chance of getting a big club.

The trophy completion has some non league teams in it which, of course, the EFL tried about 20 odd years ago.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Sep 2023 12:24

The league cup at the start of the season is a decent idea. Each club gets three matches and while some don't take them that seriously, they're far better than the meaningless pre-season friendlies you'd have had before.

And if a club does get through the group stage there's a chance of a good cash bonus. Morton got through, drew Rangers at Ibrox, and that's made a massive difference to the club's finances.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Oct 2023 09:20

2nd placed St Mirren at home to 3rd placed managerless Rangers on Sunday. St Mirren also follow that with games against the bottom 2 teams, whereas Rangers play Hibs & Hearts.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Oct 2023 09:39

Dirk Gently The league cup at the start of the season is a decent idea. Each club gets three matches and while some don't take them that seriously, they're far better than the meaningless pre-season friendlies you'd have had before.

And if a club does get through the group stage there's a chance of a good cash bonus. Morton got through, drew Rangers at Ibrox, and that's made a massive difference to the club's finances.

Agree that the Scottish League Cup format is something the FL can learn from and think that they should go for something similar.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Oct 2023 15:39

Sutekh
Dirk Gently The league cup at the start of the season is a decent idea. Each club gets three matches and while some don't take them that seriously, they're far better than the meaningless pre-season friendlies you'd have had before.

Agree that the Scottish League Cup format is something the FL can learn from and think that they should go for something similar.

It's a fantastic idea, that naturally won't happen in England as a result.

72 EFL clubs put in 18 groups of 4. Top 2 qualify.

Worst 2 3rd place sides knocked out, remaining 16 play play off round in August.

PL sides join in September, 64 sides, straight knock out. No 2 leg semis.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Oct 2023 20:28

Hibs fans leave stickers on rangers seats mocking them over the 1971 ibrox disaster

The stickers said 'Stairwell Thirteen – it’s the greatest sight that I have ever seen'

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Oct 2023 21:04

Brainless dickheads.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 15 May 2024 23:03

8)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 May 2024 09:05

BRO_BOT 8)

I like to think you're with Despair on this.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 May 2024 10:32

The 2024/25 season will mark the 40th Anniversary of a side not called Celtic or Rangers winning the league.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 May 2024 12:26

Sutekh
BRO_BOT 8)

I like to think you're with Despair on this.

You think I'm a Celtic fan?

LOL. Dunfirmline all the way.

Hate both the Old Firm Teams. What may appear to be negativity towards Rangers is purely down to the fact that they are miles behind what, this season at least, is a functional but unremarkable Celtic team. They have been poor and ever since the original Dundee game was postponed, they've been rattled as fcuk, lost focus and been looking for excuses.

Butland aside, are there any Rangers players that you can honestly say would improve the Celtic team?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 May 2024 12:30

Do Celtic fans also have affinity with or a soft spot for Hibs, or is that seen as a rivalry for the same kinds of fans? (or nothing at all and I don't understand Scotch football!)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 May 2024 12:31

Stranded The 2024/25 season will mark the 40th Anniversary of a side not called Celtic or Rangers winning the league.

And with the exception of the years in which Rangers were rebuilding after their financial issues, only Hearts have prevented either from coming first or second in the last 30.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 May 2024 12:37

Winston Biscuit Do Celtic fans also have affinity with or a soft spot for Hibs, or is that seen as a rivalry for the same kinds of fans? (or nothing at all and I don't understand Scotch football!)

No, they regard the rest of Scottish football with equal disdain, unless they're trying to buy their best players, in which case, the disdain is ramped up.

For example,one of the Old Firm, probably Rangers, will lowball Hearts for Lawrence Shankland this summer, safe in the knowledge that they can unsettle him by offering to triple his wages. Shankland's now 28 and has been a bit of a journeyman but is the best striker in Scotland so knows this could be his last chance to cash in on his career. He's Championship standard so would be worth £3-4m but his contract is up next summer.

The rest of the Scottish league regard Celtic and Rangers as a necessary evil.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 May 2024 13:55

Winston Biscuit Do Celtic fans also have affinity with or a soft spot for Hibs, or is that seen as a rivalry for the same kinds of fans? (or nothing at all and I don't understand Scotch football!)

Proddies v Cathodes innit
Celtic & Hibs have religious connection of sorts (historically)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 May 2024 14:30

Franchise FC

I thought they were both Catholic. Just wast sure if they means they like each other or fight for the Catholic fan

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 May 2024 14:58

Winston Biscuit
Franchise FC

I thought they were both Catholic. Just wast sure if they means they like each other or fight for the Catholic fan

Hibs & Celtic both Cathodes, Rangers & Hearts both Proddies
My M-I-L would give you the full couple of hours rant about it :roll:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 May 2024 15:11

Bur everyone hates the Old Firm.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 May 2024 16:09

its the same problem a lot of leagues have i guess. Always seems to be that one, or if they are lucky 2, have all the wealth and success, and everyone else just plays for also rans spots

Serie A seems to have broken away from that somewhat in recent years, which must be exciting as an Italian football fan