World Cup Bid

647 posts
Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

World Cup Bid

by Greatwesternline » 04 Nov 2010 16:04

This could be for anything else.

I'm getting really pisssed off with the British media do what really can only be interpreted as entrapment, trying to catch out high powered person one after another with tempting them with money then splashing it when they don't act whiter then white

Why do the Sunday Times think people will go, oh well done, by exposing some dodgy african rep, you've really helped your country along with the world cup bid.

Surely whole country should be pulling together to make this happen.

How many more papers did the ST sell, would they not sell more papers if we just got the world cup and could do lots of nice features on it.

I blame Murdoch.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

Re: World Cup Bid

by TFF » 04 Nov 2010 16:22

Personally I couldn't give a shiny shit about the bid.

The world cup makes for passable telly but I'm not sure I could get excited enough about Senegal vs South Korea to bother driving to Plymouth or Milton Keynes to go and watch it.

There's pretty much fcuk all chance of getting tickets for any important games much less an England match.

As long as it goes somewhere like Spain so matches are on at a decent hour I'm fine with it.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 04 Nov 2010 17:09

I'd like to see the World Cup in England. It's only happened once ever, and not in my lifetime. But The Times has done the right thing in exposing those taking payment for votes - if that fcuks off the voting committee, and the full scale of corruption is eventually revealed, then that's a good thing, and if it means waiting another decade for a World Cup in England, then so be it.

Magnus

by Magnus » 04 Nov 2010 17:10

cmonurz I'd like to see the World Cup in England. It's only happened once ever, and not in my lifetime. But The Times has done the right thing in exposing those taking payment for votes - if that fcuks off the voting committee, and the full scale of corruption is eventually revealed, then that's a good thing, and if it means waiting another decade for a World Cup in England, then so be it.

'greed.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 04 Nov 2010 17:11

We don't need to worry about it. Frimmers and RR have already decided that us football fans couldn't care less about the World Cup now Spurs are in the champions league.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 04 Nov 2010 23:25

I'd like to see the bid fail - because if nothing else the FA will get the argument "no need to refrom us, we won the WC bid" if they win it.

If they lose it there's no longer any excuse not to have reform.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 05 Nov 2010 09:50

Greatwesternline This could be for anything else.

I'm getting really pisssed off with the British media do what really can only be interpreted as entrapment, trying to catch out high powered person one after another with tempting them with money then splashing it when they don't act whiter then white

Why do the Sunday Times think people will go, oh well done, by exposing some dodgy african rep, you've really helped your country along with the world cup bid.

Surely whole country should be pulling together to make this happen.

How many more papers did the ST sell, would they not sell more papers if we just got the world cup and could do lots of nice features on it.

I blame Murdoch.

Hi Sepp!

AS much as i agree with your take on the British Media in general if the bid failed due to the corruption of certain FIFA reps then not exposing wouldn't have helped either.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 05 Nov 2010 13:16

Svlad Cjelli I'd like to see the bid fail - because if nothing else the FA will get the argument "no need to refrom us, we won the WC bid" if they win it.

If they lose it there's no longer any excuse not to have reform.

That's exactly what should have happened the last time the bid team lost.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 05 Nov 2010 14:06

I am sure a world cup here would be enjoyable but on the whole I prefer it to go to countries where the people don't usually get the opportunity to watch a high level of football already. Maybe some more joint bids would help those happen.

India
Australia/New Zealand
Maybe some kind of central & South American joint bid?

China have said that they will be going for 2026 and there has been talk of Colombia going for it too

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 05 Nov 2010 14:12

soggy biscuit Colombia going for it too

:shock:

Nailed on for a home win.

Would anyone dare score against them?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 05 Nov 2010 14:19

Colombia were supposed to host the '86 world cup weren't they?

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 05 Nov 2010 16:26

Silver Fox Colombia were supposed to host the '86 world cup weren't they?

They were indeed...viva Methico!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 06 Nov 2010 12:52

soggy biscuit I am sure a world cup here would be enjoyable but on the whole I prefer it to go to countries where the people don't usually get the opportunity to watch a high level of football already. Maybe some more joint bids would help those happen.

India
Australia/New Zealand

China have said that they will be going for 2026 and there has been talk of Colombia going for it too

Australia's already bidding for 2022, without New Zealand.

Magnus

by Magnus » 08 Nov 2010 14:06

soggy biscuit I am sure a world cup here would be enjoyable but on the whole I prefer it to go to countries where the people don't usually get the opportunity to watch a high level of football already. Maybe some more joint bids would help those happen.

India
Australia/New Zealand

After the shambles of the commonwealth games I think India can safely be ruled out.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 08 Nov 2010 18:45

I think we should win the bid and I'll be furious with respective newspapers if they cost us. We've got the stadiums, the infrastructure and the fans to stage a great one and our hooligans appear to be in decline.

If we do lose the bid, as is looking increasingly likely, it can't be to Russia. It's a hugely inappropriate country. Hostile to outsiders, dangerous and generally a mess. Don't believe me, [url]read this shocking interview posted on another thread[/url]. Quite simply, it will be a shameful, desperate attempt by Fifa to spread football to "unknown waters" without enough thought about if the country is ready and the consequences. Rather like Ukraine in 2012, some are arguing.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 08 Nov 2010 19:15

Silver Fox Colombia were supposed to host the '86 world cup weren't they?

Yep. They made a mess of it and Mexico stepped in at short notice.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Nov 2010 19:30

Bit harsh, didn't they have an earthquake?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 08 Nov 2010 19:50

Silver Fox Bit harsh, didn't they have an earthquake?

Don't know about an earthquake but they messed up big time. They had massive debts building up,drug problems getting worse(no change there) and didn't have the funds to build new stadia. In effect they couldn't have done much worse if they tried....
I cannot see Columbia ever hosting the World Cup Finals. Well not in our lifetimes.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Nov 2010 20:08

rhroyal I think we should win the bid and I'll be furious with respective newspapers if they cost us. We've got the stadiums, the infrastructure and the fans to stage a great one and our hooligans appear to be in decline.

If we do lose the bid, as is looking increasingly likely, it can't be to Russia. It's a hugely inappropriate country. Hostile to outsiders, dangerous and generally a mess. Don't believe me, [url]read this shocking interview posted on another thread[/url]. Quite simply, it will be a shameful, desperate attempt by Fifa to spread football to "unknown waters" without enough thought about if the country is ready and the consequences. Rather like Ukraine in 2012, some are arguing.

I love it when people (nothing personal m8)trot out about the stadiums and the infrastructure.
Most of our stadia are in the most difficult areas to get to by road or rail.
Take Old Trafford (a bit of a sprawling dump these days)as one that is difficult to get to as is the next largest Arsenal's Emirates in this crowded country of ours.
What about Wembley itself?-a diabolical location.
Personally I have no great desire for us to hold it again but maybe I'm being a bit selfish having been to 2 of the games in 1966.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 08 Nov 2010 20:14

I hope Spain get it, would much rather sip lager in a sunny Spanish city on match day than in London, done that on Saturday for gawd sake.

647 posts