So i guess Blackpool will now get fined?!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

So i guess Blackpool will now get fined?!

by TBM » 11 Nov 2010 09:51

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... olves-fine
Wolverhampton fined £25,000 over Mick McCarthy's 10-change tactics

Holloway made 10 changes at the game vs Villa last night......surely the league have to fine him, or at least removed the suspended fine, Wolves got, if they dont!!

Personally i think its stupid, you have a squad and the manager knows better than anyone who is right for the game.

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: So i guess Blackpool will now get fined?!

by Ferris » 11 Nov 2010 09:59

Totally agree, they gave Villa a good game as well! But, like you say, they have to fine him as they did it to Wolves, and he's said he'll quit if he get's fined. Probs just heat of the moment, can't see him quitting, but I'll be putting a couple of quid on him at 40/1 to be the next manager to leave, just in case.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 11 Nov 2010 10:17

My personal opinion is who are the league to judge who Ian Holloways or Mick Mccarthys strongest team on that day are. They have no way of judging fitness, stamina and mental fatigue of the dropped players in order to be able to make an accurate judgement of just what team would have been strongest.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 11 Nov 2010 10:23

ZacNaloen My personal opinion is who are the league to judge who Ian Holloways or Mick Mccarthys strongest team on that day are. They have no way of judging fitness, stamina and mental fatigue of the dropped players in order to be able to make an accurate judgement of just what team would have been strongest.

not to mention the simple fact that you register a squad at the start of the season so why not just get on with it from that group of players?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Nov 2010 10:34

Wax Jacket
ZacNaloen My personal opinion is who are the league to judge who Ian Holloways or Mick Mccarthys strongest team on that day are. They have no way of judging fitness, stamina and mental fatigue of the dropped players in order to be able to make an accurate judgement of just what team would have been strongest.

not to mention the simple fact that you register a squad at the start of the season so why not just get on with it from that group of players?

Exactly, I thought the squad list was meant to stop this nonsense.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 11 Nov 2010 12:30

The Premier League has confirmed it is investigating Ian Holloway's decision to make 10 changes to his Blackpool team for last night's 3-2 defeat at Aston Villa.

Good work. :roll:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 11 Nov 2010 12:38

And do the FL investigate Premier League clubs for making 9/10/11 changes for LC games or the FA when its an FA Cup game? Oh no I forgot if you're Chelsea, ManU, Liverpool etc you can do what you want cos you're a big club but if any smaller clubs try it then its disrespecting the competitions concerned as you can't possibly be operating with a squad of more than 20.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Nov 2010 12:52

Olly out!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Nov 2010 14:33

Mick Dennis, on SSNs this morning, made a good point that perhaps Holloway's outburst was a bit of a reaction to the FA/Premier League ducking out of punishing Redknapp the other week for his comments about the goal against Utd.

If they don't come up with a good excuse for nto fining Blackpool with the same punishment as Wolves then they're just going to look very very weak.

They probably need to tighten up their rules on this for next season so at least they can then have a ready made excuse for the next club to do it.

As for threatening to quit, well that's just stupid, unless he thinks he's done as much for Blackpool as possible and if he walked away now it'd be good for his reputation and next job prospects.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Nov 2010 16:22

Did Pompey get fined for fielding a weakened side against Fulham 1 week before the Cup Final? I think not.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 11 Nov 2010 16:36

The decision to fine Wolves last season has created a difficult situation but the days of expecting a regular eleven from each Club have long since passed. Surely the so called big Clubs have rested the likes of Torres and Rooney for matches in the past without any eyebrows being raised.

I know Wolves and Blackpool took it to extremes but I think it is just something we have to live with now. As previously mentioned Portsmouth rested players whe their opponents were playing a crucial match for their opponents and Liverpool did the same against Fulham three or four years ago. It isn't right but it's the way it is in modern football.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 11 Nov 2010 18:08

TBM http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/18/mick-mcarthy-wolves-fine
Wolverhampton fined £25,000 over Mick McCarthy's 10-change tactics

Holloway made 10 changes at the game vs Villa last night......surely the league have to fine him, or at least removed the suspended fine, Wolves got, if they dont!!

Personally i think its stupid, you have a squad and the manager knows better than anyone who is right for the game.

Agreed. The FA have no right to decide who should play and when. You have a squad for a reason. I hope they see sense and leave well alone this time.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Nov 2010 18:18

Elmer Park The decision to fine Wolves last season has created a difficult situation but the days of expecting a regular eleven from each Club have long since passed. Surely the so called big Clubs have rested the likes of Torres and Rooney for matches in the past without any eyebrows being raised.

I know Wolves and Blackpool took it to extremes but I think it is just something we have to live with now. As previously mentioned Portsmouth rested players whe their opponents were playing a crucial match for their opponents and Liverpool did the same against Fulham three or four years ago. It isn't right but it's the way it is in modern football.

If they do have any sense they will just come out and state that as all players used were part of the 25 man PL squad, no further action will be taken.

zummerset

by zummerset » 11 Nov 2010 18:22

I love Ollie and wish Rding had moved for him when he was building chicken houses. Great manager and a cracking football head. I think Brian has a bit of the Ollies about him...so I love him too.........

superreadingfan

by superreadingfan » 12 Nov 2010 12:20

PL fined wolves because they did it against a top team

no one cares about aston villa

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 12 Nov 2010 12:53

superreadingfan PL fined wolves because they did it against a top team

That doesn't make sense though, surely if the PL favour the big clubs then they would want Wolves to field a weakened team!?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 12 Nov 2010 12:57

TBM
superreadingfan PL fined wolves because they did it against a top team

That doesn't make sense though, surely if the PL favour the big clubs then they would want Wolves to field a weakened team!?

It's the fact that they might only field a weakened team against ONE of the big clubs that's the potential issue.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Nov 2010 13:06

It isn't right to sanction clubs who use players within their registered Premier League squad, for Premier League games. Assessors aren't at training, don't analyse how players are performing, and won't get that 'gut feel' about certain players before a match. Ultimately a manager should be free to choose the side he likes from his squad of players.

Of course the McCarthy/Holloway selections are a little different - they are obviously different sides but in both cases with player fatigue in mind. And for me resting players is a valid reason not to choose them for a game.

If we're going to fine Holloway, then we also need to fine Ferguson for resting Rooney, Wenger for resting Fabregas, and so on.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 12 Nov 2010 13:24

TBH, since all of the players used were within the named squad I can't see how a fine could be imposed.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Nov 2010 13:58

Svlad Cjelli TBH, since all of the players used were within the named squad I can't see how a fine could be imposed.

But surely the same could've been said about the weakened Wolves side. It may not have been a confirmed squad list, but they were all players in the Wolves squad.

Changing 9 or 10 players from one game to another is obviously picking a back up side instead of the first team, but ultimately that should be the managers prerogative.