CheLOLsea

9597 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CheLOLsea

by Winston Biscuit » 25 Sep 2023 13:37

paultheroyal I do find Chelsea fans so perplexing. Spoke to one at work today, forever defending club, owners, managers etc - always has done and totally plays down their run of form. Latest angle is "what do you expect when we are playing kids, and developing them etc etc" - is that true? Not been paying much attention but have they thrown all that money on kids?

they have definitely had a focus on buying up youngsters to lock down future talent, but I think a lot of those are not even playing.

research shows they have the lowest average squad age in the PL at 23.7 years old, but they have one of the biggest registered squads while also only using 20 players so far which is among the fewest of any club. So basically they do have a bunch of youngsters in their squad, but they don't play them

their starting XI at the weekend were 25, 20, 25, 39, 20, 21, 22, 23, 28, 22, 22
Last edited by Winston Biscuit on 25 Sep 2023 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 25 Sep 2023 13:43

Everyone knows that Pochettino builds for success and he won't be an immediate success
Which begs the question a) why he took the poisoned chalice and b) why the board got him in as CFC just want to be back at the top in the quickest time possible

You either get the Chelsea fans brought up in the 70's & 80's (and the 90's really) who watched Chelsea struggle for years or you get the Abramovich era Chelsea fans who expect nothing less than top 3 finish every season

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Sep 2023 14:12

I quite like the fact that they replaced a player nicknamed Dave with Thiago Silva.

Having said that, complaining about having to play youngsters is bit moot when one of the youngsters in question is a World Cup winner and cost £105m and another cost £110m.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 26 Sep 2023 09:29

RFCMod Everyone knows that Pochettino builds for success and he won't be an immediate success
Which begs the question a) why he took the poisoned chalice and b) why the board got him in as CFC just want to be back at the top in the quickest time possible

You either get the Chelsea fans brought up in the 70's & 80's (and the 90's really) who watched Chelsea struggle for years or you get the Abramovich era Chelsea fans who expect nothing less than top 3 finish every season

Good start at Southampton, in his first eight games they beat City, Liverpool and Chelsea. But yeah, his first Spurs sides were a bit wonky.

But as I've expressed here before - it's one thing not to have Chelsea in the CL spots, but quite another to have such a dismal record (I know most of it other managers) for nearly a year, with the squad at their disposal.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Oct 2023 20:07

Dominos having some fun with Chelsea's goalscoring troubles this morning.

It's an astonishing run though. Since they beat Villa just under a year ago, they have scored more than once in just six out of 35 league games. Under three different managers.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Oct 2023 20:22

Fulham 0-2 Chelsea. Of course this happened. :roll: :lol:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 Oct 2023 20:55

Sanguine Fulham 0-2 Chelsea. Of course this happened. :roll: :lol:

Didn't you at one time have some sort of connection at Fulham?
this is the sangers effect working once more and my Chelsea supporting son will be delighted.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Oct 2023 07:41

2 in under a minute, wasn’t it?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Oct 2023 09:45

Hendo

2 in under a minute, wasn’t it?

Yep. I went for a pee when the first goal went in, and when I came back they were celebrating the second. Strangely flat performance from Fulham. Chelsea were better, but weren't great.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 01 Feb 2024 08:56

genome It's times like these that I wish Kes was still around.

Agreed :lol:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Feb 2024 09:17

Zammo
genome It's times like these that I wish Kes was still around.

Agreed :lol:

It's sums the tw@t up that he isn't around now, down to a tee.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 Feb 2024 16:05

Who’s their manager now?

Doubt he will be tomorrow.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 07 Feb 2024 12:37

LUX Who’s their manager now?

Doubt he will be tomorrow.

Pochettino currently. Though there's talk of him being replaced soon too.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Feb 2024 14:53

Got to wonder if they'll end up in a situation similar to Everton. They don't have much FFP wiggle room to rebuild the squad; they bet big on signings made so far. Due to accounting rules and amortisation, their 8 year contracts make selling a player like Mudryk or Fernandez of no use, as any transfer fee would likely be less than their accounting value.

I doubt they'll encounter the same problems of a major funder/sponsor being sanctioned, but at some point they'll have to make a call on taking big FFP risks or accepting an unbalanced, mediocre squad. Mid table obscurity likely awaits.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Feb 2024 15:19

WestYorksRoyal Got to wonder if they'll end up in a situation similar to Everton. They don't have much FFP wiggle room to rebuild the squad; they bet big on signings made so far. Due to accounting rules and amortisation, their 8 year contracts make selling a player like Mudryk or Fernandez of no use, as any transfer fee would likely be less than their accounting value.

I doubt they'll encounter the same problems of a major funder/sponsor being sanctioned, but at some point they'll have to make a call on taking big FFP risks or accepting an unbalanced, mediocre squad. Mid table obscurity likely awaits.

Yep. Flagged this a few months ago - it's why the likes of Lukaku (two and a bit years into a five year deal, £97.5m fee) are on permanent loan. And that is the future for some of their recent signings too. It's all very 'clever' spreading the cost of these deals out, but it makes players impossible to move on.

They need these signings to come good - albeit frankly Pochettino has been disappointing. The squad might be young, but can you imagine the tune Klopp would be getting out of a midfield of Enzo, Caicedo and Palmer?

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 07 Feb 2024 19:41

Sanguine
WestYorksRoyal Got to wonder if they'll end up in a situation similar to Everton. They don't have much FFP wiggle room to rebuild the squad; they bet big on signings made so far. Due to accounting rules and amortisation, their 8 year contracts make selling a player like Mudryk or Fernandez of no use, as any transfer fee would likely be less than their accounting value.

It's all very 'clever' spreading the cost of these deals out, but it makes players impossible to move on.

+1

This is the position Utd has been in for several years. Underperforming players with huge contracts and overinflated fees that no other club will touch.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Feb 2024 05:55

BRO_BOT
Sanguine

It's all very 'clever' spreading the cost of these deals out, but it makes players impossible to move on.

+1

This is the position Utd has been in for several years. Underperforming players with huge contracts and overinflated fees that no other club will touch.

Which could be a real problem in the summer and be a cue for a ton of indignation and whining from much of their wonderful support about how poor little Chelsea are so hard done by and FFP is so unfair.

9597 posts