How many current football league grounds have you visited?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

Re: How many current football league grounds have you visited?

by T.R.O.L.I. » 28 Jul 2011 13:21

Red But if you're a fan of lower league football and more so old football league grounds, and are visiting family in Herefordshire of a weekend say, then I'd have no beef with someone taking a few hours out to visit Edgar Street on a Saturday afternoon, regardless of who the away team are.

Agree with that - if only to avoid the in-laws :lol:

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 28 Jul 2011 13:23

who are ya? What if you were a one team man who likes to follow their "beloved" club on away days and also doesn't wear a fleece :?:

Each to their own m8, not having a pop, it's just not for me that's all.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 28 Jul 2011 13:28

I fully understand, far too warm for fleeces anyway

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 28 Jul 2011 13:29

Red
who are ya? What if you were a one team man who likes to follow their "beloved" club on away days and also doesn't wear a fleece :?:

Each to their own m8, not having a pop, it's just not for me that's all.

What surprises me is to see you on GF at all - I thought you were generally disinterested in football.

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 28 Jul 2011 13:42

Oh I can hold a conversation about football, just has to centre around it's going to the dogs/is not what it used to be etc etc.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Jul 2011 13:51

T.R.O.L.I. Red - I refer you to my previous post. Would you not think it a little pathetic for a "fan of the game" to travel 200+ miles on a wet Tuesday evening in February just to tick another ground of the list?

I would like to invite Handbags Harris to comment on this.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 28 Jul 2011 14:37

floyd__streete
T.R.O.L.I. Red - I refer you to my previous post. Would you not think it a little pathetic for a "fan of the game" to travel 200+ miles on a wet Tuesday evening in February just to tick another ground of the list?

I would like to invite Handbags Harris fire up his spreadsheet.

Corrected for you ....

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

Re: 92 Club

by Wizard » 28 Jul 2011 18:35

T.R.O.L.I.
TheMaraudingDog If it's following one club then fair play. If not then you're a bit of a div.

Agreed - hence I only count grounds that I've seen Reading play at (55 now). Can't see the attraction of going to Hereford v Accrington on a Tuesday night just to tick Edgar Street off the list :lol:

i watched Hereford v Macclesfield on a tuesday night at Edgar Street last season 8)

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 28 Jul 2011 19:21

Does Kingsmeadow count, when I saw Reading play Kingstonian, rather than AFC Wimbledon?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 28 Jul 2011 19:30

I think it depends if you are doing it because you want to go to the game/ground, or if it is really about "ticking" another ground off the list.

I've been to loads of grounds for games that don't involve Reading, but it's always been because I wanted to go to the game, not to add another ground to a "collection".

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 28 Jul 2011 20:55

Red

That specific example is tragic whether you support the club or not.

But if you're a fan of lower league football and more so old football league grounds, and are visiting family in Herefordshire of a weekend say, then I'd have no beef with someone taking a few hours out to visit Edgar Street on a Saturday afternoon, regardless of who the away team are.

I was Oop North on business a couple of Years ago, and rather than face an evening in the hotel bar decided to see of there was any football on in the local area; there was - Accrington Stanley versus Darlington, in League 2.

It absolutely hammered down and there were 1,086 spectators to watch Stanley win 1-0.

Although I only went as a fan rather than a ground hopper, it still counts.

For the record, my total stands at 76 current grounds (the split across the divisions is 20, 23, 18 and 15).

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 28 Jul 2011 21:03

reading_fan Bristol Rovers last night took me up to 72 of the 92. Brighton's new ground is my only new ground in the Champo (went to Withdean), got 7 in League 1 and 12 in League 2, so reliant on random cup draws to complete the list. Obviously been to a lot more (over 100) when you add in ex-grounds, clubs no longer in the league and grounds on the continent.

How many has anyone else done?

That's quite alot considering you were formed in 2005.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 28 Jul 2011 22:13

floyd__streete

Invitation accepted.

Considering I've travelled 180 miles on a freezing cold December evening to watch an FA Cup game game attended by 1500 people, I'd be a hypocrite if I said anything other than no.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 29 Jul 2011 03:08

68 at last count but I was including clubs that have moved to new grounds, like Doncaster. Went to the old Belle Vue but not the Keepmoat.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 29 Jul 2011 09:48

handbags_harris
floyd__streete

Invitation accepted.

Considering I've travelled 180 miles on a freezing cold December evening to watch an FA Cup game game attended by 1500 people, I'd be a hypocrite if I said anything other than no.

I must admit I was obsessed for a couple of years - averaging 200 games plus all Reading matches and producing TTB fanzine at the time. I remember travelling up to Scunthorpe from Brighton on a Tuesday night on my birthday to see a game just to tick the ground off.

You might be surprised to hear I was single and didn't have a girlfriend for this period of time.

*nowizardo*

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Jul 2011 13:45

Royal With Cheese
handbags_harris Invitation accepted.

I must admit I was obsessed for a couple of years - averaging 200 games plus all Reading matches and producing TTB fanzine at the time. I remember travelling up to Scunthorpe from Brighton on a Tuesday night on my birthday to see a game just to tick the ground off.

You might be surprised to hear I was single and didn't have a girlfriend for this period of time.

*nowizardo*

If I had the opportunity to do 200-odd games a season then I would jump at the chance. I wouldn't keep it just to the UK though, I'd go worldwide. That's not to tick grounds off (although as I've alluded to it's part of the draw) it's more to just watch football.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 31 Jul 2011 23:03

Svlad Cjelli
Silver Fox I didn't think friendlies counted

Lots of different rules can apply - but for most people it's seeing a bona-fide game at the ground, which does include friendlies.

This. Any proper match at a ground counts. My list does all include Redditch United, by virtue of me playing in the final of the Worcestershire league Cup there (and winning).

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 01 Aug 2011 08:46

reading_fan
Svlad Cjelli
Silver Fox I didn't think friendlies counted

Lots of different rules can apply - but for most people it's seeing a bona-fide game at the ground, which does include friendlies.

This. Any proper match at a ground counts. My list does all include Redditch United, by virtue of me playing in the final of the Worcestershire league Cup there (and winning).

For me friendlies do not count, i think thats the official rule for the 92 club as well. But I think the point is you make your own rules up, and for me a freindly is exactly that, not a proper game.

I will need to redo my figures as we lose Lincoln, Stockport and Brighton (all done) and gain Brighton, Crawley and Wimbledon (done Wimbledon). Got it down to 4 needed once but heading backwards these days. Just dont have the motivation to go to a new lego set unless Reading are playing there.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 03 Aug 2011 13:16

if I were to do it I'd say first-team matches only. FA Cup, LC, League, Johnstone's Paint, Europe

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 03 Aug 2011 15:01

Wax Jacket if I were to do it I'd say first-team matches only. FA Cup, LC, League, Johnstone's Paint, Europe

Agree not sure I would include the JPT. The Simod cup counts as that was a major trophy................. :D