No votes
Finney
No votes

Total votes: 29
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Englands Best Striker?

by Hoop Blah » 09 Sep 2015 10:59

In the wake of Rooney breaking Bobby Charlton's record there is a debate on BBC Sport as to who is the best English attacker of all time.

I think Rooney gets a undue amount of stick for England and it's an amazing achievement to break the record in this day and age but I wouldn't really argue he's our greatest ever forward just because he's scored more goals. He's certainly not the flat track bully people make him out to be, certainly not when compared to Charlton's record.

Shearer is the most complete forward I've seen. Lineker probably the best out and out goalscorer (I saw) and obviously Charlton was an immense player and scored that many goals, largely from an attacking midfield position. Can any of them really top Jimmy Greaves for pure goals though?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Englands Best Striker?

by LUX » 09 Sep 2015 11:09

for a while it was Owen, no question, but he did not last the distance. So I voted Gary Lineker. I used to watch him when I lived in Leicester, he'd score 20 goals in a rubbish relegated team. Gr8 finisher, gr8 scoring record (inc. for England). I think I am right in saying that he started playing for England at a relatively l8 stage (?) and still got close to Charlton's record.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 09 Sep 2015 11:17

For me its Lineker but i reckon if Shearer avoided injury leading up to the 94 WC then we could have got there and he would have got more goals.....also the fact he retired at 29 means he missed out on beating the record (he got on average a goal every other game for England, 30 in 63)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Sep 2015 11:17

Debut at 24, played his 80 games across an 8 year period.

I think Rooney's longevity of England career is an amazing achievement in itself. It might be helped by a general lack of quality forwards as alternatives over the last 5-10 years though, but considering he's been playing for 12 years already, and he's only 29, it's quite something in iteslf.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Sep 2015 11:20

TBM For me its Lineker but i reckon if Shearer avoided injury leading up to the 94 WC then we could have got there and he would have got more goals.....also the fact he retired at 29 means he missed out on beating the record (he got on average a goal every other game for England, 30 in 63)

Shearer's the most complete forward I've seen for England, but I just can't get over him walking away from England so early.

Shearer and Sheringham was an awesome pairing, but I'd loved to have seen Rooney playing off Shearer in his peak. Those two together would've been even better and a right handful.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Sep 2015 11:29

Lineker for me, I do think Rooney gets a lot of backhanded compliments about his record when he should really be appreciated more. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays in another 3 tournaments (qualifying at least) so how many will he end up with?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Sep 2015 11:32

Credit to Rooney on his achievement but he is not the best ever striker for England, that has to be Jimmy Greaves as with 44 goals from 57 appearances that should be around 70-80 goals from the same number of appearances that Rooney has.

Interesting to know what the overall goals per game ratio is for all England players past and present that have won at least 20 caps, bet there's a few surprises to be had there...

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 09 Sep 2015 11:35

Gary Lineker without question.

No Geoff Hurst on the list? Haven't checked, but assume bar a World Cup final hat trick he was not a prolific striker (club or country)?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Sep 2015 11:36

Well Nat Lofthouse got 30 in 33 games so there's one who'd be right up there!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Sep 2015 11:41

Zammo Gary Lineker without question.

No Geoff Hurst on the list? Haven't checked, but assume bar a World Cup final hat trick he was not a prolific striker (club or country)?

I couldn't find the actual vote the Beeb where talking about so I just did the top 8 scorers. Turns out Hurst got 24 in 49 games.

Best goals per game ratio is Vivian Woodward who got 29 in 23 games.

I really don't think you can compare records over time, or even players to be fair, because different era's bring different demands and different styles. As an example, as good as Lineker was, I don't think he'd have really prospered in this era because of his style of play.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Sep 2015 11:47

Hoop Blah
Zammo Gary Lineker without question.

I couldn't find the actual vote the Beeb where talking about so I just did the top 8 scorers. Turns out Hurst got 24 in 49 games.

Best goals per game ratio is Vivian Woodward who got 29 in 23 games.

I really don't think you can compare records over time, or even players to be fair, because different era's bring different demands and different styles. As an example, as good as Lineker was, I don't think he'd have really prospered in this era because of his style of play.

Likewise you could argue that Rooney hasn't really prospered given the number of times he's pushed upfront as the sole striker.....

Funny thing is though, I don't think Rooney would make it into many people's all time England XI or even a best XI since 1992 (when football actually started).

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 09 Sep 2015 11:50

Quite clearly it's Rooney. He's scored more goals than any other England player.

Stats don't lie.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 09 Sep 2015 11:52

Crouch

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Sep 2015 11:54

As a striker it has to be Lineker for me - incredibly gifted and natural finisher, also very strong on the ball (like Rooney) and lest we forget did it all without a single yellow card to his name.

Shearer was and is as all-round a forward as England have had since I started watching football at Italia '90, he could do many things Lineker couldn't, but like HB his early international retirement grates with me.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Sep 2015 11:57

Sutekh Likewise you could argue that Rooney hasn't really prospered given the number of times he's pushed upfront as the sole striker.....

Absolutely, he's rarely been used in his best position for England (in behind a number 9 IMO), and he even played out wide on quite a few occasions, not something a Lineker or Greaves would ever have done for England.

Sutekh Funny thing is though, I don't think Rooney would make it into many people's all time England XI or even a best XI since 1992 (when football actually started).

Probably true. Shearer and Owen would probably be the front two for most I guess, although I think Rooney behind either one of them would be the better partnership in reality. I guess Rooney is one of those players who just doesn't really appeal or capture the imagination in the same way as a Gazza, Owen or even Gerrard did. He's doesn't come across as the most personable or charismatic, but that's probably a product of the environment he's grown up in more than anything.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Sep 2015 11:58

No Fixed Abode Quite clearly it's Rooney. He's scored more goals than any other England player.

Stats don't lie.

So last week Charlton was a better player than Rooney, but this week its Rooney?

Interesting view on things Kes.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 09 Sep 2015 12:00

Hoop Blah
No Fixed Abode Quite clearly it's Rooney. He's scored more goals than any other England player.

Stats don't lie.

So last week Charlton was a better player than Rooney, but this week its Rooney?

The question was "England's best striker". Not England's best player.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 09 Sep 2015 12:01

Sanguine and lest we forget did it all without a single yellow card to his name.

That's sealed the deal. Deffo Lineker. :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Sep 2015 12:13

No Fixed Abode The question was "England's best striker". Not England's best player.

OK, so last week Charlton was the better striker but this week it's Rooney?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 09 Sep 2015 12:19

No Fixed Abode
Hoop Blah

Stats don't lie.

The question was "England's best striker". Not England's best player.

But you could argue Rooney has had more attempts at beating the record.....if you work on goals per game ratio it wouldn't be Rooney