Changes In Football thread

124 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Changes In Football thread

by Sutekh » 16 Dec 2022 18:26

Winston Biscuit Club World Cup expanded from 7 teams to 32 teams from 2025

Never heard of it, who won the last one?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Dec 2022 18:37

Sutekh

Never heard of it, who won the last one?

Chelsea

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 21 Dec 2022 12:59

Winston Biscuit
Sanguine

And will become a tournament held only every four years. Infantino's vision is 'a World Cup, but for clubs'. Will be pointless and not much more than an expanded CL with some South American clubs making the QFs.

I think the every 4 years tournament is the new FIFA World Series isn't it?

Few reports that Infantino wants the World Cup every 3 years, after plans for biennial WCs were rejected. And the money from the expanded Club World Cup might help it happen. :roll:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Dec 2022 16:14

Whore Jackie
Winston Biscuit
Sanguine
And will become a tournament held only every four years. Infantino's vision is 'a World Cup, but for clubs'. Will be pointless and not much more than an expanded CL with some South American clubs making the QFs.

I think the every 4 years tournament is the new FIFA World Series isn't it?

Few reports that Infantino wants the World Cup every 3 years, after plans for biennial WCs were rejected. And the money from the expanded Club World Cup might help it happen. :roll:

How infantile.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 Dec 2022 16:40

When is the twat up for re-election?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Dec 2022 17:06

6ft Kerplunk When is the twat up for re-election?

Same old FIFA, nothing has changed really since Blatter.

Infantile was elected in 2019 and will serve until 2023. He is only allowed to serve 3 terms as president (FIFA have introduced a limit after the excess of the aforementioned incumbent who went on and on and on and on). As he took over in 2016 he will only be allowed one more term of four years.

Given the gravy train role that the presidency is (worth around $3m pa in salary alone) he is bound to run again and you need 5 (FIVE) individual federations to endorse an opponent [which I think is a complete joke] before he has a challenger though I presume the federations could fail to endorse his re-election if he was the only runner thereby forcing an election. However with UEFA and CONMEBOL both being very anti his plan to change the World Cup frequency there may well be enough support to find an opponent.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Jan 2023 14:27

Just learned that in the Brazilian cup when a team wins by 3 goals or more the 2nd leg is called off and the winning team goes straight through to the next round

I think I quite like that idea. encourages attacking football. a team 2 up with 5 mins to spare will be bombing forward to get that 3rd goal rather than wandering towards the corner flag

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jan 2023 14:46

While I like that idea it rather destroys any hope of those “miracle” second leg come backs. e.g. Barca v Liverpool

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Jan 2023 15:02

I was only thinking of it being like a League cup only rule. an incentive to score more so as to cut down the fixture list.

I think it would be great to see a big club 2 up at home to a 4th tier club with 2 minutes to go, small club defending with their lives to get the 2nd leg home tie, big club desperate to score so as to get the 2nd leg called off

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Jun 2023 21:49

Change for 23/24 seasons

MULTIBALL / TOWELS

The EFL will introduce a multiball system in all its competitions for the 2023/24 season. Match balls will be placed on cones in designated areas at pitch side to help increase the time of the ball being in play. Meanwhile, Clubs will no longer be permitted to use towels or other articles, including items obtained from spectators to dry footballs during matches

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jun 2023 06:27

Winston Biscuit Change for 23/24 seasons

MULTIBALL / TOWELS

The EFL will introduce a multiball system in all its competitions for the 2023/24 season. Match balls will be placed on cones in designated areas at pitch side to help increase the time of the ball being in play. Meanwhile, Clubs will no longer be permitted to use towels or other articles, including items obtained from spectators to dry footballs during matches

So will players now be booked for drying balls on their shirts?

Had multi ball in 2005/06 and the FL/PL threw the idea out, probably because Reading used it to great effect.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Jun 2023 06:30

Sutekh

MULTIBALL / TOWELS

Had multi ball in 2005/06 and the FL/PL threw the idea out, probably because Reading used it to great effect.

We got stopped from using it back then by those in charge as our fans were not giving the ball back quick enough. True story. We were one of 3 or 4 clubs in the Champ not allowed for a period of time. It didn't seem to get reported (probs because its a boring non story) but I had access to football league docs at the time which confirmed each week who could and couldn't have it

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jun 2023 08:58

Winston Biscuit
Sutekh

We got stopped from using it back then by those in charge as our fans were not giving the ball back quick enough. True story. We were one of 3 or 4 clubs in the Champ not allowed for a period of time. It didn't seem to get reported (probs because its a boring non story) but I had access to football league docs at the time which confirmed each week who could and couldn't have it

:lol: Who'd have thought that fans wouldn't give the ball back quick enough to the opposition. Now looking forward to the wind blowing the spare balls off of the "cones" during play though.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Jun 2023 17:04

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/june/changes-to-championship-substitutions/

Following a discussion by EFL Clubs regarding the number of substitutes named in matchday squads, Championship Clubs have opted to use five substitutes from nine named (an increase from seven named) from the 2023-24 season.

Clubs in League One and League Two will continue to use five substitutes from seven named on the bench.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Jul 2023 14:34

FIFA trialing a change to the offside law so that you are only offside if the whole of the attacking players body is beyond the defenders body

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Jul 2023 15:51

Winston Biscuit FIFA trialing a change to the offside law so that you are only offside if the whole of the attacking players body is beyond the defenders body

Makes sense.

Offside was only meant to be to stop players gaining an advantage by goalhanging etc, not to be some kind of technical infringement.

Now, if they can revert the handball rule to be about stopping players controlling/blocking the ball with their arm, rather than being handball if the ball so much as grazes a player's arm, the game would be much improved.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jul 2023 16:01

tmesis
Winston Biscuit FIFA trialing a change to the offside law so that you are only offside if the whole of the attacking players body is beyond the defenders body

Makes sense.

Offside was only meant to be to stop players gaining an advantage by goalhanging etc, not to be some kind of technical infringement.

Now, if they can revert the handball rule to be about stopping players controlling/blocking the ball with their arm, rather than being handball if the ball so much as grazes a player's arm, the game would be much improved.

Just moves the point of technicality really, so instead of checking to see if a knee is a mm ahead of the defender, they'll be checking to see if there is anything at all level with the defender.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Jul 2023 16:40

I like it. I've said before that I don't like players being offside just because a defender is leaning forward, when both players' feet are side by side.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jul 2023 16:45

Richarlison is getting the golden boot next season.

katweslowski

by katweslowski » 03 Jul 2023 16:47

genome Richarlison is getting the golden boot next season.

Hopefully in the face. I hate him

124 posts